Professional recommendations dropping Huge dead oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s awesome. Glad to see it all worked out for you. The picture of the scarf looks pretty textbook. Nice bit of holding wood and the tree seems to have gone in the exact direction as the scarf. Keep up the good work.

Well done, my friend, glad it is done and everyone walked away... at the end of the day that is all that matters
Thanks for all the recommendations, specifically the “rope test” after seeing what it handled without shaking anything loose or making any noises, it was much less nerve racking making the cuts.

Although I did have an oh s*** moment when I tapped the first wedge in the right side of the back cut and the outer layer broke off with rot underneath. I shaved about 3” off in the center and found solid wood to set the wedge. Although with the lean it was really for piece of mind more than anything.
About 15% of the trunk (rt side of back cut area) was soft.
I didn’t realize it when I bore cut it last weekend, I bore cut where I planned and cut the notch, and it was all solid.

Thanks for all the recommendations, specifically the “rope test” after seeing what it handled without shaking anything loose or making any noises, it was much less nerve racking making the cuts.

Although I did have an oh s*** moment when I tapped the first wedge in the right side of the back cut and the outer layer broke off with rot underneath. I shaved about 3” off in the center and found solid wood to set the wedge. Although with the lean it was really for piece of mind more than anything.
About 15% of the trunk (rt side of back cut area) was soft.
I didn’t realize it when I bore cut it last weekend, I bore cut where I planned and cut the notch, and it was all solid.
So in the spirit of this forum, give us an after action report... what did you learn, what what would you have done differently, what worked that you didn't expect? This is all about passing on knowledge and experience to the next guy

So in the spirit of this forum, give us an after action report... what did you learn, what what would you have done differently, what worked that you didn't expect? This is all about passing on knowledge and experience to the next guy
Given that the outcome was that it fell in direction and manner it was planned, I wouldn’t change much.

If I have to fell another dead tree of that size, I’d have spent a little more time investigating the condition of the wood all the way around the cut area. (Remove bark if any) Maybe shave some of the outer away before cutting.

While this one came down with out any issues, things could have been a lot different if that rot area was larger, or in a different area (holding wood specifically)

Obviously any time you are dealing with “dead” wood the level of danger is much higher than felling live or recently dead.

Inspect and determine risk level, some are too dangerous and or unpredictable to safely fell from the ground, for me personally, if it was in much worse shape than it was, I would have considered renting a JLG or some type of lift to safely remove it in small sections from the top.

As I think you have progressed a long way and seem to understand your own abilities and limitations I think I can point you towards videos like this without fear of you attempting the content. These guy's go in after bushfires to make areas near roads and the such safe. Obviously these guys are crazy talented and experienced. I hope that link works, my computer skills are limited.

Given that the outcome was that it fell in direction and manner it was planned, I wouldn’t change much.

If I have to fell another dead tree of that size, I’d have spent a little more time investigating the condition of the wood all the way around the cut area. (Remove bark if any) Maybe shave some of the outer away before cutting.

While this one came down with out any issues, things could have been a lot different if that rot area was larger, or in a different area (holding wood specifically)

Obviously any time you are dealing with “dead” wood the level of danger is much higher than felling live or recently dead.

Inspect and determine risk level, some are too dangerous and or unpredictable to safely fell from the ground, for me personally, if it was in much worse shape than it was, I would have considered renting a JLG or some type of lift to safely remove it in small sections from the top.
So at no point would you consider hiring a professional, being safe, and possibly learning something? You would rather support your local rental company rather than your local tree companies? Interesting.

If it's not solid, I wouldn't try to climb it to remove the larger side branches.
I would remove what limbs I could reach from the ground to help direct the falling direction.
Slingshot a rope as high up as could and tension it in the optimum falling direction.
The actual main cut at the stump really depends on the condition of the trunk wood.
If it was solid, you could fall it like any other tree, but best to treat it as compromised just to be safe.
This is a job best left to a skilled pro.
Straight up said buzz line and tension and if uncomfortable at all call pro

So at no point would you consider hiring a professional, being safe, and possibly learning something? You would rather support your local rental company rather than your local tree companies? Interesting.

Are you actually serious with that post? He successfully felled a tree which would be considered awkward at best and you are accusing him of depriving the local tree services from making a profit from the job?

I have absolutely nothing against supporting a local tree company. If I had anything I felt was beyond my abilities, I would certainly consider hiring a professional.

However, I am a very capable person and I personally like to handle as much of my property/ issues/ breakdowns as my knowledge/ common sense/ skill level/ ability to research and comprehend allows. I’m a pretty handy guy and typically don’t hire someone to do something I’m capable of doing.

As the last part of my post reads “for me personally” I would have considered renting a JLG or lift…. Partly because I live on 12 acres of property and always have projects going on…
Last fall I installed an at home batting cage and pitching machine for my son, at some point I plan to install lighting for the cage, which I will likely install poles and rent a lift to assist with doing the electrical and lights…

Again, nothing against someone hiring a professional, I just prefer to handle and take care of things I’m capable of.

I have absolutely nothing against supporting a local tree company. If I had anything I felt was beyond my abilities, I would certainly consider hiring a professional.

However, I am a very capable person and I personally like to handle as much of my property/ issues/ breakdowns as my knowledge/ common sense/ skill level/ ability to research and comprehend allows. I’m a pretty handy guy and typically don’t hire someone to do something I’m capable of doing.

As the last part of my post reads “for me personally” I would have considered renting a JLG or lift…. Partly because I live on 12 acres of property and always have projects going on…
Last fall I installed an at home batting cage and pitching machine for my son, at some point I plan to install lighting for the cage, which I will likely install poles and rent a lift to assist with doing the electrical and lights…

Again, nothing against someone hiring a professional, I just prefer to handle and take care of things I’m capable of.
You are an extremely capable amateur. I assume you have some previous experience with mechanical lifters as most people who are willing to fork out to hire one are pretty confident they can get their moneys worth. If not, I'm sure there are plenty of people here that would offer advice.
I say "lead on McDuff and together we shall conquer the world".

As I think you have progressed a long way and seem to understand your own abilities and limitations I think I can point you towards videos like this without fear of you attempting the content. These guy's go in after bushfires to make areas near roads and the such safe. Obviously these guys are crazy talented and experienced. I hope that link works, my computer skills are limited.

Awesome video…
Thanks for the comments. I can assure you if there was anything like those on my property, I would absolutely call in a professional and support a local tree company.

Awesome video…
Thanks for the comments. I can assure you if there was anything like those on my property, I would absolutely call in a professional and support a local tree company.
I've worked in trees for twenty years but would run screaming from a job like that.

You are an extremely capable amateur. I assume you have some previous experience with mechanical lifters as most people who are willing to fork out to hire one are pretty confident they can get their moneys worth. If not, I'm sure there are plenty of people here that would offer advice.
I say "lead on McDuff and together we shall conquer the world".
A couple years ago I spent almost everyday for 5-6 months working from a JLG lift

One tip I think is worth pointing out in those clips is how regularly they leave their saws in the cut. A saw might be your pride and joy and expensive to replace but it's never worth your life.

There you go. I think that might elevate you from amateur to professional. Maybe not in trees until your neighbours notice your success and ask for advice or assistance to deal with their tree issues. Even if the reward is only a carton, I would consider it payment and elevate you to professional tree feller.

Are you actually serious with that post? He successfully felled a tree which would be considered awkward at best and you are accusing him of depriving the local tree services from making a profit from the job?
Yes, I am saying if his choices were to rent a lift or hire a professional his money would be better spent to hire a professional and learn something than to rent a lift and learn nothing... and the pro would probably be cheaper than the lift.

Yes, I am saying if his choices were to rent a lift or hire a professional his money would be better spent to hire a professional and learn something than to rent a lift and learn nothing... and the pro would probably be cheaper than the lift.
But he completed the job with neither and probably learnt a lot more by doing so.

But he completed the job with neither and probably learnt a lot more by doing so.

Agreed. The fellows tree is on the ground, no one hurt, and he added to the resume a bit.

I have a fair bit of of just "Get'R'Done" in me and not ashamed to admit it. I got that from my dad who grew up during the Great Depression and I'm not ashamed of the trait. I've learned a lot through the simple desire to tackle something on my own, and sometimes due to a lack of funds to pay someone else to do it. When I take on a task (or challenge) that could be deadly, or very expensive if it goes badly I test for the following:

1) Do I think I can I do this without dying?
2) Do I think I can do this without dying if a known risk factor comes to pass?
3) Do I think I can do this without dying even if the unexpected but possible happens?
4) Am I feeling lucky?

Once the first four points are covered to my satisfaction I give myself a moment to ponder - Will I regret doing this if things go sideways and get expensive? If the last answer is "It'll be all right" then Get'R'Done. :)

So far my calculations in life have been mostly decent, only the occasional close shave has left lasting marks. Should my luck run out and I die doing something dangerous I've left instructions with my daughter to have "He said it seemed like a good idea at the time..." as the epitaph on my tombstone.

Latest posts

Back