Recommend me a new bench vise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must resist the urge to buy a Wilton vise. Must resist the urge to buy a Wilton vise. Must resist the urge to buy a Wilton vise. Must resist the urge to buy a Wilton vise. Must resist the urge to buy a Wilton vise.

My Craftsman vise is just fine. My Craftsman vise is just fine. My Craftsman vise is just fine. My Craftsman vise is just fine. My Craftsman vise is just fine. My Craftsman vise is just fine.

:crazy:

Rather then spend a couple hundred dollars for another vise, I decided to take the easy (cheap) way out.

I ordered these for my Craftsman vise:
s-l400.jpg

The pressure is now off and I feel so much better. :yes:

Looks good, the marks just add a bit of character!
Did you have to modify or shim anything to get the jaws to line up? What did you use to clean up the replaceable faces?

Looks good!

But the vise in all of the 'after' photos looks smaller. Must have been a really thick coat of paint!

Bummer that you are selling it- a smaller, high quality vise can be a nice tool to have.

Philbert

Just noticed that my cheap 20 year old Sears bench vise has a crack in the base, and will no longer tighten sufficiently. I'd like to upgrade to something reasonably nice, but cost is definitely a factor.

I'm posting here in the chainsaw forum since about 90% of the use will be holding a saw while I sharpen. But it will be my only serious vise, and thus also used for sharpening mower blades, and misc. metal bending, whacking, grinding and filing. I'm not a machinist or serious mechanic, but I don't want something crappy that's only suited to light duty work. Thus I'll probably stay away from Harbor Freight type stuff. But nothing boutique, either, and don't want to take the time to track down craigslist or other used options.

At the very upper end of my budget, the Yost 750 DI has caught my eye with the apparently high quality ductile iron and being able to rotate the pipe clamp to the top. The fact that it's relatively tall seems like a plus for sharpening saw chain, too.

I gotta stay under $200, max., and it'd be great to spend a lot less and still get something that will hold up. Any suggestions?

I have two harbor freight vices. I don't mind harbor freight metal if you are willing to strip the paint and paint them with a high quality paint as soon as you remove it from the box. I did the same for my press. Metal is metal. It's the harbor freight paint jobs that are absolutely pathetic. I sand blast mine on day one, hit it with acetone and don't even care about the warranty.
I paint anything that comes from there with rustoleum. If not, it'll start rusting in a week.

Back