Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buzz: I have an extra Oregon 10619 rim drive/drum. But, you will need the bronze bushing that goes with it or have one made.
I wound up adapting a Homelite 1050 spur sprocket and clutch. The clutch has the same size threads as the 88 I made a bushing to seal against the crank seal, another to fit the drum bearing to the shaft and a spacer to put the clutch at the correct depth. Now I can finish teardown and start cleaning.

I finally got time to get the engine apart on this Pro88. Darned if the P&C aren't almost identical to the Mall 2MG. Only difference is the addition of two ports to the transfers and two holes in the piston. Anyone know where to get the two large O rings that seal the sides of the crankcase? I shoulda bought some extras when I did the 2MG.

hey guys im working on a remington silver logmaster and the coil is shot. I need some ideas on a replacement coil

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the thread I did a series on replacing the Scintilla-Bendix coil with one off a SL-9 type or use one from a Homie XL-101 type. They are a dab slimmer and longer thatn the usual Wico or Phelon coil normally encountered.

Basicly what you do is strip the old coil off the core bar and file the rivet heads down enuff on one end to press the new coil on. 3/8" square hole in center of coil. Splice on some wire to reach the points connection.

I'm shure the pictures are gone because of the linkbucks mess. And, I accidently deleted my Remington picture folder at one time.

thanks for the reply, i really appreciate the help. i really want to get this saw going, if i don't my wife will never let me here the end of it, as she warned me about getting a saw that old that may not run. fixing the coil does not sound to hard if i can get my hands on a coil that will work, boy those pics sure would have come in handy.

its toast, almost all the outer epoxy is cracked and missing and the spark plug wire has come off. its odd because everything else about the saw really is in super condition, the points look to me like they have only had a few hours of fire on them if that. the piston and cylinder are in exceptional condition, and the condenser looks brand new and tests ok

thanks, ill give it a go, but i would still like to get another coil on the way just in case. would you happen to know the part #'s of any coils that will work, it would make my search for one a little easier.

well guys i found that homelite coil on ebay and got it installed. after getting it together i had a real good spark and got the saw to pop a few times but then nothing. i checked the spark one more time and it was gone. after cleaning and adjusting the points on more time i had a spark, but it was weak. if i spin the saw with a cordless on the flywheel i can get a weak spark at times. seems to be there one second then gone the next. im thinking condenser now. also wanted to make sure i got the coil hooked up right, the short black wire is the one to the condenser, and the metal tab on the coil is the ground???

well guys i found that homelite coil on ebay and got it installed. after getting it together i had a real good spark and got the saw to pop a few times but then nothing. i checked the spark one more time and it was gone. after cleaning and adjusting the points on more time i had a spark, but it was weak. if i spin the saw with a cordless on the flywheel i can get a weak spark at times. seems to be there one second then gone the next. im thinking condenser now. also wanted to make sure i got the coil hooked up right, the short black wire is the one to the condenser, and the metal tab on the coil is the ground???

Should be. Post a picture. If I remember right I had to add a little wire to the existing pigtail to reach the points.
Points contacts clean and free of oil?

yes they are very clean and dry, they look almost new to me, i too had to add a piece of wire to that pigtail. i think i did it right lol. not sure what to set the point gap at, any idea on that??

Camera Pictures 193.jpg Camera Pictures 192.jpg
Picked up a Mall model 12A yesterday off of Craigslist. Missing the carb float bowl and muffler plus it's locked up. Still should be able to bring back from the dead though. I've seen worse. Only bad thing about it is the paint job.

I finally got time to get the engine apart on this Pro88. Darned if the P&C aren't almost identical to the Mall 2MG. Only difference is the addition of two ports to the transfers and two holes in the piston. Anyone know where to get the two large O rings that seal the sides of the crankcase? I shoulda bought some extras when I did the 2MG.

Looking for something else today and found two large diameter 'O' rings left over from my Pro 88. Shoot me a P.M. if you still need one or two.

I really, really need to clean off the workbench as that junk has been there two years..................................

Latest posts

Back