raising the BSM bed sections on the LT-15

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be curious to hear how the power feed works on the LT15. Seems one of the so called "experts" around here was jumping up and down claiming how you will have no gains with a power feed on such a mill, but I'm not buying into that...that same "expert" sold their sawmill, and went out of the milling business...go figure...

Please do report how it works.

I think it will give a more consistent cut, you should be able to dial the speed in for the wood your cutting. :cheers:

Seems one of the so called "experts" around here was jumping up and down claiming how you will have no gains with a power feed on such a mill, but I'm not buying into that...that same "expert" sold their sawmill, and went out of the milling business...go figure...

OK man...I guess I have to tell you....as a friend. It's getting a little old.

I don't consider anyone here an expert, more like a bunch of people sharing an interest doing their best to help someone else out. I don't know why the smoke went out of business and sold off some equipment...who cares? He still has an opinion..and can express it. I'll decide for myself if his opinion has merit. I was thinking you are very knowledgeable and learning many things along the way, sharing your knowledge...don't feel you need to put down everyone else...or even one guy you disagree with, just to give your opinion merit. I'll respect your opinion more if it came without yet another put down. It's not becoming.
'Be the expert with expertise, not by discounting others'.

Ted,

Why do you need a log ramp and winch? Put a set of pallet forks on that Mahindra and that is all you will ever need. I have a Kioti 40 horse that I load all my logs with(also have aLT15 with 27' of track). Load them, back off a couple of feet, mill them and re stack on the forks, drive to where they are getting loaded or stacked and drop them, grab another log and go back to the mill.
For really big logs use the FEL/forks to turn them. Wrap a chain around the log and lift very gently while backing up. It takes a few times to get good at it, but it is easier than it sounds.

26'x28" Hemlock(rafters for my log house):

Turning a big Hemlock with a borrowed Mahindra(Kioti blew a head gasket):

To get those 4,000 lb logs on the mill, I had to drag them next to it, roll them close, then pick up one end at a time and set it on the mill with the forks.

Haven't seen this thread in a while but that's okay.
The report on the power feeder, I like it. Especially when returning the head back to the cutting position.
starting off I was having a problem with it but realized it was the rope that I had put on it. When I went to the two extra bed sections I needed a longer rope of course, and that blue rope I put on there was fine as long as the head was free wheeling back and forth. As soon as there was tension from trying to cut a log it just wouldn't track smooth.

The rope was the problem, it was a double braided core rope I got at the big box store in 50 foot length, and they come in all sorts of preety colors, I'm sure you've seen them. It seemed to bunch up going one way or the other and start to slip and sometimes bind up.... I'm going on memory here. I replaced it with a 3/8" braided hollow core rope I got over at wally world for about $4, and it's been working fine since.

Ted,

Why do you need a log ramp and winch? Put a set of pallet forks on that Mahindra and that is all you will ever need. I have a Kioti 40 horse that I load all my logs with(also have aLT15 with 27' of track). Load them, back off a couple of feet, mill them and re stack on the forks, drive to where they are getting loaded or stacked and drop them, grab another log and go back to the mill.
For really big logs use the FEL/forks to turn them. Wrap a chain around the log and lift very gently while backing up. It takes a few times to get good at it, but it is easier than it sounds.

To get those 4,000 lb logs on the mill, I had to drag them next to it, roll them close, then pick up one end at a time and set it on the mill with the forks.

Motorseven, since I raised the mill up a couple feet it has been easier on my back and the cleaning under the mill is a breeze... I use the gas blower, works great when I do decide to clean. I get alot of leaves because we have alot of oak trees on the property and you know leaves, they get everywhere.
I did build a short log ramp, around 8 foot long and I can park a spare log on it while I'm milling, it just can't be too wide if I want to get the head by it, and yes most of the logs I can just use the tractor to lift it to the deck. It's limited though because it only a 25HP tractor & the FEL has a limited weight.
Ted
6779400951_0025f77c2c.jpg

6779397429_b2dfffbd3c.jpg

Cool, it looks like you have knocked the new off that mill. As for the tractor size, you know the answer to that one eh?.......Bigger Tractor:msp_thumbup:

I could have used a bigger tractor 3 weeks ago. A friend was building a horse arena on his property and had 20+ trees, 24 inch dia x 24 foot long that he had to get cut down and his neighbor offered to deliver for a fee.... but no way to offload the trailer. I was willing to pick up three or four at a time over 6 or 9 weekends with my trailer, that has the 2 ton rolling winch down the middle, but he needed them gone that weekend.
Working 60 hours a week, especially with an 2 1/2 hour drive time per day, time is precious. I still have about 10 logs I haven't milled yet waiting to be cut. The drought was especially rough on a number of trees this year.
Later,
Ted

Latest posts

Back