Red Power!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jadwiga is just a Super M, second crop is so poor that father is running it on the mower conditioner with no live power because I got 80 gallons of rot gut gas donated to me from the boat people. Big guys keep running to the county office, I keep recycling.

I'm guessing, unless they where trying to be diffacult and switched sides on the tabs, the 7.6 Navistar has the same rod bearings as my old 806. STD/STD and she looks like hell, shifts nice after I spend several evening with a tool and die maker putting a stitch in things.

actually the guys that are driving these are Team Mennonites. they use the steel wheels cause the church elders didn't want the kids taking them out for joy rides to town.:msp_w00t: they still use horse n buggies.

I wonder how the traction is steel v. rubber?

Anyway, Steve's pretty much got it right -- with the Amish and Old Order Mennonites they don't reject technology, they just evaluate it differently from most of us.

But the basic test is the same: Does it tend to pull families and communities together, or allow them to spread apart?

They have to balance that with actually making a living, which is where compromises often come in. While the Amish almost universally prohibit tractors in the field, many if not most allow them as power units in the farmyard.

The OMMs are more liberal in their acceptance of technology and figure its OK to use tractors for field work as long as you use steel wheels because it forces you to still keep all your fields together -- you can't rent fields a few miles down the road away from your home, family, and neighbors whereas if you had rubber tires you'd be tempted to drive to them. Plus the teens aren't tempted to use them to go to town, so double win.

The Amish tend to figure if you don't allow mains electricity in the home, you don't have to worry about things like radio or TV to begin with, and the lack of electric lights helps encourage the family to all gather in the living room around the propane lamp instead of spreading out to their own rooms after supper to listen to a radio or even just read alone.

How they approach technology rejects the individualism (do whatever feels good to you) that predominates today's Western societies, and instead emphasizes both conforming too and relying upon their social groups and what is best for the group is what is most important for individuals to do.

Last edited:
Boyscouts used to get good billing, so a local camp got an I9 (W9) from North Chicago Navy base. Father got it on a bid, could pull 4 14 on land, big hoss, Popeye. 806 makes you wonder where to mount a Woods deck under the long gone 9, now the 806 is a toy.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SdhAfMor9BM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boyscouts used to get good billing, so a local camp got an I9 (W9) from North Chicago Navy base. Father got it on a bid, could pull 4 14 on land, big hoss, Popeye. 806 makes you wonder where to mount a Woods deck under the long gone 9, now the 806 is a toy.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SdhAfMor9BM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I saw an I9 pulling a sled at a tractor show. That old beast had some serious grunt.

I was trying to get it under control, but since I had all the local Binders fixed up so well I took on a beat 4010 green thing with no hydraulics. Really? take the front axle off to get the hydraulic pump out. Like getting tonsils removed thru door #2. Lines, Holy Christ lines.....pipes everywhere.

Put the little pump back in the front of that 3010/20 gas. Don't try to upgrade it, the standby pressure will haunt you.:msp_ohmy:

"I got that 986 when I just got out of Nam

"I got that 986 when I just got out of Nam"
Really, with the PFC closed center hydraulic punp?
Really it was just an adjustment, this one is on me.

"

It is awesome that IH engineers could pull that 706/806 design so far forward, big guy 1486, last 3688. Man did they milk that design. It held up in the 4 speed anteaters, kinda. Till you sodbusters thaught you had a Stieger.

rather have this and it burns wood/coal 120hp steam traction engine pulling a 20 bottom in hard red clay.

Massey Ferguson - the "other" red. 1973 180 to be exact.

20140405_183635.jpg

504 Loctite sealant on a C-200 oil filter base, Awesome. Like glass. No gasket, cause it leaked.
Impress yourself, clamp 2 pieces of angle iron with 504 and it is awesome.
On a 361 or 407 wrap the Oring grooves with Teflon tape and push like hell.

Got a 1256 Deere Slayer in, runs a PM 165 Artsway mixer for his hogs. Tried to help a neighbor, slid on the ice and broke the 540. No hi torque.
Yes sir we are making money out here while you complain about inner city obesity. 1256 is over 40 years old.

Latest posts

Back