Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day-Yum Chris, I could have sent you one for stamp money.

Them Wico and Phelon coils are on a ton of Homies, Pioneers, Remingtons, Lombards and Ropers. Sometimes you have to work around the connectors.

Shoot me a P.M. next time on Remy stuff.

Day-Yum Chris, I could have sent you one for stamp money.

Them Wico and Phelon coils are on a ton of Homies, Pioneers, Remingtons, Lombards and Ropers. Sometimes you have to work around the connectors.

Shoot me a P.M. next time on Remy stuff.

:cry:
Well, $h!+, I feel like a dumbazz.

I saw the Remington part #, checked it on a SL-11A IPL, & thought that I'd hit paydirt.

The bad news is on many Remington saws the paint looks like hell.

The good news is you can get a perfectly sound saw cheap because the paint looks like hell.

I can't speak for all Remington saws, my experience so far:
MW/Remington SL-4--Paint seems thin, flakes like crazy.
Remington SL-11A--Paint seems thick, peels easily as though it wasn't properly cured.

Carl, that saw is in great cosmetic condition :clap:. I can understand why you want to protect the paint job.

----------------------------------------------------------

I've been curious about the new Remington gas saws, even though my research shows they're MTD products (MIC, maybe some are MIM). The used ones on feePay tend to bring decent money, but I still keep my eyes open for sleepers. I logged-in while this one had 20 minutes left in the auction, but I managed to fight off CAD :cool:.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handyman-Remington-18-inch-Gas-ChainSaw-RM5118R-/291069820104?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=S6eNwhO74mXbxjH3VRBTSUey8So%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Anyone here had any experience with the MTD Remington gas saws?

What puts me off is the resemblence to the 'end of the line' McCullochs. Que in on the signature Mac. carb. box lid.

Box store Remington.jpg
If one fell on my doorstep I'd tinker on it but until then................................................

They are sold at our local Menards so it is only a matter of time.

Online I've seen a few new Remington 51cc models listed for prices very close to a new Poulan Pro PP5020AV, 50cc. If I had to buy new, I'd choose the 5020. I'd tinker with a used Remi but only for the right price, i.e. diert cheap. When I see the new Remis I start thinking Earthquake, Yard Dog, etc.

What puts me off is the resemblence to the 'end of the line' McCullochs. Que in on the signature Mac. carb. box lid.

View attachment 332462
If one fell on my doorstep I'd tinker on it but until then................................................

They are sold at our local Menards so it is only a matter of time.

Does anyone know if a 770 clutch drum will fit the Pro 88?
I don't know but the part numbers are different.
770 sprocket drum A9-437
Pro 88 sprocket drum Y63-592, Before and up to serial number FE 5021.
Pro 88 sprocket drum A15-437 ,After serial number FE 5021

Does anyone know if a 770 clutch drum will fit the Pro 88?

Which one do you have?

Clutch drum way larger on GL-7 than a Super 75A if that's an indication. Don't have a 770.

Caution: Clutch drum on GL-7 is held on with a left hand 1/4"-28 hex head cap screw. Your impact wrench can really mess that up.

Which one do you have?

Clutch drum way larger on Pro-88 than a Super 75A if that's an indication. Don't have a 770.

Caution: Clutch drum on Pro-88 or GL-7 is held on with a left hand 1/4"-28 hex head cap screw. Your impact wrench can really mess that up.
Thanks.
I have the Pro88. Looks like the spur teeth are extremely worn. I had a lead on a 770 sprocket and wondered if it might fit. I'll be tearing into the Pro 88 for a restoration in the near future.

Thanks.
I have the Pro88. Looks like the spur teeth are extremely worn. I had a lead on a 770 sprocket and wondered if it might fit. I'll be tearing into the Pro 88 for a restoration in the near future.

Post a picture of the Pro 88 spur/drum. I'll have to look at mine to refresh my memory which one had the large drum, the Pro 88 or the GL-7.

I have gathered a small collection of Bantam type spur/drums and rim drive/drums. The last one collected is a NOS 7/16" spur/drum from a grab bag evilbay auction an A2-408.

Other bantam types: A9-437, A9-408 and the rim drive kit Oregon 10619.

The most important thing to check on a Pro 88 or any of the Logmaster types is the condition of the Bendix-Scintilla coil. The plastic insulation on them goes to flaking off and moisture corroads the plug wire connection.

I did a post onn replaceing the coil with a Wico from an SL-9 type but I think it was lost in the 'linkbucks' meltdown.

Just looked at 'Moby ****' my Pro-88.

The GL-7 I had, the clutch drum was held on with the 1/4" cap screw.

My Pro-88, the clutch drum looks very much like the Bantam style.

From the Pro-88 IPL: Sprocket/drum is A15-437 after S.N. FE5021. Y62592 up to S.N. FE5021.

I hope your builder's tag is still on there just above the 'muffler'.

Thanks for the input! Yep, builders tag is still there as is the complete muffler. I'm aware of the coil issue - same problem with my Malls. I repaired them with silicone and electrical tape. I'll probably get into this thing over the weekend but will try to get a photo of the drum tonight.

Latest posts

Back