Quick 346xpNE questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stand corrected.

I had orignally talked to my Jred dealer about a 16" 3/8ths setup, but changed my mind before I picked it up. Lo and behold, they had called Tilton regarding doing that setup, and Tilton advised them that, if they delivered the saw with a 3/8ths setup, they would have to accept all liability and responsibility if there were to be an accident.

Since I opted to go with the .325 setup ANYWAY, it was no big deal. But yes, if you go Jred at least, you will have to do the conversion yourself.

That is probably because they havent taken the trouble to get it ANSI approved, with a 3/8" set-up........:censored:

What a bargain..........

price of saw

new muffler

conversion bar and chain.

I didn't want the 3/8ths afterall, and I didn't pay a dime for the non-cat muffler. My muffler is as empty as Tom Hall's head... :D :D :D

I didn't want the 3/8ths afterall, and I didn't pay a dime for the non-cat muffler. My muffler is as empty as Tom Hall's head... :D :D :D

Glad to hear that..............I feel sorry for those who had to pay for all the extras.....

Did ya get it for under 400.00 out the door ???

Last edited:
That is probably because they havent taken the trouble to get it ANSI approved, with a 3/8" set-up........:censored:

No doubt. There's something here in the States I've heard about where saws under a certain displacement have to be "certified" somehow with particular bar and chain combinations.

I don't know who does that certification, I don't know what the displacement limit is, and I don't really have the foggiest idea what I'm talking about.

No one should be surprised by that last statement...

No doubt. There's something here in the States I've heard about where saws under a certain displacement have to be "certified" somehow with particular bar and chain combinations.

I don't know who does that certification, I don't know what the displacement limit is, and I don't really have the foggiest idea what I'm talking about.

No one should be surprised by that last statement...

I believe you are pretty close anyway, and I believe the limit is 60 or 61cc.....

Did ya get it for under 400.00 out the door ???

That would only happen at two in the morning with the alarm going off! I sell the Husky or the Red for $425 W/18" B&C, which I think is a good price.

Suppliers don't have the luxury of being able to waver on approved bar and chain combos, particularly on saws in this CC range, which are required to go out the door meeting ANSI kicback standards. This is also the real reason that a warranty card has a place for the customers signature. You are signing that you are aware of kickback and it's consequences.

But what about replacement chain purchases? Most people specifically ask for non safety chain. Does it, or should it, make a difference if they install it themselves vs. me putting it on the saw? It probably does, but I'm not the type to worry about being sued every time I leave the house. You can't live in fear of that nonsense any more than being afraid to get in a car because you might have an accident.

That would only happen at two in the morning with the alarm going off! I sell the Husky or the Red for $425 W/18" B&C, which I think is a good price.

Suppliers don't have the luxury of being able to waver on approved bar and chain combos, particularly on saws in this CC range, which are required to go out the door meeting ANSI kicback standards. This is also the real reason that a warranty card has a place for the customers signature. You are signing that you are aware of kickback and it's consequences.

But what about replacement chain purchases? Most people specifically ask for non safety chain. Does it, or should it, make a difference if they install it themselves vs. me putting it on the saw? It probably does, but I'm not the type to worry about being sued every time I leave the house. You can't live in fear of that nonsense any more than being afraid to get in a car because you might have an accident.

Good post but I don't agree on that 425.00 price tag at all. If it were me and I sold Dolmar, Husky and Stihl the Dolmar 5100, the Husky 346xp and the Stihl 260 would all three be the exact same price. I've never understood why they aren't. All three are 50cc pro saws running same length bars and chains. If a 260 can bring 459.95-479.95 depending on bar size then by Joe the other two can too. Just my two cents and you know me Spike, cost is what, least of my worries, give me the saw, hand me the bill and I'm happy..

Is that + tax ?? with both mufflers??

Ultra, I think you know that the $425 doesn't include the tax and muffler. If you're trying to re-enforce your point about the 5100's price advantage, you'll get no argument from me. The numbers are what they are. I've been charging $25 for the muffler if it goes out with the saw. (I won't install it). So in my store, that means that the 5100 has a $100 price advantage, which is pretty significant. Local tax here is 8%, which of course applies to both saws. They're both hanging on the wall, clearly marked, but the Husky far outsells the Dolmar.

As you know, brand loyalty can be pretty strong. Most Husky guys wouldn't consider the Dolmar if it was $200 cheaper. The awareness that Dolmar enjoys here on AS, and in a few places where they are somewhat established, is not indicative of the general market. Most of the guys who have bought Dolmars from us are very happy, and the brand will eventually gain traction here. But many guys who are long time Husky or Stihl users just aren't interested in something different, regardless of the price.

Ultra, I think you know that the $425 doesn't include the tax and muffler. If you're trying to re-enforce your point about the 5100's price advantage, you'll get no argument from me. The numbers are what they are. I've been charging $25 for the muffler if it goes out with the saw. (I won't install it). So in my store, that means that the 5100 has a $100 price advantage, which is pretty significant. Local tax here is 8%, which of course applies to both saws. They're both hanging on the wall, clearly marked, but the Husky far outsells the Dolmar.

As you know, brand loyalty can be pretty strong. Most Husky guys wouldn't consider the Dolmar if it was $200 cheaper. The awareness that Dolmar enjoys here on AS, and in a few places where they are somewhat established, is not indicative of the general market. Most of the guys who have bought Dolmars from us are very happy, and the brand will eventually gain traction here. But many guys who are long time Husky or Stihl users just aren't interested in something different, regardless of the price.

Spike60 I was just asking??.............Im still trying to justify buying one....:cheers: :cheers:

Don't think I didn't see that punk, I'm gonna let ya slide this time to getcha
Con FA Dense up. When I do come for ya its gonna be tuff on ya, ya hear me fool, now spell I love Tom 400 times and I might consider forgiving you, might I said , no promises,LOLOL

Spike60 I was just asking??.............Im still trying to justify buying one....:cheers: :cheers:

Hey, I wasn't miffed or anything. I think you've raised a legitimate question: Is the 346/2153 worth that much more than the 5100? Some will say yes and some will say no, but there isn't really a wrong answer. It comes down to personal choice/preferance with different people using different variables when making up their minds.

Lot's of times when I see people trying to decide between two items with price being the barrier, I just ask them how long they plan on owning the thing. That price difference usually doesn't seem that important when broken down over the life of the saw or whatever.

in that video with the 346 NE...............

he really needs to get that carb adjusted.i redid mine after the dealer did it and what a difference.it really does rip.

did you see the same guys video with the 455? i was waiting for him to clip that trailer side with the bar tip.

he really needs to get that carb adjusted.

i was waiting for him to clip that trailer side with the bar tip.

my carb was adjusted exactly the way i wanted it holmes, but thanks. i made the video not trying to show off the speed of the saw. what i was doing was showing that the saw would pull a 3/8 chain as there was some fanboi's on here that seemed to think it wouldn't.

as for clipping the trailer, well things are not as they seem sometimes, ay? you woulds be waiting until hell freezes over and i was not even close from where i was standing.

Spike, that seems like a good price on that saw. I dont know too many stihl dealers that would knock 50 bucks off a 260.

:cheers:

i put a 3/8 chain on mine and it pulls it fine on a 16" bar.

i don't know why the ythink that..325 chain sucks as far as i'm concerned.

just saying it could run a little smoother.mine isn't maxed out on the tach.i never max them out.it's running about 13,800.

you're right on the video.it looks too close for comfort.i understand the it may be further in person.

Latest posts

Back