Purchase Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have no trust in husky saws! !!! if i had to buy and use either the craftsman or the husky? it surely wouldnt be the craftsman! saws are under power and the bars dont last a good weekend worth of wood cutting..... spend a few dollars more for the husky and be done with it and hope the skirt dont blow off from that!!

i have no trust in husky saws! !!! if i had to buy and use either the craftsman or the husky? it surely wouldnt be the craftsman! saws are under power and the bars dont last a good weekend worth of wood cutting..... spend a few dollars more for the husky and be done with it and hope the skirt dont blow off from that!!

Wow, I consider myself a Stihl guy, yet I own two Huskies. I have no issues with them. My 372 has served me well, and this 261 just sings. Neither is "underpowered", nor has oiling issues. The other Husky I owned fit the same mold. I prefer a Stihl, but I'll pick up a Husky in a heartbeat. No Problemo with me.

porsche965 , Once I got into a patch of 72" red oak with a sachs 120 super and only a 16 inch bar... The saw cut fine, but man what a job... At the time i hadn't the money for a 36 inch bar and chain either.

If i had i wouldn't have bought it for a few trees this size anyway.

The owner wanted these for fire wood only... :( The largest once done, turned out to be 3 and 3/4 cords cut split and stacked.

I thought it was going to kill me. I hope I never again get into a patch like that again with out proper tooling.

One of the dealers I went to (Big R) has both Stihl and Husqvarna and I liked the Husqvarna 450 Anniversary edition the best ($369):

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landowner/products/chainsaws/450-50th-anniversary-edition/

It doesn't have the tool-less chain tensioner like the regular 450. Is the tool-less tensioner good or bad? It seems new to the Husqvarna, but Stihl has had it for a while - is that correct? Either way, it seems cheap to me. The 450 Anniversary only has one nut for tightening the bar insted of two. That seemed odd to me.

I also liked the Husqvarna 445 ($309), but it only had an 18" bar whereas the 450 has a 20" bar on it. I'm not sure if I need a 20" bar though. I don't like the 455 Rancher because of the extra weight.

In the Stihls I was looking at the MS 250 ($319) and Ms 270 ($399). It seemed like the Husqvarnas were better balanced though and the Stihls are a little more expensive and heavier.

So it looks like with the Husky/stihls its the MS 250 vs Husky 445 or the MS 270 vs husky 450...

Now in doing more research I see that the Echo CS-400 is a consideration, but it does seem low on power in comparison to the Stihl and Husky. The 5 year warranty seems like a plus though compared to 2 for Stihl and Husky

Any help/direction/advice would be appreciated. I would like to cut some Oak also. But in total I would probably only be cutting 4 cords a year, maybe 5. I really wanted to stay at or under $300 for the saw, but realize I may need to spend a little more. (I still need chaps and steel-toe boots.)

Thanks,
-Bp

I think you are on the right track in your thinking so far. Personally, I would stick with the Husky or Stihl - they are both solid brands with good dealer support and both will have better value when it comes time to trade up (probably more so than the Echo).

As far as your options I would stay away from the tool-less chain tensioner for both brands. The regular style is still a simple, reliable design that really isn't that much harder to use. I'm not sure why the 450 has the tool-less tensioner, as it's usually a feature on e-models and there is a 450e that is $20 more than the 450. Also, I would think a little smaller on bars - 16" on the 445/MS250 or 16"/18" on the 450/MS270.

Saw for saw, the MS250 and 445 are close in price in displacement. The 250 is a proven saw and so far the 445 reviews have been very good. The 450 vs MS270 is a little different game. The 270 is sort of a semi-pro saw, with some pro features but lacking some others. Some here prefer the lighter, faster 270 to the heavier 290 and really like the 270. The 450 is again the new kid on the block but has received good reviews. Some prefer the 450 over the 455 as you're getting a big jump in weight for a small jump in power. I'd make it a 450/MS270 debate if I had the coin but there is nothing wrong with the other two. Do a search here of each model (I suggest a 'search thread title' feature under the advanced search menu). Spend as much time at the dealer you need, try to run one or two if you can and see which one wants to come home with you.

As far as used goes, it can be a tough game for a new guy. If you don't know what you are looking for you can buy something that may look good but is worn out. This is also not the best time of the year to buy used saws. Looking at the craigslist in my area there are a lot of golden saws for sure! If you trust your ability to look at saw and determine its condition go for it, but if you don't think you can do it, it may not be worth the risk. You may be able to find some used saws at local dealers, including the guy that does saw work on the side. If you want to go that route be sure you can run the saw and see if they will give you a short warranty or a couple of weeks to bring it back.

Mac Muz,

You are so right. I just cut up 46" Red Oak with a 20" bar on the 066. Going back and forth to finish the cut is time consuming, but I really have a blast with the power!

My next investment is a larger bar/chain no doubt.

Thinking about buying a MS460 before they replace that saw and get the big bar on it. Nice to have interchangable bars/chains.

But then I probably won't run across anymore big wood. LOl! Just the way it goes.

But what a great sport!! And great exercise.

J.

if you were wise you would buy a pro saw stihl ms460 or husky 372 .they are proven strong reliable and you can get half your money back if you sell it 4 -5 years later smaller cheap saws are slow and a waste of money just my opinion been cuttin 35 years.hope it helps you.

hey you old person! Woops, I've been cuttiing 34 years.........

I would look at getting a pro saw with a good dealer suport but the fastest saw is often the saw with the sharpest chain so by a few loops with the saw or order some on line ( I recomend baileys ) and lean to sharpen them your self.

Other's may correct me if I am wrong, but the craftsman you have there looks a lot like the 40cc redmax/ryobi that many here seem to like quite a bit. If it is, The only problem with it is that it can be had for less than half of what you paid.

I don't know if the "entry level" stihl and husky offerings you are looking at are really that much better than what you have already.

Okay, here it goes.... I cut my firewood with a Homelite SXLAO and SEZ,410 not here yet. I cut 4 cords usually, have about 7 this year.(scrounging was good)I'm not trying to say it's better than any of the new saws. Just an option, I don't have 300 in all 3 saws. Mine usually require some minor work when I get them, but I kinda like that too. Just a thought. Let the verbal beating begin.:):cheers:

Other's may correct me if I am wrong, but the craftsman you have there looks a lot like the 40cc redmax/ryobi that many here seem to like quite a bit. If it is, The only problem with it is that it can be had for less than half of what you paid.

The Craftsman Pro is a Redmax GZ4000, roughly a $300 saw.
The Ryobi 10532 is a Redmax GZ400, roughly a $200 saw, but with the same engine as the GZ4000. There are some minor design differences and the 400 series are built in China while the 4000s are made in Japan. At one time some refurbed Craftsman Pros sold on eBay for $100, but I missed out on that deal and it hasn't been repeated to my knowledge.

I wouldn't pay $369 for the Craftsman, but at $279 it isn't a bad deal, just not a great bargain like the $99-129 Ryobis. It is a small saw, I'd rather have a 50-60cc saw if I were to use only one saw. If OP can maintain the saw himself or there's a decent Dolmar dealer nearby, a $200ish Home Depot rental department Makita DCS-6401 would be a great firewood saw.

I just got a Dolmar 5100S, which is a good value compared to the other saws you listed.

It's a well made pro-grade 50cc saw for $400.

They have some non-pro saws for less...

Thanks for all of your replies! To answer some of your questions - I did look at some used saw postings on my local craigslist, but there wasn't much out there. The trees I'm cutting usually aren't more than 15" to 16" in diameter and are usually lodgepole pine. That ties into my weight factor with the saw. I need to keep the saw under 12 pounds. Both wood size and saw weight are determined by the fact that I had back surgery a little over a year ago and I even though I'm recovered and in great shape, I have to always be careful.

I ended up returning the Craftsman, but that same weekend I walked away without a saw,(but with a lot of saw fondling.) None of the Stihl dealers I went to had the MS270. I found this odd because two of the Stihl dealers I went to sell nothing but Stihl equipment. It's puzzling that they wouldn't stock atleast one example of every saw in their lineup, especially one deemed a "must have" by Stihl. Maybe a Stihl dealer can chime in on that one - it was very frustrating as a consumer.

The only Dolmar dealer within a 200 mile radius of me only had a 510. It seemed nice, but it seemed kinda risky with only have one dealer and them being far away.

The worst dealer experience I had was at the BigR who on my second visit was completely useless as they had neither the MS270 nor any more of the Husky 450 Anniversary models and they seemed ot have no recollection that they had even carried the Anniversary model even though they had 10 of them before. They also kept trying to sell me the Rancher...

The best dealer experience I had was with an large Ace Hardware store that sold a lot of Husqvarna equipment and they service all of it right there in their shop. So the following weekend I ended up getting the Husky 450 50th Anniversary Edition (no tool-less tensioner) with a 20" bar, case, hat, extra chain, quart of bar oil, wedge, and fuel oil all for $400 out the door.

Today was the first time I finally got to use the saw. The first two hours I was impressed. The saw was fast - like it was hungry for the wood! The starting, cutting, and general operation of the saw was very easy and downright fun.

However, after about 4 hours and two truckloads of wood the saw just seemed...tired. I have a small truck so two truckloads is about half a cord. After unloading the second round of wood the saw wouldn't start after many attempts. I figured it was flooded so I pulled the spark plug, turned it over a few times, replaced the plug and it ran again. Although, it then had a "lope" to it. While I had the plug out I inspected it and it had a firing pattern that was concentrated on one side of the plug. I don't know if that's normal for a new small 2-stroke engine or not.

When I finally got back into the woods to get a third load it seemed to no longer have the lope, but that last load was a much bigger chore than the fist two. The chain seemed kinda dull, the engine and bar were pretty hot, and the engine also seemed to have lost its "gutsiness" and was stalling the chain in the cut frequently. (Pretty much acting like the WoodShark.)

It's left me kind of wondering about my purchase. Maybe I should have gotten the Stihl. Or maybe I should have gone either higher or lower on my budget. Is it normal for a new Husky chain to go dull that fast? Does the engine performance fluctuate during the break-in period?

The saw didn't fail, but at the end of the day it's enough of a disappointment to have me considering selling it and going with something else. (I'm assuming the 2 year warranty doesn't cover "disappointment"...)

-Bp

I usually touch up my chains on every other tank or whenever I think it is getting dull. It doesn't take but 5 minutes to touch it up before it gets real dull. It is much easier to do that than have to file a lot longer to get it back sharp.

Hey BigPasta, if you can afford it, get a pro saw. I have purchased cheaper saws and regretted it! A lot of guys here recommend Dolmar, but I have no experience with them. You can't go wrong with a stihl 361, I paid $540 out the door from my dealer. His price actually was cheaper than the box store here that sold them. Husky makes great saws too. The 346 xp is one. If you are cutting 4-5 cords per year and plan on doing so for many years, get a good saw, not a cheapie. It's been stated before and I will again; buy a saw where you can get excellent service! Going to the dealer keeps him in business, and he will get to know you and cut you a deal from time to time.

you would be dissapointed with about any saw with a dull chain throw your extra chain on it or sharpen the original and see how it does. it doesnt take long to dull a chain sometimes.

First get rid of that Oregon or Windsor chain or whatever chain those Husky's come with and get Stihl chain. Learn how to hand sharpen and you should be fine. Open up the Muff and clip those Limiter caps, adjust the carb.

Latest posts

Back