Raleigh, NC Urban Logging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noleified

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted this same thing on another forum here too. I have roughly 40 large to medium pine trees I need removed. I thought if there was a logging company who wanted to come in, drop them, and take them away, they can have them. This seems to me a win - win situation as i get the trees removed and they get to make some money.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks.

Call the NC Forest Service and we will get you a list of loggers.
The Wake Co ranger (Chris Frey) may know off hand if there are any loggers in the area who will log small lots.

Wake County Ranger Chris Frey
4001 Carya Drive Suite E
Raleigh, NC 227603-2916
Phone: 919-212-7363
Email: [email protected]

Be sure there isn't a local ordinance or deed restriction relating to tree removal. There can be huge legal bills if there are any regulations that get accidentally violated.

Good point. We are in the county of Wake and I know there are some regulations, but we should be ok. I am by no means interested in clear cutting my lot. I have a lot of trees so what i am looking to remove is minimal. I will do some checking on that though.

Ooooh, good advice DGG.

There was once a case in Raleigh where a man harvested his mature pine plantation.
Everything was harvested.
Apparently in Raleigh you must leave a buffer on public roadways and the city told him he must replace the trees with equally sized trees.
Obviously it's insanely expensive to transplant mature pines, so in the end the guy was forced to give the land (or part of it) to the city.

The ranger should know more information about city regulations.

look in the yellow pages and call Youngs they are cheap on pine removal.

For helpfiguring out what to keep and how to keep it healthy look under Arborist and call the better one.:rockn:

Thanks for all the help. Fumbler - Chris gave me a call back. Apparently this is a common request for him. He said they get this request around once a week and he had a packet already set up he was going to mail me.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the help. Fumbler - Chris gave me a call back. Apparently this is a common request for him. He said they get this request around once a week and he had a packet already set up he was going to mail me.

Thanks again.

I suspected he'd have info ready for you.
I'm glad we could help. If you ever have any questions on forestry, or even shade tree/arborist questions, then ask the county ranger.
I think that Chris, like many NCFS employees in urban areas, is a certified arborist.

Back