Question about Dolmar and Husky.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angelos

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone.
I have a question about my Makita DCS 7301 and my Husky 390xp.Both are new and no mods on them.
I use a 20 inch bar on the 7301 and a 24 inch bar on the Husky.How can it be that the Dolmar is faster? It has better torque and it never stops while cutting in the wood. Is it because of the different bars? I know this might seem stupid to some of you but I'm not experienced in chainsaws and I was expecting the 390 to be much faster than the 7301.
The Husqvarna dealer said everything's fine with the saw. Thought it may needed carb adjustments.
I'm telling you the Dolmar cuts like crazy.
I just cut wood for my fireplace so buing a 20 inch bar to test the Husky is out of the question.
So , what do you think?

Thank you,

Angelos

Put one of the bars on the other saw and run them with the same b/c in the same stick of wood. The bars are the same D009 mount so they'll work on either saw.

Just make sure they are both running 3/8 chain. If they both run 3/8 chain you can simply swap the bars and chains over as Mike suggested.

I didn't know about the same mount. I 'll try that tomorrow.
Yes there're both running 3/8 / .058
Thank you

Make sure you let us know with pictures.

The chain is a big variable here, like others have said you need to run the same bar and chain on each saw. The 390 should out cut the 7900 in bigger wood, in 20" and smaller wood they will be about the same.

7301!

Chains are sharpened properly , both dealers claim that the saws are tuned properly.
So , I will place the 20 inch bar and chain on both saws and see what happens.

Thank you again,

Angelos

Hello to everyone.

Well I tested the saws using the same chain and the same 24 inch bar, on the same stick of wood which was a 24" pine tree.
Same results again.
The 390 seems weaker.While cutting with the 7301 you can lean on the saw much more than with the 390.
I took a look at the manuals and saw that max.engine speed at full throttle for the Makita is 13.500rpm while for the 390 is 9.600rpm.
Does this have to do with the carb adjustment? Is this because the 390 is slower? Adjusting it , if that's the problem, is easy?

Thanks,

Angelos

Hello to everyone.

Well I tested the saws using the same chain and the same 24 inch bar, on the same stick of wood which was a 24" pine tree.
Same results again.
The 390 seems weaker.While cutting with the 7301 you can lean on the saw much more than with the 390.
I took a look at the manuals and saw that max.engine speed at full throttle for the Makita is 13.500rpm while for the 390 is 9.600rpm.
Does this have to do with the carb adjustment? Is this because the 390 is slower? Adjusting it , if that's the problem, is easy?

Thanks,

Angelos
13,500 would be max rpm for the Makita. 9,600 would be the max power in the cut rpm for the 390.

The 390 should be stronger, so something ain't right.

The 390 should be tuned to 13000 RPM. The 7300 should be tuned to 13500 RPM. If both are running right, the 390 will show is power advantage in anything bigger than about 12", with the advantage becoming more obvious as the wood becomes larger.

Both saws are new. 390 has aprx 40 tanks, and the 7301 about 30.
I used the same chain and bar on both.

Latest posts

Back