PS-5100 is it as good as an 361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS-310

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I know this has been asked before and I did search but still I want the best firewood saw.

I want to know about 10 years from now and I need an new piston and ring?
Do you think the stihl dealers got it or the dolmar deal?

What one will be faster? ps-5100=more rpms right? 361 more power?
What about anti-vibe....
I know there is alot of you guys that have ran both.... I dont cut anything other then firewood. My 076 is great for big stuff and my 310 is a ok saw i just want an fast one.

Jack

Both

Both are good saws. Different. But both good. MS361 will end up in the chainsaw hall of fame (if there is one?) 5100 is probably on its way, time will tell.

The 5100 is a bad ass saw...Love mine...failrly light...Gobs of torque way way way less money then the 361 also..I mean for the price of a 361 you could damn near buy a 5100 and a 401 for trim work...Yes stihl's are great saws but the 150-200 premium over the 5100 is like throwing money away...

I wish this was easy to decide on one or the other.

was very easy for me...went to my local Dolmar dealer and handed him 350 bux and went home to cut wood...lol

Glad to see your not comparing the 5100 and 361 to the 357 or I would have to give you my input.
What type of bar oil are you going to use ?
have you considered 40:1 gas mix ?

Glad to see your not comparing the 5100 and 361 to the 357 or I would have to give you my input.
What type of bar oil are you going to use ?
have you considered 40:1 gas mix ?

well I was hoping to us corn oil so It will not kill the fish....LOL

well money is what pays for saws and that what i get paid when i go to work so if i am spending my hard earned money on a saw it sure is nice to save a couple hundred on a purchase...

I've heard nice things about both saws. Instead of Dolmar, I went with Stihl. Actually, I went with the lighter MS260 Pro rather than a MS361 (I didn't need the power and weight of a 361 for what I do). I would probably jumped on a Dolmar 5100 to save some bucks and still get a great saw if there would have been a dealer that was closer than 90 minutes away... The lack of dealers in my area made for an easy decision: there are several Stihl dealers in a 5 mile radius in my town.

Everybody talks about dealers but if you buy a quality saw and have half a clue why would you need a dealer after the purchase...You are online now so you have access to the biggest dealer availible...I have like 5 dolmar dealers within 30 miles of me...I wish it was true for everyone so they would at least give dolmar a try...

well money is what pays for saws and that what i get paid when i go to work so if i am spending my hard earned money on a saw it sure is nice to save a couple hundred on a purchase...

So you save money on a Dolmar then spent more money modding it to run better ?
What gains did you get over the 361 ?

I spent a ton on mods lol...It was 20 dollars to do the muffler...still 180 shy of a 361...Thats a crapload of chains..

Like i said i have 5 dealers within 30 miles but i rarely visit them because most of my shopping is online...

Everybody talks about dealers but if you buy a quality saw and have half a clue why would you need a dealer after the purchase...You are online now so you have access to the biggest dealer availible...I have like 5 dolmar dealers within 30 miles of me...I wish it was true for everyone so they would at least give dolmar a try...

For me it was what I could easily put my hands on before the purchase. Feel is important to me and reviews just don't translate feel very well for me. Also, for some things, I like to buy local if I can. Power equipment is one of those things. Just personal preference... Electronics and hand tools are a different story.

Latest posts

Back