reason 440's are the standard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree

Indeed the 440/044 is an excellent saw. I loved mine. Problem is, it still doesn't really stack up against a 7900. Hence, it's very close to some other saws that'll do a little more than it will. I'd say if you were going to try and get a new 44 your better off to get a 7900 for about $200 less, better vibration, lighter, and a full HP more than the 440. Don't get me wrong, it's a GREAT saw, it's just too close in size to others that'll out cut it. I love my old 288XP also, but I know that for a 90cc saw, if I were buying a new one, I'd buy a 660 mag. Get my point here??? I know where you can get an almost new 44 for $525 plus shipping. I don't think it has 20 hours on it. Good luck though and don't get me wrong with what I'm saying. Stihl is just an inherently more expensive saw than alot of others and since I'm poor, I always look at the whole value of a package. ;) :cheers:

Cheers,
Dude

I have a 7900 and i agree that it is a great saw, I was commenting on that i was so suprised at how much I liked the 440. It felt good in my hands and had plenty of power-

It pushes a 20 chain much better than my 361. I could fit it in between the 361 and 7900. 361-18 /440-20/ 7900-24 hmm

firehouse you say thall?

It pushes a 20 chain much better than my 361. I could fit it in between the 361 and 7900. 361-18 /440-20/ 7900-24 hmm

firehouse you say thall?

A 20" isn't really ideal on the 361, or any 60cc saw, but people still are buying the saws with it, and generally like the performanse, until they try a shorter one.......;) :blob2:

20" should be ideal on the 440!

A 20" isn't really ideal on the 361, or any 60cc saw, but people still are buying the saws with it, and generally like the performanse, until they try a shorter one.......;) :blob2:

A 20" bar rips on a 440!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I like an 18" bar on the 361!!!!!

Last edited:

MS361 w/24" and full-skip is just fine for bucking. Don't have to bend over.
You guys STOP IT!!! I don't need a 440...I don't think...er, well if you can find me one for me...I "might" possibly take a look..and "maybe" consider buying it.

it still doesn't really stack up against a 7900. Hence, it's very close to some other saws that'll do a little more than it will. I'd say if you were going to try and get a new 44 your better off to get a 7900 for
The 7900 is great IF you can find a dealer and IF you never need parts.......
The 7900 is OK for the weekend warrior that has back ups, but for serious pro users it doesnt make the cut.

Ask for a 20" bar on a 361 or 440 around here, and they'll give you a free purse to carry your extra chains in. Setups are different in different places. Here, you don't see much shorter than a 28" on a 44. Anything shorter, and you're carrying too much powerhead for the bar. If you're a flatlander who doesn't get far from roads, then you're good with a short bar on a big powerhead.

I agree with what Ben says. My 5100 isn't a money maker, and I can afford to have it broken down while I wait for parts. Seein's how I can get parts for a 44/46 down at the convienence store in town, I'll take a Stihl.

Yeah, the 44 is bad Larry. The 441, not so much. Maybe it's the elevation I'm at, but they're weak compared to stock 440s. They get better with a little opening of the muffler, but are nothing next to a muffler modded 440. I've said it before, I'll grab a 44 off the rack at work before the 441. Even with the additional vibration. Cut times matter if you're standing in a fire dancing the ol' hot foot jig. Weight also matters when you have to pack the sucker a couple miles straight up a 70% slope, cut saw line for 12 hours, then hike back down. If you're taking it from the back of your truck across a yard to cut down one tree, then put it back into the truck and pull out a 50cc limbing saw, then it's great. If you actually work with your saw, the 441 doesn't stack up against the 440. And yes, before long, I will be packing one up a 70% slope, etc... due to elimination of the 440, but until the last 440 in our cache dies (or the 441 gets a lot better), I'll still grab it instead.

The 7900 is great IF you can find a dealer and IF you never need parts.......
The 7900 is OK for the weekend warrior that has back ups, but for serious pro users it doesnt make the cut.

Hey, how come there's no "reg rag" emotive? I can hear the bulls charging already.:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Ask for a 20" bar on a 361 or 440 around here, and they'll give you a free purse to carry your extra chains in. Setups are different in different places. Here, you don't see much shorter than a 28" on a 44. Anything shorter, and you're carrying too much powerhead for the bar. If you're a flatlander who doesn't get far from roads, then you're good with a short bar on a big powerhead.

LMAO Tim!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great post!!!

Gary

I agree with what Ben says. My 5100 isn't a money maker, and I can afford to have it broken down while I wait for parts. Seein's how I can get parts for a 44/46 down at the convienence store in town, I'll take a Stihl.

Yeah, the 44 is bad Larry. The 441, not so much. Maybe it's the elevation I'm at, but they're weak compared to stock 440s. They get better with a little opening of the muffler, but are nothing next to a muffler modded 440. I've said it before, I'll grab a 44 off the rack at work before the 441. Even with the additional vibration. Cut times matter if you're standing in a fire dancing the ol' hot foot jig. Weight also matters when you have to pack the sucker a couple miles straight up a 70% slope, cut saw line for 12 hours, then hike back down. If you're taking it from the back of your truck across a yard to cut down one tree, then put it back into the truck and pull out a 50cc limbing saw, then it's great. If you actually work with your saw, the 441 doesn't stack up against the 440. And yes, before long, I will be packing one up a 70% slope, etc... due to elimination of the 440, but until the last 440 in our cache dies (or the 441 gets a lot better), I'll still grab it instead.

I love it,,,,,,

Well said Tim......

Last edited:
I own a 361 and a 7900,

I have been reading so much about the 441 and the much coveted 440. I had to find and try one.

as I rounded the corner in a buddies barn- there it is a freshly tuned up 440 so i took it out for a few logs.

I now understand why the 440 is the standard go to saw.

it seemed to do everything well, I really liked the saw and am now considering starting the search for a left over or maybe I'll just wait until I am asked to return the one I have.

does that make me a bad person- it there a charge called sawnapping?

K

Good Luck! They were on sale in July to make room for the new 441s and sold out fast. And, I know some guys who have 440s and also use purses to carry small tools in. But, the purses are no longer purses, they are now magically changed into "tool bags." They still look like purses to me. but I got "The Look" when I pointed this out.

man bags

Purses- I thought they were man bags.

now you tell me they are called tool bags-

Here in Jersey we call the SACKS.

I am sorry if the PNW'ers don't have them. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
At the risk of being somewhat on-topic.

I did find a new 440 yesterday. Dealer wants DSRP. It would end up costing a lot more than my 441. I decided to pass, for now.

Latest posts

Back