pull cord reccomendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try this...

pull-cord.gif

What type and size of rope are you using?

3/16 poly/nylon....friend gave me a roll of it so ive been using that....looks like same size that was on the saw that was originally on it but im sure the strength of it isnt the same as what came with the saw originally

3/16 poly/nylon....friend gave me a roll of it so ive been using that....looks like same size that was on the saw that was originally on it but im sure the strength of it isnt the same as what came with the saw originally

I have found that on my larger saws, that polyester sheathed dyneema cord seems to wear/last the longest. over here it comes in metric sizes I usually use 4 or 5mm size i get mine from a boat chandlers, but it`s available on E bay,only downside it only seems to come in bright colours

I use the double braid Dacron Polyester that is sold for use as chainsaw pull cords.

On my big chainsaws, I use the largest diameter that will work in the pulley and still give me enough length for a good pull.

I have not had any to just break unless they were worn out from abrasion.

i like the stuff for Honda mowers its soft and kinda stretchy but its like 5 mm thick its good for my ts760 concrete saw it always snapped the cord it did it about 4 times in one day i have never broken the Honda cord its genuine honda

The trash man gave me a like new MiniMac. It had a braided steel cable for a pull cord. It had compression Ferrells on the ends of the cable. I changed to a lawn mower pull cord and after some frustration, put it all in the trash can.

The trash man gave me a like new MiniMac. It had a braided steel cable for a pull cord. It had compression Ferrells on the ends of the cable. I changed to a lawn mower pull cord and after some frustration, put it all in the trash can.

You are a smart man...

hi all, what the best type of pull cord to use. the cord on my homelite 925 takes a beating and snaps way too much.

What method are you using to start the saw? I have an MS 250 with the same problem, I guess. When I use my right hand on the throttle and pull start with my left hand, the rope breaks after about 30 or 40 times. Brand new saw, no worn stuff, I can't find anything wrong! It happened twice, since then I set the saw on the ground and make sure I pull the rope straight up. No more problems!

I have a 025 which is much like the 250. I get along better starting this saw on the ground as it is pretty robust to pull over. I have never broken a pull cord on it. It still has the original cord.

On my big chainsaws, I use the largest diameter that will work in the pulley and still give me enough length for a good pull.

That is the most important thing right there.

The right dia keeps the rope wound on top of itself in the pulley groove.

If the dial is too small it will bind on itself and can actually provide side pressure to push the sides of the pulley apart. Been there and done that on a 925.

Been a while since I done one on a 925 but I want to say you need a #5.5 or 6 on it.

That is the most important thing right there.

The right dia keeps the rope wound on top of itself in the pulley groove.

If the dial is too small it will bind on itself and can actually provide side pressure to push the sides of the pulley apart. Been there and done that on a 925.

Been a while since I done one on a 925 but I want to say you need a #5.5 or 6 on it.

that was my problem, i was using #4 on it and i had the biggest problem when she would kick back on me, it would snap that cord as if it were sewing thread.

Latest posts

Back