Putting Them Away For the Winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundance

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to prep all my equipment for winter. I've always just drained and run everything dry. However, I have seen suggestions to do that and then put a little canned fuel in and run with that to wet the carb.
Thoughts?
Does it matter which canned fuel if you recommend using it?

Thanks for input.

I’ve always used stihl motomix for storage on my collector saws. I drain the tank of my regular mix then add a splash of moto mix and run till it quits. Even if you “run it out of fuel” there’s still residual in the carb. My newer saws I just drain and don’t worry too much about them because they see more use.

I just dump them onto a shelf with whatever fuel is left in them (preferably with a piece of thick cardboard underneath) and I have never had a problem. Been running 10% ETOH since it was invented. It works and stores fine mixed with 2 stroke oil.

I've personally found that starting and running things like saws every month or so is the best way to keep them healthy, even more so it seems than how I store them. In my mind it keeps some fresh fuel in the carb and keeps it from varnishing, etc. I run only ethanol-free in EVERYTHING except the automobiles.

I'm getting ready to prep all my equipment for winter. I've always just drained and run everything dry. However, I have seen suggestions to do that and then put a little canned fuel in and run with that to wet the carb.
Thoughts?
Does it matter which canned fuel if you recommend using it?

Thanks for input.
Any canned fuel that is pure alkylate based should be fine for storage.

Personally I usually just run them dry and leave the tank cap open and pointed down for a few days to evaporate anything left in the tank.

However, on larger gear like brush mowers I decided to just drain them and then put some canned gas in them just in case that they have to be started and moved over the winter.

Generally speaking winter is when I use the saws the most, but when I do plan on storing them longer than a few weeks without use(which isn't often anymore) I usually just run them till they quit, then pull them over a few more times, usually they fire a few more times.

I always run no ethanol stuff, so even if something does stick around in the carb, a few months isn't going to hurt much.

If I were planning on keeping them in storage for a year or longer, I would probably throw some canned fuel in there and run them out. Fog the cylinder. Fill the bar oil all the way up. Spray down the bar and any exposed metal with some protectant film of some sort. Then store them in a cool, dry area.

Winter is when I get mine out. Too dang hot here in the summer for sawing.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Same.

I hate climbing/cutting when it's anything over like 40ºF. teens through 30's is perfect...once you get into the single digits and below zero it gets a bit nippy.

Back