Question to all who buy used saws....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good point alder man, wonder what decent 361 parts saws sell for on the average....

Ok logeeland thanks a lot, I guess my next question to you would be what does the 361 act like with the 24 or 25 inch bar in hard wood like oak, hickory, ash, and some osage when available...and do you think that the 44 series with its power and weight are a good combo, and is it a big step up in power from the 361 or not....don't mean to riddle you with questions but I sure do appreciate your help....

i would hold out for a 044 etc. 400$ for a 044 is a better deal.

Rockjock and chainsaw Jim other than scoring is there anything particular I should be lookin for on the piston....there seemed to be a new air filer on the saw....
Typically a new Mahle piston will have knurlings from top to bottom. Those are the fine horizontal machine lines. A piston that has been worn smooth is approaching the end of its lifespan.

Ok logeeland I see....do you think there is any real difference in the 044, 440,441 in your opinion....
Bayard I probably will hold out..... Thanks

And chainsaw Jim that's great advice If I go back to look at it I will definitely. Look for the lines, and I will remember this advice for future reference... Thanks a lot

I only buy used saws in non running/rebuildable condition. For a couple reasons- 1, I don't spend big bucks on a saw you don't really know much about, 2, if they need rebuilds, I give them a good going through and replace what needs to be replaced. New piston, seals, fuel line, filter, carb kit, then I know what condition the saw is in and what's been done to it. 3, buy them cheap enough so I never get upside down on a saw. I can always flip a saw for more than I paid for it and have in it. Or part it out or sell as a parts saw and get my money back.
I rarely pay more than $150 for a pro saw needing a rebuild. Typically $100 or less.
Deals come up now and then, just gotta be ready when they do. I haven't bought any saws for probably a year, now I have a 395 parts saw to finish a project, a 2188, and a 372 on the way, all within the course of a week.

Oh and bayard do you like the new 441 or just the older models.....thanks for reply

Just my two cents but I don't buy saws that are not a deal. I always look to see if the jug has been freshly replaced and the condition of the bottom of the saw. If it has an aftermarket jug I pass. If the bottom of the saw is beat to death I pass. Next is will it run. I have a good ear and know how a healthy saw feels and sounds. I always haggle. If they are dead set on a price I pass. Bars and chains aren't even a consideration. Now to your situation. You are looking for a newer work saw to use everyday. In that case I would want as new as I could get and most likely would buy new. A few of my saws were bought knowing they would need work at some point. Your 290 is a middle of the road good for everything firewood saw. I have found that I don't use my 60cc saws for much of anything. I use my 026 "50cc" and the MS460 for all my jobs. The 60cc saws won't pull 25" bars with any authority. The 361 is a 60cc saw and would be a fine replacement and upgrade for the 290 but not a do all saw.

Many guys here who buy used saws are mechanically minded and have plenty of knowledge about the saw models they buy. The risks can be heavily minimised knowing what to look at if you get the opportunity to feel/touch a saw before you hand over your hard earned. Anything can be good value at the right price, so understanding how to value a saw is important. Experienced traders have far less 'bad experiences' but you have to start somewhere and often you learn a lot from a simple mistake.

Wow I absolutely knew this is the site for me....

Chris I can see how a guy can get "upside" down with a lemon really fast....

Frogfarmeryou are proving what I have been thinking for awhile which is suck it up and just buy a new damn saw!!!! I mean I heat with wood and sell it, and it without a doubt would be money well spent and pay for itself in a years time period....

Cr888 absolutely.... I know a little bout saws but am by no means an experienced trader for sure....

I mean do you guys think the 441 model that they sell now are good saws or at least close to as good as the older models... I think it would be a good size saw for me because it can handle the bigger size wood that I don't really like cutting with my 290...

Thanks for all the reply guys....

Ok logeeland I see....do you think there is any real difference in the 044, 440,441 in your opinion....
Bayard I probably will hold out..... Thanks

And chainsaw Jim that's great advice If I go back to look at it I will definitely. Look for the lines, and I will remember this advice for future reference... Thanks a lot
There is difference. I have only run the 044 and the 441. The 441 has much better anti vibe. Runs smoother too. But if you can find an 044 for a good price it is worth it. Easy to rebuild!

I'm another broken saw buyer. I usually spend $5 to 100 on dead saws and have ended up with some great runners after full rebuilds or just a carb kit. It pays to be patient and not just search here or craigslist. Get in your car and visit all your local dealers. Tell them your looking for a blown up pro grade saw. You may be surprised. I have 4 dealers that save me the good ones... After a lot of bsing and just getting face time at the shop. Give them your buisiness on small sand they tend to keep you in mind.

The advise to stick with a saw with tons of aftermarket support is woth gold. A 272xp is a 150 dollar full rebuild saw.

As for comp testers, go with an OTC kit from amazon. Best tester for the money and literally the same kit as most of the tool truck brands.

Good luck!

You know I am goin to call all shops around tomorro, but when I look on all of the stores websites, not one have the 441 listed at all.... What is the deal with that.... I live in east central Indian.... Surely someone has one in stock....

Will do wagnerworks... Thanks for advice..... I am goin to check out that gauge right now....

It is being phased out this spring. The rumor is the MS442 is coming out soon. Dealers should still have them in stock, but Stihl is not allowing the buy it online and pickup in store.

Hate to get way off topic but now I have to ask, and I know it's impossible to answer but maybe you guys have some inside info.... Do you guys think that it may be a good idea to wait and see what the 442 is like or drop hammer and try to get a 441 if I can....

Oh and to wagerworks what do u spend on average to rebuild a 360 or 44 model saw, if you don't mind me asking....

Prices will depend on aftermarket parts or OEM. Saws I kept I went OEM. Saws I rebuilt to flip all aftermarket. Top quality aftermarket is almost as good as OEM.

Do you need a 70cc saw now? If not then wait. Also you might see more 044, MS440 and MS441's pop up if people want the 442. If you want new now the 441 won't let you down.

Back