Ramblings on a rainy PNW day.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today for a few minutes I clearly saw this bright golden orb in the sky. About the time my eyes adjusted to the brilliance all around me it was gone.

Mr. HE:cool:

Hello Larrytcg,
Do you miss the Ole Mountain Top?:)
Ah yes Eagle Point off of Eureka and BB Blvd. Caught a lot of trout all around that peninsula. I'm in Sugarloaf. You sure missed the Biggest Snowfall since 1969 this winter.
Speaking of Bear Mountain, I was just on a removal over in MoonRidge Last Week. Is the elevation where your at in Oregon about the same as here?

Ed
Stay Safe Out and Up There
:chainsaw:

Do I know you? I have done a little work on your side of the mountain.

I would rather have been out today in the most miserable weather the skys could throw at me.
Instead stuck in a meeting room arguing proposed WACs (Washington Administrative Codes) with bureaucrat types. Makes me wish for the days of cold wet feet and hands.

Last edited:
I would rather have been out today in the most miserable weather the skys could throw at me.
Instead stuck in a meeting room arguing proposed WACs (Washington Administrative Codes) with bureaucrat types. Makes me wish for the days of cold wet feet and hands.

Four hours in a meeting is always longer than four hours anywhere else. We're having our Annual Be Good Or Else And Do More With Less series of meetings now. Re-runs from last year.

We have those kinda meetings weakly, farkin' government anyways.

Cold here now, into the 30s, crap. Hwy 199 is closed, rock slide, could be open sometime tommorrow, I'm betting Friday's storm will close it again.

It's about time for the annual PNW weather tease. Lovely Sping weather followed by two months of rain, ending July 5. I'll bask in the tease and justify the latter with 'we really need the rain' bs.

Cool warkable day here.

edit> oh, wait. I live on the East Side now. nevermind.

17F and sunny this morning, just about time to go run the dogs...while I walk. Here's what's coming up...

attachment.php

Im convinced, im in the chittiest part of oregon(besides just south of me). i want big trees in rain forests. Harsh weather on steep alpine slopes, fat fish in raging rivers. Dont get othin bit wind here in La Grande, even the timber here sucks, its taller back east!!

"Hiking" in heavy Viking Caulks is not enjoyable. The boots are heavy, they eat socks, and are not kind to feet. They're barely tolerable for working in a unit, but for hiking any distance.

I WAAAHNT MY KULIENS!:cry:

Rant over. Thank goodness for Crocs. :clap:

"Hiking" in heavy Viking Caulks is not enjoyable. The boots are heavy, they eat socks, and are not kind to feet. They're barely tolerable for working in a unit, but for hiking any distance.

I WAAAHNT MY KULIENS!:cry:

Rant over. Thank goodness for Crocs. :clap:

I've felt your pain. I have lots of boots because each task seems to need a different type. That's my excuse for having so many pairs.

I took down a couple of hung up trees today. First one went with just a good face and then a fast back cut. It was uprooting and the stump setting back released enough pressure to get it moving. Second one started to go and then hung up worse after the top moved about ten feet. I was sure it would, but there was no other way to do it. I could have set up the hinge to pull more to the right, but the angle needed to swing it free of the other trees would have sent it into the power lines.

So, following the plan B, I set a winch up and put the cable so it would roll the butt sideways. The ten feet it had moved at the top was enough that the power lines were out of danger. Tree made about half a revolution and dropped right where I wanted it, and the very tip top was six inches off the edge of the road. I'd like to pretend I'm that good, but the truth would bite me in the hind end next one so I'll try to be humble.:)

I'll see if I can get some pics of the logs tomorrow. They are not big. I've already bucked them to length for my bandsaw mill, I've still got to skid 'em out.

I took down a couple of hung up trees today. First one went with just a good face and then a fast back cut. It was uprooting and the stump setting back released enough pressure to get it moving. Second one started to go and then hung up worse after the top moved about ten feet. I was sure it would, but there was no other way to do it. I could have set up the hinge to pull more to the right, but the angle needed to swing it free of the other trees would have sent it into the power lines.

So, following the plan B, I set a winch up and put the cable so it would roll the butt sideways. The ten feet it had moved at the top was enough that the power lines were out of danger. Tree made about half a revolution and dropped right where I wanted it, and the very tip top was six inches off the edge of the road. I'd like to pretend I'm that good, but the truth would bite me in the hind end next one so I'll try to be humble.:)

I'll see if I can get some pics of the logs tomorrow. They are not big. I've already bucked them to length for my bandsaw mill, I've still got to skid 'em out.

What kind of band mill are you running?

What kind of band mill are you running?

It's a homebuilt set up, actually not running yet. I've got a few things left to finish, it's real simple overall, 16hp V-Twin. I've got plenty of logs waiting once it's done. lol

Anybody tired of rain yet? Looks like we have a strong storm coming in tonight.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/FXC/make_img.php?wfo=eka&iname=Active_Screen1L&size=1&force=no
Check out the neato graphics, are they using Paint? Love the pink arrows

I can wear my Kuliens in the rain. I've been in the snow doing layout. Yesterday finished the one with a bit of a walk into. Wearing the non Kuliens because of snow. I could see the sun was out on the other side of the drainage, but not where I was. The snow was melting and making for a constant drip drip so it didn't matter that it wasn't raining, I still got wet. Moving too much for raingear, you know the story.

But it wasn't raining.

What was neat, was seeing CLEARCUT tags on the backside of the trees that I was hanging PARTIAL CUT tags on. Where the never done clearcut had been planned was now over ripe Hemlock, Cedar, and DF. Lots of defect.

Back