Project woodshed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blis

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
allrighty, talked about this on some topic on chainsaw forum, but now that i have actually began building it with my dad i decided to drop some pics for you ppl to wonder at :greenchainsaw:

Overview
piha.JPG

First steps, the floor and first set of logs
kehikko.JPG

Close-up of floor, made from logs sawed to 44mm
lattia.JPG

Close-up of how the corner is done
salvos.JPG

Todays fruits of labor
kehikko%202.JPG

enjoy :hmm3grin2orange:

Nice pics keep them coming :)
and some info about the work progress !!

Nice pics keep them coming :)
and some info about the work progress !!

Hopefully we will continue tomorrow and i quess i could grab some pics of the actual making of corners if i remember...

Some pics from today... the weather was nice, around +13c and warm breeze from south...

Me and dad lifting log
puunnosto.JPG

And here am i, staring at log and wondering what the heck im doing (j/k :p)
selk%e4.JPG

Here you can see how the log is carved to fit on the bottom log, Carving axe with short handle is best for that job unless you have really big wood, then chainsaw is best option...
salvos%202.JPG

And heres some boards (~10" pine and spruce) for the roof of shed...
lautoja.JPG

lauta.JPG

Will be continued next saturday i quess...

ps. Feel free to comment or ask if something is bothering you :p
pps. fixed the second board pic, no more duplicates

Last edited:
Where, how did you get your floor boards? Im looking for some rough cut boards at least 2 maybe 2.5 inches thick for my tractor bridge. I suppose i should get to some lumber yards and get the thing decked so I can start collecting wood.

Where, how did you get your floor boards? Im looking for some rough cut boards at least 2 maybe 2.5 inches thick for my tractor bridge. I suppose i should get to some lumber yards and get the thing decked so I can start collecting wood.

Our local sawyer sawed em from logs we falled last winter with huge circle saw (the blade is 90cm across), took about 1.5 hour and we had something like 50 logs...

the boards were sawed to 1 inch and those thick floor boards were sawed to 44mm...

One pic from today, me and my dad carving logs... today we reached ~145cm wall height, next time we'll probaply hit the 2m mark and finish it...

salvaus.JPG

Great pictures and a good looking project. Around here, you would have had to draw up plans, have an engineer review and stamp them, submit for a building permit, probably have a surveyer submit a survey and stake the site, have a footer inspection, a foundation inspection, a framing inspection (What...no grading stamps on those logs...we better have a structural engineer sign off on those before you can continue), & a final inspection. You would have probably had to beef up the floor joists to a trus-joist system or use a steel I-beam in the center. Be thankful for where you live.:dizzy:

Great pictures and a good looking project. Around here, you would have had to draw up plans, have an engineer review and stamp them, submit for a building permit, probably have a surveyer submit a survey and stake the site, have a footer inspection, a foundation inspection, a framing inspection (What...no grading stamps on those logs...we better have a structural engineer sign off on those before you can continue), & a final inspection. You would have probably had to beef up the floor joists to a trus-joist system or use a steel I-beam in the center. Be thankful for where you live.:dizzy:

the trick over here is that barn can be moved, therefore it isnt "building" and doesnt need any papers for it :greenchainsaw:

Allrighty, today we managed to hit the final wall height (~2m from floor) and we sawed the corners to final lenght, tomorrow we will go and nail the cross ties to walls. Then it will be filled with firewood and well do roof after that...

Final wall height
valmis.JPG

353G with 13" bar, 8 tooth sprocket and not-so-sharp chain
sahaus%202.JPG

and another one
sahaus.JPG

enojy...

I see why so many Finlanders settled in this area (Michigans U.P.) That scenery in your pics looks identical to the U.P. You could have said you were in Bruce Crossing and I'd have believed you. Nice job on the shed also! Bill in the U.P.

great job, looks cold. keep the updates coming!!! with building in the winter do you get a lot of setteling problems in the spring just using blocks?

nice pics. Am I the only one that hasn't seen an opening to get the wood in? I have to assume its always on the far side, but I would like to see pics of that as well. Nice job

great job, looks cold. keep the updates coming!!! with building in the winter do you get a lot of setteling problems in the spring just using blocks?

Not really, the ground wasnt that frozen when we placed the blocks on ground so it shouldnt be much of a problemm...

nice pics. Am I the only one that hasn't seen an opening to get the wood in? I have to assume its always on the far side, but I would like to see pics of that as well. Nice job

Darn it, you got me on that one :jester:
to tell the truth, we intentionally left out the door hole to prevent wood thieves (j/k)... We left it without doorhole becouse it was faster to build it without doorhole and we were in a bit of hurry...

couldnt get any pics yesterday 'cos i ran out of battery, but toady il be sure to grab some...

allrighty, shed is finished and full of wood (around 25m^3)

My dad feeding the wood chomping beast aka processor
tuiko.JPG

And then, pic of firewood goodiness (notice the stacked planks behind the shed)
t%e4ynn%e4.JPG

And overwiev of yard
t%e4ynn%e4%202.JPG

Now, in 2 weeks or so we'll throw roof to shed and il take some more pics then....

??

Am I the only one that does not understand?

How do you get the wood out of the thing to use?

Am I the only one that does not understand?

How do you get the wood out of the thing to use?

When the day comes we need wood we'll just saw a door hole to front wall and slap a door on it, simple as that... :popcorn:

Nice looking shed. I assume that once you cut the door out you need to build some type of frame for the door to finish it all off?

Back