Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually all three chains are .63 as are the bars of course. I'm just trying to find a bar and chain combo that will match for the Remmie. It's not a saw that will ever get much use. Thanks for the input.

Lee
Correction - a least 2 of the bars are marked 58 so I'm guessing the chains are too. Although a quarter does go into the bar groove. The bars are old but in good shape don't even need dressing. Maybe I used a thin quarter?

Very, very nice Wards 82cc/Remington SL-55 on evilbay fellow campers.

You don't see them this big often at all!

I made a tire-kicking bid to test the reserve, and immediately received a You've Been Outbid Notice. I took a good look at the photos. The muffler cover threw me a bit, based on what I see on Acres' site, was hoping it might be a mislabelled SL-7A.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...ce10d2b74d739b0588256d35001fb96b?OpenDocument

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...53b54ebc17a8aa3c88256d350020bc18?OpenDocument

Edit--For a Remington, the saw on eBay still has a lot paint left. I still don't understand why DuPont, a company known for really good paint, couldn't get it right on their chainsaws. Carl, are there any DuPont Remington models with paint that actually holds up well?

Hi guys,

First post here so hello firstly.

Secondly my dad has quite a large collection of saws and recently took owner ship of this 1961 (?) Remington Bantam. Everything seems to be there and it runs like a dream. The serial number is 487.

Looking for some information, firstly is it actually a 61 model? And what's the value of something like this?

Attachments

• IMG_20150913_120242.jpg
    IMG_20150913_120242.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20150913_120303.jpg
    IMG_20150913_120303.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20150913_120249.jpg
    IMG_20150913_120249.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20150913_120313.jpg
    IMG_20150913_120313.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 14
Dang!

A couple of guys must really want that MW/Remington. Maybe my Dayton-badged Poulan 245SA would bring that kind of $$ :envy:?

I wonder if the seller even knows what the saw really is? If yes, they probably would've listed it as a Remington as well.

Hi guys,

First post here so hello firstly.

Secondly my dad has quite a large collection of saws and recently took owner ship of this 1961 (?) Remington Bantam. Everything seems to be there and it runs like a dream. The serial number is 487.

Looking for some information, firstly is it actually a 61 model? And what's the value of something like this?

I have no idea, but that Bantam is really good cosmetic condition for its age.

Dang!

A couple of guys must really want that MW/Remington. Maybe my Dayton-badged Poulan 245SA would bring that kind of $$ :envy:?

I wonder if the seller even knows what the saw really is? If yes, they probably would've listed it as a Remington as well.

I suppose the Wards 5.0/82cc is more scarce than a John Deere 23.

That one is the first I've seen on Evilbay. There has been three 23s in the past four years.

I suppose the Wards 5.0/82cc is more scarce than a John Deere 23.

That one is the first I've seen on Evilbay. There has been three 23s in the past four years.

Recently I've seen more MW & Remington saws than usual. Unfortunately a few of the larger ones have been carcasses.

I'm holding out for a Super 990, or a maybe Skil Saw 1690. Hopefully at least two of each :laughing:.

I hope I'm on topic here... I was moving all the stuff from my storage when in the very back of the pile I pulled out an old Remington SL-5 saw I acquired 30 years or so ago. I had forgotten I had it.

It has a broken leg on the starter rope return housing and one side of the screen is smashed in. The rope is still attached inside but is stuck in the full out position and is wrapped and tied around the handle bar... so giving it a pull will require some fiddling.

My question is this... is there a service manual available for this saw? I'd like to dig into it and get it running and any help you all can lend would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I'll get some pics together as well.

JT

Here are some pictures of the old Remington... It was part of a bulk sale of saws and parts I bought 32 years ago when a local saw and parts dealer went TU after Denver instituted air quality monitoring and burn bans.

This saw has been sitting along with a few other things all this time. These shots were taken today and are as I found it.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

You can see the broken leg in this shot. The screen is pushed in 3/4" at that point as well not seen
being blocked by the housing.

standard.jpg

Sorry for the poor resolution on this shot of the bar... It says:
" REMINGTON ARMS COMPANY INC..
48777 ---------- CF
USE 49 INCH CHAIN"

standard.jpg

As you can see the tip was wanting for lube, it's smoked pretty bad. It is stamped on both sides with:
"Remington
Patent Number
U.S. 2,888,964
48520 ASSY"

standard.jpg

From the rear...

standard.jpg

...and another shot of the broken leg showing the pushed in screen.

JT

Nice old Remington, JTCoyote. I'm guessing that's one of the Mall-to-Remington transition saws (Mall design, Remington name). I wish that I knew of a source for parts for the early Remington models, but I don't.

Evilbay is about the only source for Remington/Mall parts.

The right side 'feet' were broken on this SL-5R gear drive.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445259006.536722.jpg
I snagged a right side crankcase cover from a direct drive off eBay.
A friend drilled and reamed it for the necessary locator pins.

The first order of business on any of the Logmaster types is to evaluate the Bendix Scintilla magneto. Most every one has the coil gone to pot.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445259315.600371.jpg
The original can be replaced with a Wico coil from a Homelite XL-101 type.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445259418.719642.jpg
It takes some searching and tinkering to change it over.

Evilbay is about the only source for Remington/Mall parts.

Yeah, a parts saw from eBay is probably the best bet for M/R. I do see some sellers who part out saws, but then it's a matter of lucking into the correct part, and sometimes the cost of the part + shipping is close to the same for a parts saw. Diligent searches and luck.

Latest posts

Back