Progressive Modding of a Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some saws will run stronger than others out of the box. My 346 runs really really strong, and it has from day one. I run my 7900's more than my other saws, it's definitely my favorite work saw. The compression readings have a lot of variables as well, you'll probably never get the same reading from one day to the next.:cheers:

Well my new 7900 from Brad arrived Wednesday :)
I had a decent sized Silky Oak log out the back of my house that I'd given it a run on after work with a 32" bar buried and LGX non skip and although not overly hard wood it was instantly apparent that this saw kicks my stock 7900's arse.
Today I gave it a run in the real world and to say I'm impressed is an understatement. Cutting cookies on Youtube for fun is one thing (I enjoy watching/doing them), but getting this saw out working is a whole different ballgame. The 14% odd speed improvement that Brad had noted seems more like 25% although today was the first time I have run full chisel on this property. It held up well too so will be using it again :)
This saw pulls full chisel skip way faster than my stock saw pulls semi chisel skip - WAY faster...
With Carlton A3LM skip full chisel it cut that fast on a 32" bar and 7 pin sprocket (although trees were only up to maybe 28"?) that I actually cut too far into the hingewood on a few and was lucky not to lose control of the tree!
Fuel economy was also quite good which was something that had been a small concern but in reality the difference wasn't major although it was noticable. This was made up for with cutting speed.
The muffler mod also isn't overly deafening but when echoing off a tree trunk close to your head I have realised today that my already marginal earmuff/helmet setup aren't good enough with this saw. That's a damn fine excuse to get a decent Peltor setup like I've always wanted ;)
I was also a bit worried that the saw may lose torque which some people had mentioned - absolute garbage on this saw and a testament to Brad's work.
The saw started, ran, and idled like a factory saw (all while sounding tougher!) and Brad's tune was spot on.

I'd like to thank Brad for -

1) Doing the work.
2) Doing GOOD work.
3) Being open on the forum about what worked and what didn't despite Spacemule's best efforts to derail it ;)
4) For continuously updating me on what was going on (my PM box was overflowing - does this man ever sleep?).
5) Being honest throughout the whole deal even when he found postage to Australia cost less than he'd quoted.
6) For modding his first (and it won't be his last!) 7900.
7) For now secretly trying to buy a 7900 without anybody knowing. Come on Brad, you know it's true :) You have been asking an awful lot of Dolmar questions since playing with my saw!!!

Good service is hard to find and I am yet to have one bad deal from the US despite being shafted on many business/internet transactions in my own country.

Brad is a credit to arboristsite and if anyone wants a 7900 modded I can recommend where to send it. I know there are other guys that do good mod work too but as this is the only modded saw I own I can only comment on Brad's work. If Brad lived next door I'd be broke and there wouldn't be a tree standing for miles. I'd also have the fastest Echo 290EVL on the planet.

The HD filter setup is also very very impressive. In the flesh it also looks pretty good, it does grow on you for sure. The fit of it is also second to none.
After today's work the filter hardly looked used. A stock filter would have needed a good clean in the same amount of time. This filter setup has placed Dolmar right at the pointy end for pro level saws and anybody now using filters as an excuse to drag down Dolmar's 6400-7900 need a good old fashioned uppercut ;) Only kidding but you get what I mean. If this was factory fitted it would be even better.

All Dolmar now have to do is release a similar setup for their 5100-S and they'll be right on the money across their pro range of saws.

Another thing which could be improved on the 7900's too that I've noticed in certain species of dry timber. Chips can go straight off the chain into the muffler bolt holes and come out glowing ready to start a fire. I've had to stamp a few spot fires out in dry chips around my woodpile. I've noticed this for a while but had wrongly assumed it was sparks off the chain from hitting dirt etc even though the size of them and the way they floated around didn't add up. OK in nice green forests but concerning in dry areas like mine.
I plan on stuffing the holes with steel wool.

Thanks again Brad and will get real world working vids up ASAP, hopefully next to my stocker.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review and kind words Matt. I'm more than tickled with your response about the performance of the saw over stock. I love debunking the myth that these don't take to mods. Kind of like 'Slingr has done with the 441. I'll admit, I was a little nervous posting the mod thread when I had no idea what the outcome would be. But that's me. I enjoy sharing with you guys.

I just got to thinking about your comments on feeling like more than 14% gains. I suppose that could be. You're cutting way bigger wood than I was. I know Andyshine77 says the same thing about his ported 7900. So maybe the gains are greater, the longer the bar.

I'm anxiously awaiting on the vids!

Last edited:
Thanks for the review and kind words Matt. I'm more than tickled with your response about the performance of the saw over stock. I love debunking the myth that these don't take to mods. Kind of like 'Slingr has done with the 441. I'll admit, I was a little nervous posting the mod thread when I had no idea what the outcome would be. But that's me. I enjoy sharing with you guys.

I just got to thinking about your comments on feeling like more than 14% gains. I suppose that could be. You're cutting way bigger wood than I was. I know Andyshine77 says the same thing about his ported 7900. So maybe the gains are greater, the longer the bar.

I'm anxiously awaiting on the vids!

I'm repeating, but for me I don't want the extra volume.

I think it would be very interesting to do the porting, etc and time it with a stock muffler. I know the gains would not be as much, but seems like gains could be had without extra volume.

Consider the Univent, for example. Didn't it have a stock 372 muffler?

I'm repeating, but for me I don't want the extra volume.

I think it would be very interesting to do the porting, etc and time it with a stock muffler. I know the gains would not be as much, but seems like gains could be had without extra volume.

Consider the Univent, for example. Didn't it have a stock 372 muffler?

Most saws I would say you'd kill the performance. However, we saw how modding the muffler when the saw was stock did nothing for it. A ported 7900 might just run pretty good with a stock muffler. Definately worth trying!

Do you mean steel wool or rock wool?

I have seen some really fne stainless steel wool that I was thinking of using. I'm on my way up to the property in a minute and will drop in to the local supermarket to get a few nibbles so will grab some of this steel wool then. Strong Northerly blowing at the moment which is perfect.
Oh, and a McDonald's breakfast on the way ;)

Brad, have you ordered YOUR 7900 yet? :)

The kind words were deserved too.

Last edited:
And some vids from today. Doesn't give a brilliant idea of the saw's potential but sounds good and eats the wood :)
The comparo between my stock 7900 and Brad's modded one isn't exactly fair. My old 7900 was wearing new Windsor 63A Semi Chisel non skip and my new 7900 was wearing well worn Carlton A3LM skip. You've still got to respect the standard 7900 though :)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qVvImeR2k_0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qVvImeR2k_0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5LC2LKHg3g0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5LC2LKHg3g0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/epoSzLCWAJU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/epoSzLCWAJU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mgUJSnGbNKM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mgUJSnGbNKM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dRCqMAtfdTE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dRCqMAtfdTE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
And some photos of the HD filter kit in action. At this stage it had seen about 300 trees without cleaning. I would be already considering swapping out my 2nd standard filter at this stage.

Pre filter...

06092009419.jpg

Main filter pre cleaning (wood dust on top came from pulling pre filter off so above photo taken at same time)...

06092009420.jpg

Main filter after simply tapping on hard object. The loose stuff fell off easily...

06092009421.jpg

Being pale coloured wood with a black intake tract there was absolutely no evidence of anything getting through. The real test would be something like dead Redgum and I'll post back when I get stuck into some of that next.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the videos. Your tuning sounds spot on for the way you use your saws. They're perhaps a hair on the rich side, exactly where I'd want them for a work saw. I regularly hear it burble when you let off the load. I like that since you know it's not lean, but cleans out and cuts very nicely under load.

That's excellent real world reporting on the HD filter setup. I'm anxious to see similiar pics after some time in Redgum.

So tell use how you really feel about the ported saw. Is it worth modding for a production work saw? Or is the stock 7900 so strong stock you'll just run them stock in the future? It would be nice to see them running the same chain in the same wood for a good comparison.

I notice the screen on the new HD pre filter "appears" to have larger holes than the mesh on the old filter housing. Maybe it is the same size plastic screen mesh but looks different in these pictures. The only reason I even looked at the screen hole size was because I noticed the particles look larger that collected around the filter. Is there a difference? :confused:

Thanks for posting the videos. Your tuning sounds spot on for the way you use your saws. They're perhaps a hair on the rich side, exactly where I'd want them for a work saw. I regularly hear it burble when you let off the load. I like that since you know it's not lean, but cleans out and cuts very nicely under load.

That's excellent real world reporting on the HD filter setup. I'm anxious to see similiar pics after some time in Redgum.

So tell use how you really feel about the ported saw. Is it worth modding for a production work saw? Or is the stock 7900 so strong stock you'll just run them stock in the future? It would be nice to see them running the same chain in the same wood for a good comparison.

Tune spot on and saw running a treat Brad. It has gotten stronger in the 12 odd tanks I've put through it since it arrived.
From my point of view in my cutting condtions the modifications are definately worthwhile. What you've done to the saw has basically put to rest my desire/need for a saw in the 90cc class such as a 395XP/660. The new 7900 fills the gap nicely between my stock 7900 and 3120XP.
This thing pulls a 32" bar and 3/8" chain quite easily and even on trees up to 50" I'd probably still just use the new 7900 with 32" bar instead of my 3120XP. I'll probably use this solely on monster trees and on my mill from now on.
In saying that though I used my 3120XP and 32" .404" last weekend on a few larger trees and it is still an impressive beast, although very tiring :)

I notice the screen on the new HD pre filter "appears" to have larger holes than the mesh on the old filter housing. Maybe it is the same size plastic screen mesh but looks different in these pictures. The only reason I even looked at the screen hole size was because I noticed the particles look larger that collected around the filter. Is there a difference? :confused:

My old 7900 didn't have the newer style housing but from what I've seen on this site the new HD setup does have larger mesh holes than the current newer housing.

From my point of view in my cutting condtions the modifications are definately worthwhile. What you've done to the saw has basically put to rest my desire/need for a saw in the 90cc class such as a 395XP/660. The new 7900 fills the gap nicely between my stock 7900 and 3120XP.
This thing pulls a 32" bar and 3/8" chain quite easily and even on trees up to 50" I'd probably still just use the new 7900 with 32" bar instead of my 3120XP.

A lot of people don't understand some of the reasoning behind modding saws.
This is one reason.
Easier to man handle all day.

Wonder how this saw would feel against a modded 460 for instance?

A lot of people don't understand some of the reasoning behind modding saws.
This is one reason.
Easier to man handle all day.

Wonder how this saw would feel against a modded 460 for instance?

Exactly right, not to mention I saved a good AUD$600-700 dollars on buying a 395XP/660!
I am not familiar with 460's at all so can't comment on comparisons :)

Squish is .022. Compression is 153. I left the squish where it was. This a work saw and will likely see some heavy duty use from what MCW has been showing us of his job.

Quite honestly, this 7900 doesn't look much different inside from a 361, 357, or 372. It does have a single ring, so that made port layout simple. Skirt width will not allow 70% port width. I left transfer and exhaust port timing stock. I lowered the intake a couple degrees. I widened both the exhaust and intake, and widened the rear transfers towards the intake. I then port matched the muffler, heat shield, and gasket. We'll see tomorrow if it worked:cheers:

Brad,
The squish numbers seem to indicate you could have run the saw w/o the base gasket just for the heck of it...just out of curiosity. Of course, the difference (as you mentioned earlier) may not have been fully manifest w/o bigger wood to test with.

Back