Question about Ripping Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayubusa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have some massive logs I just can't lift onto the splitter and I I thinkg my only option is to rip them. Now I'm on Baileys trying to order a ripping chain (Husky 385xp w/ 24' BAR) and in the description of the chain it says at the end "This chain is recommended for milling purposes only. It is not designed for standard hand held use". Now I've never used a ripping chain so I'm not sure if I should ignore this? Hope someone can answer if this is what I'm looking for (I've narrowed it down to a woodland pro 38rp chain, 84 links...if Im right). I've riped logs now and then with a regular chain but I have quite a few of these monster sized ones left...so I gotta get this chain ordered.

Hey guys, I have some massive logs I just can't lift onto the splitter and I I thinkg my only option is to rip them. Now I'm on Baileys trying to order a ripping chain (Husky 385xp w/ 24' BAR) and in the description of the chain it says at the end "This chain is recommended for milling purposes only. It is not designed for standard hand held use". Now I've never used a ripping chain so I'm not sure if I should ignore this? Hope someone can answer if this is what I'm looking for (I've narrowed it down to a woodland pro 38rp chain, 84 links...if Im right). I've riped logs now and then with a regular chain but I have quite a few of these monster sized ones left...so I gotta get this chain ordered.
Noodle them. That means lie the big billets horizontally and cut them in half, NOT with a flat side up. Your saw chain will "plane" through the wood and produce long shavings that look like noodles. Forget the ripping chain.

man, your just over reacting...

rip them with an everyday chain....it'll work just fine, and your chain won't notice a difference. wood is wood. only difference may be how it's linked and cut to keep the clutch housing clean from noodles....big deal, not like your ripping a million cord a year like that...

all i can think of to not use with handheld is maybe the rackers are different? i got a bit carried away with the 4" angle grinder on my rackers and it's a wild cutting mofo now....just barely touch the bar and it gages the saw down.....hehe oops...

Noodle them. That means lie the big billets horizontally and cut them in half, NOT with a flat side up. Your saw chain will "plane" through the wood and produce long shavings that look like noodles. Forget the ripping chain.

you got ahead of me, literally by seconds.. :)

Thanks alot. You guys are the best. In less than 5 minutes I get 3 answers...the guy at my local shop didn't have any ripping chain in stock, said he doesnt get enough requests for it...I wish he could have given me the answers I got here I'd of had that wood cut already. I was worried ripping too much of it would hurt my saw but I'll lay them down tomorrow and cut it the way you said. Thanks again!

Yes, cut in this orientation, not down the grain as one would with milling. This is to say, cut so that it would be bar upward, powerhead downward, if the tree was still standing.

You can save the noodles...

And for almost endless pictures and videos of people "noodling" wood, see here:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=106522
That is exactly how I do it. If possible, be sure that the log being noodled has clearance from the ground. One of my "secrets" is to use a flat piece of slabwood underneath the log being noodled.

The logs that I noodle tend to be huge, so getting those big mamas up there can be tough. The flat piece of slabwood underneath takes care of that. The saw does the rest. Keep the bar as horizontal as possible as you cut.

You can even save the noodles in sacks for fire starters.:)

That is exactly how I do it. If possible, be sure that the log being noodled has clearance from the ground. One of my "secrets" is to use a flat piece of slabwood underneath the log being noodled.

The logs that I noodle tend to be huge, so getting those big mamas up there can be tough. The flat piece of slabwood underneath takes care of that. The saw does the rest. Keep the bar as horizontal as possible as you cut.

You can even save the noodles in sacks for fire starters.:)

I just cut them til I'm close to the ground then just roll them over and cut the rest pulling up.

Agreed no need for ripping chain. Ripping chain will cut slower but provide a better finish if you were making boards.

Back