Ran 32" bar on 390xp w/ full comp and full skip. My thoughts.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rngrchad

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I see the threads come up all the time asking: "what cuts better fullcomp or skip? What runs smoother full comp or skip? Should I run skip? Etc Etc. Tonight I had the rare opportunity to lay into a humongous Red Oak that was dropped off at our work yard on a low-boy equipment trailer. The oak stick measured roughly48"+/- for over 18ft! Anyhow I took the time to switch out chains a few times just to get a feel for any differences good or bad. Thought some may be interested as most of the info on this topic is related to Western firs, pines and softwoods. Keep in mind this is my take on things...I'm no pro-logger.

Wood: Red Oak
Saw- 390xp
Bar- 32" Oregon pro-lite
Chains- Oregon 72jgx (full skip)
Oregon 72glx (full comp)
72Jgx- It "self fed" really well and threw rather big chips. With the bar fully buried into oak the 390xp turned it with ease. I made really quick progress on 5 bucking cuts and the chain did not feel any considerable dullness whatsoever. I made a mental note on how it felt in the hardwood. When cutting smaller limbs off surrounding woodpile to clean workspace, the full skip felt like I had to apply more pressure to the tip in order to make a "quick" cut.

72jlx- Saw didn't feel as though it ran at any slower rpm's with this fullcomp(glx) vs skip(jgx). Once the full 32"(105links) into the wood it seemed to self-feed just a bit faster than glx. It felt more aggressive. For what it's worth the saw chips were considerably smaller. Chain seemed more pronounced about wanting to pull the saw-dawgs into the wood. I'm splitting hairs here: but the full comp oddly felt a bit rougher than the skip which really suprised me. Clearing smaller limbs with this jlx felt smoother, quicker and more effortless while limbing. After making 5 bucking cuts this seemed to hold its sharpness as well.

I was hoping doing a side-by-side comparison of the two would give me an idea of what kind of chain loops I want to run on this longer bar. I really liked the convenience of sharpening skip chain but figured that if full-comp felt considerably better all around I would deal with long-sharpening intervals and buy full-comp. However, I personally liked the skip chain and felt that it's cutting characteristics are slightly different in feel and I prefer the lesser amount of cutters it offers. Full skip, if it was slower at all, did in no way seem to be a compromise in this situation. I pleasantly surprised myself with my favoring of skip chain.

I felt of no negative comments on either chain style other than the extra time sharpening of full-comp.

Thanks for reading hope I didn't bore anyone too much:D

interesting. i have full skip for my 36". i havent used that setup as of yet. ill tell you im dreading the day that chain needs sharpening. maybe next order ill get a couple loops of skip.

I have a loop of full comp and another of full skip for my 36", both Stihl chains. I used the full skip on the 066BB when milling oak slabs. I made 9 cuts up to 30" wide and 8' long, and the chain is still sharp. It didn't leave as smooth of surface as I got with full comp previously, though.

Good Post!!!!!!

Ranger Chad!!!!!!! :rockn::rock::laugh:
Ive got to say I have experienced similar results in oak,,, just never put it down on paper and really compared them on the same saw in the same day

I find when running skip especially on a modded saw that an 8 pin rim tends to put it in the same ball park with FC W/7 pin for agressiveness

and keep them sharp!!!!!!!!!

I like em to pull/sling a chip that looks like a Grub worm!!!!!!!! LOLOL!!!!!!!!!

Good job,,, got the RR2 Rep!!!!!!

Last edited:
Miles, & RiverRat,
Glad you dug the post! I wish I had a camera with me to add effect to the thread. Unfortunately I hadn't planned on bucking that huge stick today. I had to get on our Komatsu dozer to move the pieces around after they were cut. I'm going to just make a ramp into a dumpster and shove them in when the time comes to for transport.

an 8 pin rim tends to put it in the same ball park with FC for agressiveness
I've got an 8pin but my buddy just put it on his 660 lol! I'll have to order another cause I know I ain't getting that one back:laugh:

Oh, my co-workers we're floored at how quickly my 390 sectioned out that Oak:rockn:

Last edited:
i have a stihl 20" semi-skip square chain on my 036 with a 8-pin and it rips through wood like its not even there, and is really smooth.

chowdozer wrote:RSF is all I use on everything from 20 to 36.

That is my next chain. Supposed to be the best huh?

spankrz wrote: i have a stihl 20" semi-skip square chain on my 036 with a 8-pin and it rips through wood like its not even there, and is really smooth.

I am dying to try some square cutters! I just got to tell myself one chain at a time. Haha.

Yup Im a square ground semi skipper Stihl chain guy. I did a little testing with full comp and semi skip in doug fir seamed as tho it cleared chips better and chain didnt load up in the cut. Noticeable differance in chip action. Full comp id have to ream cut a little to keep cutting speed up. Good post Rngr

Square semi-skip is some mighty good stuff. If I use it on the 372XPW Univent, it cuts so fast that I don't get to spend enough time on cutting!

I prefer full skip on 25'' bars and up. Twice as fast to sharpen and stays sharp for a good amount of time. I run the Bailey's brand.

To he!! with skip and full comp------I use and continue to use SEMI SKIP

I need to try square cutter chain and semi-skip chain. So much for my theory of buying new chains only when I've run my current ones down to the witness marks. Tommorow night, I'm going to replace a few damaged drive-tangs on some carlton rc full comp and oregon skip chains that I ran too loose and threw off the sprocket:dizzy: Maybe I'll order some square cutter semi-skip if I can find it anywhere.

Funky Sawman, where are you getting your semi-skip square ground?
-rngrchad

Latest posts

Back