Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really nice job there bud.

Ran my Pro 88 for a 'kid' I've known since he was a five year old. Forty nine now. Stops by once a week and we play saws.
Thanks... You know it's funny, I could probably spend another thirty hours on this thing and I'd still see flaws. Next time I spend a little more time on paint prep, probably more acetone and less sandpaper. Also, I like the paint that I used but I probably could've done a few more coats.
It still needs an oil check valve, and I should probably replace the spark plug boot so I don't shock the hell out of myself again but overall I'm happy with it as is. I'll take it out to our local frontier days here in la pine and show it off next year.

Thanks... You know it's funny, I could probably spend another thirty hours on this thing and I'd still see flaws. Next time I spend a little more time on paint prep, probably more acetone and less sandpaper. Also, I like the paint that I used but I probably could've done a few more coats.
It still needs an oil check valve, and I should probably replace the spark plug boot so I don't shock the hell out of myself again but overall I'm happy with it as is. I'll take it out to our local frontier days here in la pine and show it off next year.

If the paint starts peeling and/or flaking, the saw will look more like an authentic Remington (well, from the DuPont era).

--------------------------------

This actually ties into a question I've been meaning to ask--How well does the paint on the saws from the Mall/Remington transition period hold up? It's hard for me to tell just looking at photos, the paint loss could normal wear from heavy use.

Pops on a prime.[emoji12]

PL-55. No comp release.

And, runs. Smokes like hell.

I did remember to crack open the bar oil cap to relieve tank pressure when I shut it down. Keeps it from filling the crankcase while it sits.
View attachment 457242

Glad to hear it's in good mechanical condition!

Also hope that it has a good recoil mechanism. The Craftsman 4.5/Homelite 450 (82cc IIRC, no comp release) I had would try to dislocate my shoulder. Apparently HL used too small/short pull of a recoil.

EDIT--We shouldn't be discussing re-badged saws on a public forum, gotta keep the prices low :envy:.

I'm always looking for Remington parts. need top end off a SL-10A . Need a bar for a super 754 as well

The downside to Remington saws is the dwindling wasn't-very-large-to-begin-with supply of parts. Judging from my experiences, and what I've read here, buying parts saws rather waiting for individual parts is the norm.

Are you looking for a compatible bar, or a Remington stamped bar? Don't want to get your hopes up, I don't have one, I'm just being nosy.

The downside to Remington saws is the dwindling wasn't-very-large-to-begin-with supply of parts. Judging from my experiences, and what I've read here, buying parts saws rather waiting for individual parts is the norm.

Are you looking for a compatible bar, or a Remington stamped bar? Don't want to get your hopes up, I don't have one, I'm just being nosy.
I'm looking for a compatible bar 24" or so .

Homelite bars are same pattern as Remington generally.

Remy collectors do tend to hoard OEM roller nose bars. Even the 15".[emoji48]
something used . This is gonna be a resale . I just want something that works on the saw . I didn't know that homelite was the same bar pattern

something used .
This is gonna be a resale .
I just want something that works on the saw . I didn't know that homelite was the same bar pattern

Matt, I don't mean to sound too negative here and I don't know your situation, but if you're looking to re-sale saws either as a business, or just to help support a chainsaw hobby, Remington saws aren't the best choice. Remington-specific parts aren't easy to find, and the pool of buyers is relatively small.

Look at the number of posts in the Sticky threads for Mall/Remington, and those for Homelite, Poulan, & McCulloch.

And to beat a dead horse :yes:: Because of the DuPont era paint used on Remington saws, they tend to BTH even if they're low hour and well looked after.

That image made me think of something.

Bar manufacturers make bars with replaceable tips.

I wonder if any of them experimented with replaceable/swap-able bar mounts?

Matt, I don't mean to sound too negative here and I don't know your situation, but if you're looking to re-sale saws either as a business, or just to help support a chainsaw hobby, Remington saws aren't the best choice. Remington-specific parts aren't easy to find, and the pool of buyers is relatively small.

Look at the number of posts in the Sticky threads for Mall/Remington, and those for Homelite, Poulan, & McCulloch.

And to beat a dead horse :yes:: Because of the DuPont era paint used on Remington saws, they tend to BTH even if they're low hour and well looked after.

On the flip side , I am more partial to Homelite and mccoulgh.

Back