Professional recommendations dropping Huge dead oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there's something to be cut down, there's always at least two of us. If there's something to be cut up, it's often done alone. It's all about the direction I guess.
Blanket statements about ladders and saws is as foolish as saying never run with scissors. Think it's wrong, don't do it. Think it can't be done safely, then you're incapable of differentiating between what is and isn't a real hazard. OSHA rules are written for those people and they will always show as proof guys 30' up in a tree being knocked on the ground when it barber chairs or the ladder falls off the tree. That isn't every ladder, every tree, and every cutting situation. Stay close to the ground on your ladder with your theater of operation limited to limbs as was contemplated in my original suggestion.
There are people that really shouldn’t run with scissors. Usually, they only have access to plastic scissors so their injuries are only minor.

Are we still discussing the tree from the original post. Surely it has fallen to ground, rotted and can now be used to fuel your car. Oil only takes a few million years to form. It should be well ready’d by now.

Your pages will be changing because I am deleting all the off topic posts. Yours & mine, and anyone else that didn't stick to the dead oak.

I was mistakenly allowing this thread to go far afield of it's topic. Fixing it now, but it takes some time. To those that committed time & keystrokes that are now gone... Sorry 'bout that. Let's not go so far off topic in the future, please.

Just for the record, I was as far off topic as anyone else. No fingers being pointed at anyone, here.
My fingers are too arthritic to point these days.

There are people that really shouldn’t run with scissors. Usually, they only have access to plastic scissors so their injuries are only minor.
Are you saying I should only have access to plastic scissors? Have you tried to cut paper dolls out of paper with plastic scissors?

Are you saying I should only have access to plastic scissors? Have you tried to cut paper dolls out of paper with plastic scissors?
I’m sure I would have found a way to sharpen them. Can’t be wondering around the lunch room without a shiv.

Say fellas! How 'bout we stay a little bit closer to topic, here. Don't make me come in later and pass out warnings for wandering off topic or getting into a verbal spat. In case you weren't aware, we got rules for that kind of thing.

#5: “Trolling” is not permitted - posting controversial (sometimes off-topic) messages with the intent of baiting other users to reply will result in a warning.

Say fellas! How 'bout we stay a little bit closer to topic, here. Don't make me come in later and pass out warnings for wandering off topic or getting into a verbal spat. In case you weren't aware, we got rules for that kind of thing.

#5: “Trolling” is not permitted - posting controversial (sometimes off-topic) messages with the intent of baiting other users to reply will result in a warning.
Is there some way to roll this conversation into a different thread? I know we have gone completely off topic but it would be sad to lose this conversation.

Yes. Quite easy. Wander on down to the off-topic forum, where almost any topic is fair game.
https://www.arboristsite.com/forums/off-the-topic-forum.11/
Start your own thread, or pick one that appeals to you and jump right in.
If you wish, you may even copy the thread you wish to continue to, and paste that link in this thread.

Please remember, however, that all the rules about courtesy on this website still apply.

Yes. Quite easy. Wander on down to the off-topic forum, where almost any topic is fair game.
https://www.arboristsite.com/forums/off-the-topic-forum.11/
Start your own thread, or pick one that appeals to you and jump right in.
If you wish, you may even copy the thread you wish to continue to, and paste that link in this thread.

Please remember, however, that all the rules about courtesy on this website still apply.
Sorry, all I heard then was the tune they play when the bear is driving the car at the circus. I heard something about cutting and pasting but I don’t think even my best scissors would be sharp enough to cut an iPhone.

I am chastened.
If all else fails, a lawnmower is quite up to the task. So I’ve heard…
View attachment 967887

If all else fails, a lawnmower is quite up to the task. So I’ve heard…
View attachment 967887
I did find that the Samsung I tried was susceptible to a block splitter. I fear that the latest iPhone's would just melt back together like the second Terminator.

Might just pole prune it for safety reasons, dead wood has a mind of its own sometimes.
Indeed. Visiting my Dad's place in CT; I do some tree work while I am here because I just gotta. Black Locust tend to uproot regularly; I undercut one about 10 ft. from the stump that was over a trail; it was also hung up in a big dead white pine branch. Figured no big deal -- but the shock of the butt hitting the ground also broke the pine branch, and everything crashed down in a few seconds. I was out of the way, but did not expect that. Just a 60 ft., 14 in. locust on a 40 ft., 8 in. pine branch (actually a dead side trunk). But big enough to knock you over with the saw running, maybe drive the bar into you before you hit the chain break, or maybe pin you to the ground out of shouting range for help. At least I had a helmet on.

Stay safe.

Well… I shook the s*** out of it for 30+ mins… Put a good bit of pressure on it with a come along pulling one of the larger branches down a good 1’-1 1/2’ and let it go all at once and it still didn’t shake anything loose. So I felt pretty confident nothing would fall from above while felling it.
Its on the ground with only 1 small casualty (small 5” oak was victim to it on the way down)
423E504A-9FF2-4E0C-BADB-141985D162B5.jpeg16511F7B-98E3-461B-9602-093ED1B419AF.jpegF29A4E90-3804-45F3-81EB-5ACF3B33D79A.png

Well… I shook the s*** out of it for 30+ mins… Put a good bit of pressure on it with a come along pulling one of the larger branches down a good 1’-1 1/2’ and let it go all at once and it still didn’t shake anything loose. So I felt pretty confident nothing would fall from above while felling it.
Its on the ground with only 1 small casualty (small 5” oak was victim to it on the way down)
View attachment 968607View attachment 968608View attachment 968609
Good job! Looks like a lot of good firewood and maybe some interesting slabs. The top had rot so that shows how shaking it isn't a way to judge if it's rotten but can tell if anything is about to fall out of it. You cutting on it vibrated it less than you're shaking did. :clap:

Good job! Looks like a lot of good firewood and maybe some interesting slabs. The top had rot so that shows how shaking it isn't a way to judge if it's rotten but can tell if anything is about to fall out of it. You cutting on it vibrated it less than you're shaking did. :clap:
yep lots of already seasoned oak!

Latest posts

Back