Recommend a saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pweber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been using a Husqvarna 351 with an 18" bar since about 2002. It's still running strong, but the other day the bar oiler started putting out a bit too much oil. I cleaned it up and turned the adjusting screw back and forth a few times and it seems to be working ok now. Before too long I'll probably be shopping around for a new saw. I cut 2-4 cords a year and rarely tackle anything over 30" so I really don't need a beast. I've considered moving up to a 20" bar, but with beat-up, old shoulders I really don't want anything too heavy. Do you guys have any recommendations for a comparable replacement for the 351? Stihl, Husqvarna, Makita, Dolmar?

Husqvarvna 545, 550 would be the new professional grade equivalents. Or 450 is the homeowner grade.

If your saw still runs well you might want to step up to a 60 cc saw to run a 20" bar. 562 or 555 Husqvarna or 2260 Jonsered.

I just bought a Jonsered 2255 , have 4 tanks of gas in it and already like it better than my Stihl MS260 and I really like that saw but the 2255 has 10% more displacement at 55cc and that is just enough that 20 inches of bar and chisle chain doesn't slow it down

the husky 455 rancher is the same saw in orange it is a lot of saw for the money.

I went Johnsered because my local saw shop is a dealer and he is only a mile down the road

I am really liking the 3/8 .58 chisel chain over the .325 probably mostly because it takes a bigger bite but also because the new saw has the power to pull it through 20 inches of wood without slowing down

the Stihl has been rebuild with an after market top end it feels just like it did before and it does run 20 inches of chain in wood but you can't apply much more pressure than the weight of the saw when doing it or it starts to slow down , It didn't do this with the lo kick back chain but it also didn't cut as fast , I could see running skip tooth chain when I wear out the last 2 chains I have for it

I've been enjoying my 362 m-tronic. I think svk's suggestion of a 60 cc saw is great. I've never run a husky or jonesed but I hear they are good saws. There are a lot of good options. Having a dealer nearby should be a factor as well. Stihl dealer is half a mile from me and I like supporting local business.

I own a Dolmar 6100 and have run a Jonsered 2260 at work. I prefer the Dolmar. It has more mid range. The 2260 had the rear AV mounts ripped out at one point. The Dolmar looks a bit beefier in that area. Sure it is not a common failure, but, I am not a huge fan of the J-reds external clutch either. Both will make you happy IMO and I would own the Jonsered if it was cheaper then the Dolmar.

they all have some features that lend them selves to be a little better for one person over the other

if your a chain changer then external clutch is sort of a pain , if you sharpen with a file on saw it makes very little difference

gennerally unless you had 2 saws next to each other you wouldn't notice the differences in how much faster one cuts over the other given equal displacement and chain

shop the dealer , who can provide the service and not be a jerk
I drove past the Stihl Dealer by 1/2 mile to get to the Johnsered dealer not because the Stihl dealer is a bad place they are very fendly but htye are a hardware store nice young guy there to help but he doesn't know much more than how to get the saw ready from box to sell and when I asked for anything more than a bar , chain or oil they had to always look it up in the catalog and order it they also don't carry much for chain options , the Johnsered dealer has a much better selection of parts in stock and he works on all the saws . if I had a Stihl elite dealer half mile down the road that might change it would make the decition harder any way the Jred dealer is a very nice guy who takes care of all my small engine parts needs.

so shop the dealer , ask for common parts for the saw your looking at like air filter , fuel line , bar nuts , see what they carry for chain then decide

Echo
Efco
Dolmar
Husky
Jonsered
Stihl

see what dealer you like
see what saw feels good in your hands
compare features 2 saws being almost equal one may have a feature like an easier to change chain , or compression release or price may set it apart they will all serve a 2-4 cord a year cutter fine for many years

OH goody we get to spend YOUR money. I love these spend others money threads and see most like to go so called top shelf.

I'll be easy on your pocket book and say ECHO CS509 timber wolf $400.00 plus tax for your area. 59cc saw, 5 year home owners warranty.

Great reviews also.

:D Al

If you have a Dolmar dealer near, the 510 is hard to beat for the price.

Mine has them clearanced for $359 with an 18" bar and .325 chain.

Thanks for all the tips.

Unfortunately, I have to steer clear of my Stihl dealer for another week or so. I just took my recently-purchased Stihl leafblower back in complaining that I couldn't keep it running. The owner took it into the back and brought it back to me in less than five minutes with the kindly advice that if I put gas in it, it will indeed run. Sheesh! My walk of shame to the door seemed like a thousand miles. I think in a few weeks the laughter will die down enough that I can show my face again and be treated as a "respectable" customer (lmao).

My only local Jonsered dealer that I know of is a big box store, but at least I can check out what they've got. I'd never get service there in a million years, and I wouldn't want it from them either.

I do appreciate you guys helping to narrow the field a bit for me.

Thanks for all the tips.

Unfortunately, I have to steer clear of my Stihl dealer for another week or so. I just took my recently-purchased Stihl leafblower back in complaining that I couldn't keep it running. The owner took it into the back and brought it back to me in less than five minutes with the kindly advice that if I put gas in it, it will indeed run. Sheesh! My walk of shame to the door seemed like a thousand miles. I think in a few weeks the laughter will die down enough that I can show my face again and be treated as a "respectable" customer (lmao).

My only local Jonsered dealer that I know of is a big box store, but at least I can check out what they've got. I'd never get service there in a million years, and I wouldn't want it from them either.

Don't feel like the Lome Ranger, I did the same with a Stihl 026 one time. It's a long walk from the service counter to the door.

x2 on the timberwolf.
i really like my echo's. they have served me well for less money, than most other brands will cost you. excellent durability, light weight, cut fast. what more could you ask for?

Thanks for all the tips.

We were an Efco dealer for a while (back when Scotsco was a distributor).

Decent saws for the pruce, but parts are near impossible to get.

I didn't realize Jonsereds was still around. They were real big in the 80s-early 90s along with McCulloch in the area I grew up in.

Around here its mostly either Stihl or Husqvarna. 90% of the Husky's are home jobber junk from Lowes. Get the oddball Riyobi, Poulan, McCulloch, Homelite, etc

We were an Efco dealer for a while (back when Scotsco was a distributor).

Decent saws for the pruce, but parts are near impossible to get.

I didn't realize Jonsereds was still around. They were real big in the 80s-early 90s along with McCulloch in the area I grew up in.

Around here its mostly either Stihl or Husqvarna. 90% of the Husky's are home jobber junk from Lowes. Get the oddball Riyobi, Poulan, McCulloch, Homelite, etc

Jonsered saws are Husqvarnas with red plastic, a different handlebar angle, and different numbers. At least the pro saws are. Maybe they make their own models somewhere in the lineup.

One cool thing about the Jonsered right now is that the 2260 is the same as the Husky 560xp, which we can't buy in the states. It's the same saw as the 562xp, but with a small mount bar. A little lighter too.

My brother is running a 351 I gave him 5-6 years ago, 1999 model and still goin strong. Should have a lot of life left in yours.

351 was replace by the 353, then the 545. Metal case, pro quality saws. I'd get a 545 if needed.

Back