Questions for Chainsaw shop owners......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you going to run into zoning issues running this out of your garage? Would probably depend a lot on your neighbors -- if they don't mind some extra noise, folks parking in front of their house, etc.
I will check. but the state didn't seem to have a problem with me using my home address as the place of business when I set up my LLC.

Oh my neighbors are use to Noise from me. Kids car work and I am a hobbyist knife maker as well. I haven't got a complaint yet

We charge $90/hr. .5 hr minimum.

$14 to grind a chain, $10 if it's not with the saw (ie.. just the chain). $5 to shorten or lengthen *plus chain).

New loops around $0.35 a driver (varies on what chain though)

Parts we markup 25% normally. Once in a blue moon get someone that will do the "well that part is less on eBay (or whatever other site)"
I tell them, ok, I'll order that if you want, but it's .5/hr labor. (I don't have all damn day to look all over the Internet for every part we order!)

Honestly I would rather shut down the small engine side. It's a PITA, wastes alot of time that cant be billed (looking up parts, troubleshooting, etc). Can't charge 4 hrs on a $350 push mower, even if that's want it really took between parts lookup, research, trying a few things.

and not very profitable.
Lot of times people either expect we drop everything that's going on to fix their junk or that we have some obscure obsolete part for a 50+yr old engine in stock, know exactly where it is, and in their hand in 30 seconds.

Oh, and seems to bring a certain clientele at times.

"You fixed my mower 4 years ago, it's doing the same thing again, I'm not paying"

Or the crowd that seems to be stuck in 1950 and figures everything can be fixed for about $20.

We charge $90/hr. .5 hr minimum.

$14 to grind a chain, $10 if it's not with the saw (ie.. just the chain). $5 to shorten or lengthen *plus chain).

New loops around $0.35 a driver (varies on what chain though)

Parts we markup 25% normally. Once in a blue moon get someone that will do the "well that part is less on eBay (or whatever other site)"
I tell them, ok, I'll order that if you want, but it's .5/hr labor. (I don't have all damn day to look all over the Internet for every part we order!)

Honestly I would rather shut down the small engine side. It's a PITA, wastes alot of time that cant be billed (looking up parts, troubleshooting, etc). Can't charge 4 hrs on a $350 push mower, even if that's want it really took between parts lookup, research, trying a few things.

and not very profitable.
Lot of times people either expect we drop everything that's going on to fix their junk or that we have some obscure obsolete part for a 50+yr old engine in stock, know exactly where it is, and in their hand in 30 seconds.

Oh, and seems to bring a certain clientele at times.

"You fixed my mower 4 years ago, it's doing the same thing again, I'm not paying"

Or the crowd that seems to be stuck in 1950 and figures everything can be fixed for about $20.
Man! got a great taste of that exact same stuff working on cars for 17 years! Sounds like I'm going to be at home then!

Thanks guys! I thought about doing a loaner program with the hutzl saws for some of the tree companies I do a bit of work for. I wouldn't mind an 066, 372 and the 360 clones....

I wouldn't consider that the loner part that is our boss tried it with with a couple of saws that were ready for trading in they were fine leaving the shop but I spent most of my time sorting/repairing them the moral seemed it's not mine so I don't give a s**t how I treat it A most definite not worth yje hassle

Back