Professional recommendations dropping Huge dead oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FR3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Looking for some input on the best way to go about dropping this massive 50-60” diameter dead oak.
It’s been dead for several years, all the bark is gone, some visible rot and several branches have fallen off.

My biggest concern is having a limb come down while falling/wedging.
Considering climbing and dropping the limbs, but also concerned about rot and having it break apart while I’m in the tree.

please let me know your thoughts… 54AE9F22-DA12-4974-8660-2021FFB88336.jpeg92046585-594B-4020-9A71-1185C4CCE812.jpeg4AF184FD-2922-4802-BFCF-BF2344E65FDF.jpeg

If it's not solid, I wouldn't try to climb it to remove the larger side branches.
I would remove what limbs I could reach from the ground to help direct the falling direction.
Slingshot a rope as high up as could and tension it in the optimum falling direction.
The actual main cut at the stump really depends on the condition of the trunk wood.
If it was solid, you could fall it like any other tree, but best to treat it as compromised just to be safe.
This is a job best left to a skilled pro.

Here is a closer pic of the trunk at ground level… it definitely has visible rot on the outer layer. I’d need to make a test cut or take a few chunks out with the axe to see how soft it is.
Assuming it’s too soft/rotted to fall with standard undercut / back cut, what other options would there be for safely getting it to the ground?DD82076F-0C7D-45A8-9370-8F4EB15C841A.jpeg

If it is not threatening people or property just leave it.

It is good habitat.

It will likely 'melt down' and fall in small pieces right there in the woods over time.

Felling it is a quite dangerous task, IMO, as large limbs are going to break off and may fall towards the feller.

going with your top picture. i would put teh open face under the 2 y branches. it would put a slope on the bottom side and go really deep . maybe 50% then go to teh far side and cut above the level line. and be ready to set double wedges and steel wedges . you could toss a rope up in it and set a winch if you wanted to. you probab ly dont need to .

If it is not threatening people or property just leave it.

It is good habitat.

It will likely 'melt down' and fall in small pieces right there in the woods over time.

Felling it is a quite dangerous task, IMO, as large limbs are going to break off and may fall towards the feller.
I’d leave it if it wasn’t right next to a trail we use often. My buddy’s son was almost hit by a falling branch from it while he and my son were riding their dirt bikes on the trail.

The first thing I do on a tree like that is get a rope in each of the major limbs and literally shake the **** out of it from a distance... see what rattles out, and sometimes just snaps them off. Repeat the process all around until you are comfortable all overhead hazards have been minimized, then assess what is left.

The first thing I do on a tree like that is get a rope in each of the major limbs and literally shake the **** out of it from a distance... see what rattles out, and sometimes just snaps them off. Repeat the process all around until you are comfortable all overhead hazards have been minimized, then assess what is left.
Great idea… Thanks for the input!

Manual pole pruner could get some of the branches out if that makes any difference, looks like you want it to fall to where pic was taken as I see a couple nice conifers in the back.

So I bored in about 20” today… couple things to note… the chips were completely dry (like cutting into well seasoned firewood) none of it was soft or dough like.

I also cut a few rounds off a fallen limb 10-12” diameter… all but the first 1/2” or so was solid.

It has a pretty good lean to one side. (2-3’ from center of trunk at the top)
Planning to fall it in direction of its natural lean, contemplating removing the limb on the left before felling… thoughts? 1EBB08CC-4DAE-4153-8945-ACE1B526643D.jpeg

By climbing or pole pruner? Glad the tree is solid.
Haven’t decided yet, I was also considering clearing some of the underbrush around it and backing my pickup up to the trunk, pretty sure I could reach it comfortably standing on the tailgate.

Haven’t decided yet, I was also considering clearing some of the underbrush around it and backing my pickup up to the trunk, pretty sure I could reach it comfortably standing on the tailgate.
That's a really good way to end up with a busted truck, man. Or you. Cutting limbs from height is very different, and you have no idea what shape the upper limbs are in? Did you rope test it?

I just looked all the way back through this thread, and I didn't see a single pro recommend the " back a truck up to it" method... in fact the only place that showed up was in the injury forum and the videos forum...
Yeah.. it was a pretty stupid idea… I was able to rope test the 4 larger branches and they didn’t budge or make any noise.
Still plan to rope test the upper branches before falling it.

Back