Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning Carl,

I looked at the greek on the bay. Looks like he sells caber rings. I'm sure I read that Jerry had got rings from him and was happy with the quality. I'll get the thickness measured. Does dept come into play? I know you need dia + thickness, but not depth(or is width a better word?)

Depth in groove is usually not a problem.

Buy plain ends and Dremmel the notch to clear locator pin (1/16" dia.).

I've gotten a couple dozen sets from him by now.

Edit: Re-thinking the Dremmel thing.
It may be too fast and aggresive and risk breakage.

Better to use a hand operated 1/16" dia. swiss pattern file.

Last edited:
Drew: Be careful of the ring land. You do not want a nick or scratch on him.

What do you mean about the ring "land"?

Carl and I have been talking in PM's about a source for new rings for a 754. If anyone has any ideas please post up. I need rings that are 52.3mm x 1.6mm (2.06 x .063"). I have tried the "Greek", but anything over 52mm dia, the rings are min 0.079" thick.
I have a 754 all tore down for restoration. It's getting new bearings and seals, paint...the works. Just stuggling finding a source for new rings. I could use the rings in it now. It seemed to have good comp and the rings still have horizontal machine marks on them in places, but with all this effort, I'd like to go new.

What do you mean about the ring "land"?

Carl and I have been talking in PM's about a source for new rings for a 754. If anyone has any ideas please post up. I need rings that are 52.3mm x 1.6mm (2.06 x .063"). I have tried the "Greek", but anything over 52mm dia, the rings are min 0.079" thick.
I have a 754 all tore down for restoration. It's getting new bearings and seals, paint...the works. Just stuggling finding a source for new rings. I could use the rings in it now. It seemed to have good comp and the rings still have horizontal machine marks on them in places, but with all this effort, I'd like to go new.
used rings are acceptable in the Harley mechanics school. ive seen a video explaining what will & wont work, I could explain here, or ask to see pics of yours, if you're at all interested... I know you want new, and I would too, regardless of what hd or anyone else says... but if yer stuck... I don't own the tape or id send it...

Ring land = bottom of ring groove. Side of ring seals under gas pressure against surface.

Push comes to shove and you have to use old rings, swap ring from bottom groove to top. Theory is, bottom ring will have slighly less wear.

My Pioneer RA (Fat Alice) got the above treatment. Pumps 130 psi.

That Remy have two or three rings?

used rings are acceptable in the Harley mechanics school. ive seen a video explaining what will & wont work, I could explain here, or ask to see pics of yours, if you're at all interested... I know you want new, and I would too, regardless of what hd or anyone else says... but if yer stuck... I don't own the tape or id send it...

I think, after some relentless searching, I may have found a supplier. Hastings seems to list a ring that will fit. I'll call them on Monday. If it does work I'll post up the part number here for future reference. I'm sure the old rings would be fine, just want to go new, as it is a major disassemble to change rings on the Bantam series!

Ring land = bottom of ring groove. Side of ring seals under gas pressure against surface.Push comes to shove and you have to use old rings, swap ring from bottom groove to top. Theory is, bottom ring will have slighly less wear.

My Pioneer RA (Fat Alice) got the above treatment. Pumps 130 psi.

That Remy have two or three rings?

"Fat Alice", I love it!
It is a two ring piston. All the groves and lands are in excellent shape. Not even much carbon build up. I do not think this saw was run a lot, or it was recently rebuilt. It was hard to tell with all the layers of paint. Points look next to new. No pitting or burns. Hard to guess the history by examinging the parts.

NOS Rem sl 11/ PL5 Cylinder& piston (1.91") measures 1.905" piston# 64542

NOS Cylinder 43mm 1.69" 46cc SL 16 / Rancher

Used P/C 46cc SL 16 / Rancher 43mm 1.69" bore VGC

NOS Miny mite Cylinder 66768 34.4cc 1.5" bore
NOS Miny mite P/C , cylinder #66768 and matching piston # 67837..34.4cc 1.5"

SL 10 P/C 50.7cc 1.78" 42.2mm bore

Never seen one of these before! Stopped at one pf my picking holes and this was there!
y2a9e3yp.jpg
u6ebe5ar.jpg
rujene6a.jpg
sa2yde9y.jpg
isn't mine yet but I'm working on getting it!

Back