Replace my Stihl 361 with a Husky 346xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just don't see the big difference here. Its only 2 pounds and the 361 has .9 hp more. If you want a new saw that is a different thing, go buy the new saw... I would... Now that I know what CAD is(LOL!!!), I know that I have it pretty bad and I would keep the 361 and still buy the other saw...

I have both the MS 361 and the 346 XP and they are both great saws. I grab the 346 XP more because of the light weight, but I would not consider replacing my MS 361 with it. I have modded both mufflers and to me they are two very different saws in two different classes.

do it, buy the 346, 16 inch bar and keep the chain sharp all the time and take a extra swipe off the rakers with the file and let the chips fly, it will out cut 361 in smaller wood due to the faster chain speed. it certainly wont be whipped by a 361 in larger wood either so dont be to worried. a 346 is a screamer, it likes to scream, dont bog her down and youll always have a silly grin on your face haha, i know i do. no wheres some 14inch pine to play with haha

do it, buy the 346, 16 inch bar and keep the chain sharp all the time and take a extra swipe off the rakers with the file and let the chips fly, it will out cut 361 in smaller wood due to the faster chain speed. it certainly wont be whipped by a 361 in larger wood either so dont be to worried. a 346 is a screamer, it likes to scream, dont bog her down and youll always have a silly grin on your face haha, i know i do. no wheres some 14inch pine to play with haha

Your theory on the chain speed issue is a bit lacking, it isn't that simple!

Think it trough once more, and remember to include all relevant factors.........:greenchainsaw:

I never really understood why those husky guys say "it is a screamer". There is no difference in the RPM's. How do they get screamer thing? LOL!!!

troll

price was my factor in compareing the 270 against the 361 it cost less weighs about the same does the same work. but without the bells and whistles so many 361rs want.

in my opion the 361 is just over rated for what it is.

i used to be fond of saying that the perfect 2 saws to carry to the woods would be a 346 and a 7900. that was based on what i read of the 346 and the fact that i own a MM026 and have run a 5100. now that i own a 346 i know that this is correct. the stock 346 is a close handling equivalent of the 026 (a little heavier, but with a more solid feel) and power equivalent of the 5100. and while the 361 is a very nice handling saw, it is more bulky and not as nimble as the 346. the 346 revs faster and is more "zingy" than a 361. with a 20" bar buried in oak, the 361 might be a little faster. but a MM346 is just so easy in the hands, and if i'm cutting 20" oak, the 7900 is already my choice. now, if you MM the 361, the power argument changes, but the weight and handling factors haven't. and stock, the power difference is .7hp bw the 346 and 361. add a MM non-cat muffler to the 346 and the difference disappears.

I had a play with a 361 to day liked the power to weight have not enjoyed a saw so much since I bought my first 044. My only concern is chain oiling it didn't seem to oil very much stopped once or twice and I had to run it out of the tree to clean it out and oil. This is a problem here with 026s not enought oil to cope with stringy barks wiping the bar clean of oil. I know people who have modified the oil pump to overcome this problem with 026s. Is it a problem with the 361? Just dropping trees and limbing would never be a problem but blocking down a furry brarked trunk?
:chainsaw:

Not sure.

in my opion 18 and 16" is pretty much the same thing. whne your smaller then 16" wood your smaler then 16 when your pas thte 16" tip your probly also past the 18 tip. wood size matters more then bar size

with an 18" bar on the 361 you can easily drop it and have 18" 50cc saw take its place.

Not to be the Devil's advocate But....
I've owned a Stihl MS361 and I do own a fantastic NE346 XP. and contrary to what everyone of late thinks about the magical powers of the 346, it does have it's limitations.

Evan the soft woods you encounter out in Idaho are a LOT different than the Oak the Johnylabguy has in Ohio. For your purposes I'd say sure the 346 will perform about the same in 16 or 18" wood. But for hardwood I say the 346 is BEST in wood 16" and under. For wood over 16" the nod would definitely go to the 361 - no comparison. Sure the 346 will cut it BUT the 361 will really cut it!. Different saws are designed for different purposes and I just don't see the fabulous 346 (and it is incredible) being the answer to all situations.

Al :cheers:

Last edited:
Not to be the Devil's advocate But....
I've owned a Stihl MS361 and I do own a fantastic NE346 XP. and contrary to what everyone of late thinks about the magical powers of the 346, it does have it's limitations.

Evan the soft woods you encounter out in Idaho are a LOT different than the Oak the Johnylabguy has in Ohio. For your purposes I'd say sure the 346 will perform about the same in 16 or 18" wood. But for hardwood I say the 346 is BEST in wood 16" and under. For wood over 16" the nod would definitely go to the 361 - no comparison. Sure the 346 will cut it BUT the 361 will really cut it!. Different saws are designed for different purposes and I just don't see the fabulous 346 (and it is incredible) being the answer to all situations.

If you're in that size wood, you should have the 70-80 cc saw out.

Two words. Throttle response!!!!!!!!!!:clap:

But those two words don't translate to beeing a "Real Screamer"... Maybe snappy... but not a Screamer!!!! Stihl guy:poke:Husky guy LOL!!!!!

Last edited:
Go lighter!!

18" and I love it. I keep either a 20 or 24 on the Dolmar so I don't need any bigger. I just don't think a 16 inch bar will be long enough for bucking when I want to use the 346xp for when the 7900 is wearing me out at the end of a long day. I'm not a big guy and more of a desk jockey than a logger the older I get(as much as I hate to admit it!).

Here's what you can do. Put a 20" on the 361 - sell the 7900 - buy the 346 for the smaller stuff.
You won't get as tired!

Al :clap: :clap: :clap:

No s##t.

A 361 can't come close to a 7900.

Never said it would. . . however it might be a solution. Sounds like the weight of the 7900 with him being a "not a big guy" might be kickin' his butt.
Again, we don't know what size wood he cuts most often.

Last edited:
The 361 felt like a 7900 to me when I handled one in the store. I've never ran one as it doesn't fit into a size I think I might need. It is way to close to 70cc saw weight to only have 60 cc power.

Latest posts

Back