Remedy for poisen ivy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedodge

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Besides not getting it I mean...Was clearing under brush and dead wood..Got an arm full and wanted to know what other people use to heal it especially when you have to work and sweat...Thanks in advance..:blob2:

Rubbing alcohol helps take away the itch. Bleach helps dry it out. It may sound crazy and sting like hell on patches that are open from scratching but it works better than anything you can buy at the pharmacy.

Besides not getting it I mean...Was clearing under brush and dead wood..Got an arm full and wanted to know what other people use to heal it especially when you have to work and sweat...Thanks in advance..:blob2:

I grew up in the swamps of Florida. Get yourself immune by dealing with it. I used to rub it on me to get out of school,, shucks, bet I could eat it and be good to go.
Jeff :D

Dish soap works when first exposed. Once it's set in, not much works any better than time. You can put some anti itch cream on it for temp relief. Of you have open sores, maybe the above mentioned methods may be of benefit, but I just let it run its course. If you have it bad, you can get a script for pregnasone.

I've had some good results with baking soda and water, and I recently had less than effective results with it too. Musta been the height of the summer here and the poison ivy was too powerful. I didn't even think to use my Urine on it. Prolly do the trick.

I've never been bothered by it and typically crawl through and over it without even an itch. But this past summer I was agressively pulling a patch from around the summer cottage and broke out in a small rash. Took me a couple of days to even realize that it was because of the poison ivy - thought it was spider bites at first. For me the remedy was simply time and some hydrocortisone.

Technu works for poison ivy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't pee on it! I get poison ivy weekly........dish soap (dawn is best) works fairly well but the best is "technu extreme" it even works the day after .....not quite as well however. you got to use something before the rash shows up or your kind of screwed. but technu will harden the rash and dry it up in a couple of days even if its visible already.

Hope that helps.

Jim

Thanks everyone..Not sure about the pee but some good suggestions..Mine is full blown rash but luckily only my right arm..Didn't relize till too late. But haven't had it in years so I'll thank my blessings...

My doctor prescribed MethyIPREDNISolone Tables 4mg and this is the BEST thing in the world. ( this is for when you get a bad case of it ) Stat's to clear up the next day. Price was only $16.00 with out insurance. You need a prescription to get it so after seeing my doctor for the first time all i have to do is call him and he will call some in for me. I also have some on hand so if i get it on the weekend i am good.

Don't pee on it! I get poison ivy weekly........dish soap (dawn is best) works fairly well but the best is "technu extreme" it even works the day after .....not quite as well however. you got to use something before the rash shows up or your kind of screwed. but technu will harden the rash and dry it up in a couple of days even if its visible already.

Hope that helps.

Jim

X2, have a massive bottle of the stuff for the guys, I don't get poison ivy, it gets me.

Your gonna laugh but this will get rid of poison ivy in a day or less. If you know someone that has a female goat. Have them tie the goat in a poison patch and the goat will eat the poison. Milk the goat and drink it.

there is a wild plant up here that is used for this, and commonly grows in the same conditions as poison ivy. we call it touch-me-not for the explosive seeds it grows. the flowers are orange cone shaped and the leaves look semi heat shaped . usually a bush only 3 ft high. so you take the stalks and leaves in your hand and crush it up, now rub that paste on the affected area. gone within hours.

Well the rash is going away and it took just three days and some Calagel which is made by the same company that makes Tecnu. This was an interesting discussion though..Got to find out what jewelweed is for the next time..I know there will be a next time.:msp_thumbup:

Rhus Tox.

Search online, buy some.

It is nothing more than sugar pills dosed with tiny amounts of the irritant that causes the rashes. You eat it, nothing bad happens to your throat, mouth. or stomach. Do this every day, year in year out, until you are immune to the stuff.

It won't help much if you have a rash now, but start taking it now to prevent or reduce future rashes.

Not all areas have jewelweed but if you are lucky enough to have it around it works great on poison ivy and on minor burns. It grew around the creek beds and ditches on the side of the roads in NJ.

Back