Project: Old Mickey

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sweet. It started out looking like the result of a couple of good ol' boys, a weekend, a pile of scrap, and a case of beer, and you're turning it in to something. way to go!!! not to often you find any splitter for $300:clap:

Hey guys I have a questions about wedges.. After cutting mine of and about 1.5 hrs of grinding I got it sitting flat again on the beam. I beveled the edges some so it could be burned on really well. I stood back and looked at it and it's not really perpendicular to the beam, the top is leaning in 3-4 degrees mabye. Is this a bad thing, should I grind it down or simply replace? I should have measured the height remaining on the wedge and taken a picture of the angle..

thanks

Bill

If the angle is "in line" with the beam you are OK. If it tilts to the left or right of the beam, you will want to correct that. You won't believe the twisting pressure that will put on the beam - for every split.

If the angle is "in line" with the beam you are OK. If it tilts to the left or right of the beam, you will want to correct that. You won't believe the twisting pressure that will put on the beam - for every split.

Thanks Jags.. I'm actually not going to touch the wedge I figure I'll bring it to my buddy that works on heavy equpiment. He's a good welder and used to welding on thick steel. I figure why risk it.

Question #2.. I have a pump mount my neighbour made, it fits the honda but it was made for a pressure washer. It'll work and save me alot of messing around BUT I'll have to cut the shaft on the motor and the pump in order for it to work.. Anyone see an issue with this?

Here's the motor side.

imgp3555x.jpg

imgp3556.jpg

I don't really see an issue with making the shaft a little shorter. The other easy way is to cut a couple of pieces of pipe the same length and use them as spacers (longer bolts too).

I don't really see an issue with making the shaft a little shorter. The other easy way is to cut a couple of pieces of pipe the same length and use them as spacers (longer bolts too).

Ahh.. Yes good idea.. Thanks.. I might try that.. I'll see how much I'll have to come out.

and since no ones told yah--that cyl looks to be off of a cat loader bucket---hence the pivots like they are--and if the seals are good--you wont move it by your hand--

and since no ones told yah--that cyl looks to be off of a cat loader bucket---hence the pivots like they are--and if the seals are good--you wont move it by your hand--

No doubt - I used compressed air once ---DON'T do that.:dizzy:

yeah it's either from a loader or a dozer,, but seeing how old it looks/is I thinking a loader,,

On a more discourging notee. I sucka$$ at using a stick welder.. I have a 110 Mig and I'm comfortable using it, my buddy has a huge 3 phase lincoln Mig and I can weld with that pretty good even though it's scary sometimes what that thing can do.

But instead of bringing everything over to my buddies house my neighbour offered to let me use his 220 stick.
I figured why not save me from loading the splitter and I can work whenever I want. Well tonight I started, and well they're not horrible bogger welds and I know nothing is going to fall off man these are ugly welds. ohwell it's a learning curve, just having a hard time feeding the rod in while I make my pattern. I started with the loop pattern but I'm having better luck with a back and forth C pattern.. Good thing I'm not welding on my wedge!!

Here's some of my ugly welds.. Maybe someone can give me some pointers. I think my issue is keeping the rod feed at the right rate. but hey.

imgp3563.jpg

imgp3562e.jpg

I had more to weld but the rain came!.. so back to the shed.. so I painted instead. not to crazy about the color but it's an enamel they paint the plows with..

imgp3560.jpg

imgp3561j.jpg

I'm trying to figure out my lines for the hydraulics.
I have about 10 re-useable fitting and I was going to buy a length of hose but after looking through some boxes I think I have more then enough lines kicking around to do the job. Here's what I have so far.. not really crazy about the big loop off the valve so I'm thinking about getting some 30 degree fitting to try and shorten them. Also the the loop off the pump, can I cut that line and put in one of my fittings to shorten it up?? What kind of tubing do you guys recommend for the low side?

imgp3566.jpg

Funny I have some many hydraulic hoses kicking around but yet this is the first time I've actually used them. I must be a pack-rat.. :monkey:

Last edited:
On the low side, you should use a "vacuum" type hose so that it will not collapse. That would be bad because is will starve your pump from the very oil that lubes it.

I picked 6' of the low pressure Hyd. hose on Saturday, it's the stuff with the fiberglass in it. That and some beefy clamps. Going to get s few fitting after work might have some mores pics tonight.

Just dropped another $100 on fittings. Should be able to run most of the lines tonight unless I forgot something. Of course I forgot my list at home so I had to go from memory and the fittings I needs to match are sitting on top of the list so again memory. I made sure I put the receipt in a safe place.

$150 later

imgp3580.jpg

migth get out tonight to weld the Hyd. tank in place and run the lines.

Yeah so I knew I'd forget something. anyway. I went to mount a 90 degree fitting to the cyl. Had a good 3-4 turns into it all by hand and she got tight.. So I went and grabbed a wrench and give her a shot, ended up bending the tube holding the fitting. All I needed was another 45 degrees to get it pointed in the right direction. It's not cross threaded and it's not bottomed out but that fitting isn't going anywhere.. Going to have to try using the torch tomorrow and heat it up. other then that I got most of the lines figured out. I still haven't mounted the pump because I'm still on the fence about using the one I have or ordering a new one. I figure I have one so I might aswell us it. If I don't like it I can order a new one next season.

Here's som pics.. Ignore the low side on the pump. I just want to cut the hose yet because I wasn't sure on the pump. I will not have a loop in the line like the pic..
After looking at the pics I realized I have my lines backwards off the valve.. must have had a brain-fart.
imgp3600.jpg

imgp3602k.jpg

imgp3603.jpg

Last edited:
OK.. so I finally got everything together and started it up on the Saturday.. The cylinder moves but it keeps stalling the motor if I move the valve full in either direction. Almost seems llike there's a restriction somewhere. I have a gauge coming off the pump and I'm not getting any pressure.. Anyone have any ideas?

Did you ever figure out what the hydro pump was and the GPM output of it? If its some 40 gpm single stage sucker, you don't have enough hp to run it (without knowing what it is, it is tough to trouble shoot.) With the valve in the center position, does the motor pull the pump OK? What kind of pressure are we talking about?

I think it's a 12 GPM.. I haven't looked into it. But I might tonight. With the engine idle and the vlave in the center position all is good engine runs fine and will run at just a low idle. I get no reading on the gauge with the valve in the center position.

I'll have another look at in tonight, I didn't have much time to play with it on the weekend. I did disconnect the high side on the pump and feed it back into the tank.

I'm thinking that there's eithe ra restriction of some sorts or the cylinder needs to be rebuilt!?

Latest posts

Back