Recommend me a small saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point, not really sure what size wood he’s cutting, I just know that the 170 is a great value and dead on reliable. :cool: My best firewood saw is the Husky 350 with a 346 top end , but I assume he’s looking for a new machine.
The last time I bought a new saw was 10 years ago when G.W. Bush offered a stimulus check. A Stihl MS 361 then joined my arsenal. Since then I've bought used saws and all have either been repaired or have run well right out of the box. Usually, I save about half the value of a new one.

BTW, another good used saw that might fit the bill is the Stihl 028 Super WoodBoss. I have a pair of those also and have no idea why Stihl ever discontinued them:
Saw Vise03.jpg

Given the OP is in Aus your looking at;

$1500 ms 261 Stihl
$1350 ms 241 Stihl
$800 makita 4300 (made in Germany to a high standard). Sold at Bunnings
$1500 550xp Husky : I bought a new one from ebay.com. (Not .com.au) for exactly half that shipped to my door.

The Stihl’s are probably the best for Aussie conditions due to the air filtration but very expensive with no online option.
So makita or online husky is my recommendation.

Spend the 6 bills and get the Stihl ms241 you will be glad you did should last a long time the way you will use it
My advice don't just have the rosie glasses for the big 2 there are other brands that will give all the same quality's for possibly/probably less $'s

In that case, I would say makita it is.
In Germany, the price difference isn't that big. Quality and power/weight they are al three about the same.
One note is that in that list, the 550xp is a different beast. It should be compared with the 543xp. If that is also 800 aussi money, I would flip a coin.

I am well aware of that. I guess he was adding in a whale of a sales tax for the 241 in order to get to six bills. ;)

Maybe he was thinking of the 261.
When I bought my 241, retail was $569 for the 241 and $609 for the 261. After tax the 241 is over 6. Shortly after that they started running specials on 261 at $569 as well.

What's the aussie version of the WildThang? I know you guys have some brands that are not sold in the US.

When I bought my 241, retail was $569 for the 241 and $609 for the 261. After tax the 241 is over 6. Shortly after that they started running specials on 261 at $569 as well.
Boy, they sure want an arm and a leg for the M-Tronic technology. Considering that I have less money than that in both of my 026 PROs put together, you have to wonder. I suppose it's the same as buying a new car vs. a used one that's been down the road a few miles.

Back