Replace my Stihl 361 with a Husky 346xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright I've ran this by the experts before but I'm going to actually hold a husqvarna 346xp in my hands tomorrow so I need some last minute advice. For me to buy this saw I've got to unload the very good 361.

I've got the spectacular 7900 for all my bucking/felling needs but still use the 361 or a really nice old Jred 630 in between for some bucking and limbing in between.

I'm thinking if I get $425 out of my lightly used 361(less than 20 tanks of gas) I can fill the gaps with the 346xp/old Jred and the mighty 7900. Should I pull the trigger? I've got a gentlemen interested in the 361 at that price but I'm just worried I'm going to be sad at the 346's power drop. I know its smaller but I'm looking for a lighter saw to complement the Jred and Dolmar 7900.

Decisions, Decisions. And NO, keeping the 361 too is not an option unfortunately!
Seems like a good plan too me since you have 2 60cc saws as it is and the 361 will bring more money.

...Final comment: The 361 stands tall today due to a lack of worthy challengers in the 60cc class...
Yes the 361 seems very durable and reliable. And some folks have concerns of durability of the Huskys. But Spike, you've sold a ton of 346xps and 357xps. In your experience, are there any durability issues?

Yes the 361 seems very durable and reliable. And some folks have concerns of durability of the Huskys. But Spike, you've sold a ton of 346xps and 357xps. In your experience, are there any durability issues?

None at all with the 346/2153. I have yet to see one fail myself, but of course there must be some out there because all saws fail. And no matter how good the saw is built, none of them are immune to gas issues. The 346/2153 is just a real sweet packege, and nearly everyone who has one raves about it. It has 3 things going for it, power, handling, and what doesn't get mentioned enough around here: acceleration. Sure it has the power to handle firewood duties, but drop a big tree and go limb it out with a 346, and it's the acceleration that you're going to enjoy. That's the kind of work where you really notice how quick a saw winds up.

I think that your question is in the context of something specific on or in the saw that causes the failure rate to rise, and while I see nothing in that context on the 346/2153, there are some things on the 357/359 to look for. (IMO) The auto-deco on the 357 was not a cool idea, and as we all know, quietly went away. That thing would fail, and if a guy ran it long enough that way, he had himself a toasted saw. Any 357 that comes in the shop get's that thing replaced without even asking the customer. In my experience, I saw more failures on 359's, to the point that I stopped selling them. The cat muffler certainly didn't help, but the problem existed on pre-cat units as well. (I don't have a problem on this forum, or in my store, of calling it the way it is when something isn't quite right. Other saws have issues as well, even if certain people's egos don't allow them to admit it) The plastic boot clamp? Maybe caused a few, but I've seen air leaks on saws, 372's, 7900's and such that have a metal clamp. They can all leak, just like all saws can blow up.

It's really not that things do or don't fail, it's about the rate of failure, and if a cause can be identified and corrected. And even if the rate is unacceptably high, it should not be concluded that all such models will eventually fail. The majority of them will have a normal service life.

I think that the 357 is OK, but I still have a bad feeling about the 359 and you won't find one in my store. (And I know that a lot of you guys here like them. I have a rebuilt one myself with a muffler mod, and I think it's a good saw. But I'm not going to sell the new cat equiped ones) The 357 being priced where it is, doesn't sell anyway. For $75 less, you can get the 372's little brother: the 365Special. :cheers:

Almost doesn't matter as the 357 chassis is going away this summer when the 562XP arrives. How's it gonna sell? Not sure what to think yet, since I haven't seen one. I think it will sell better than the 357, once the 372 finally goes away. Most of the 372 business will migrate to the 576, but some of it will move down to the 562. The 357 was hurt not only by price, but by the fact that there really wasn't that much of a need on the pro side, (in my area anyway), for a saw between the 346 and 372.

How do I end up sitting here writing these long winded essays? :dizzy:

:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

...How do I end up sitting here writing these long winded essays? :dizzy:

:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

You end up writing these essays because your into saws and you don't mind helping people. If I could pass ya a Rolling Rock through the monitor, I would.

And BTW, I advised a friend to purchase a 455 based on your reccommendations.

Good stuff Spike! I'd rep ya but I'm out of bullets! Always good to hear opinions and info from someone who sees and works with a lot of saws. Even ones from the brand you carry.

I've got a lead on an non cat 346xp that I'm hoping to grab on my day off next week. Now that I've cleaned up my 361(Didn't take but a brush off) I don't want to sell it either! I'm hoping to just unload my old stihl 021 to keep my wife and my conscience happy!

Heres some pics of the 361 cleaned up for church:
attachment.php

check out those mean roller dawgs! Grrrr!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Good stuff Spike! I'd rep ya but I'm out of bullets! Always good to hear opinions and info from someone who sees and works with a lot of saws. Even ones from the brand you carry.

I've got a lead on an non cat 346xp that I'm hoping to grab on my day off next week. Now that I've cleaned up my 361(Didn't take but a brush off) I don't want to sell it either! I'm hoping to just unload my old stihl 021 to keep my wife and my conscience happy!

Heres some pics of the 361 cleaned up for church:
attachment.php

check out those mean roller dawgs! Grrrr!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Sounds (and looks) very good - looks like this thread did some good afterall! :cheers:

That last saws I would get rid of is the 346xp and the MS361! :clap::clap:

None at all with the 346/2153. I have yet to see one fail myself, but of course there must be some out there because all saws fail. And no matter how good the saw is built, none of them are immune to gas issues. The 346/2153 is just a real sweet packege, and nearly everyone who has one raves about it. It has 3 things going for it, power, handling, and what doesn't get mentioned enough around here: acceleration. Sure it has the power to handle firewood duties, but drop a big tree and go limb it out with a 346, and it's the acceleration that you're going to enjoy. That's the kind of work where you really notice how quick a saw winds up.

Exactly :agree2:! The handling and accelleration/trigger response is what mainly sets the 346xp apart from the competition. :clap::clap:

That 361 looks like a virgin! My man, you need to increase the diet of wood for that baby, I doubt if that baby is even broken in. It hasn't earned it's keep until you wear the paint off at least one bar.lol That's only on a Stihl bar, you'll find the paint will wear off the bar on a husky by the time you get a cord cut, so you have to go by gallons of mix, the 346xpne, didn't seem like it was broke in until about five gallons of mix had been run through it.
By the looks of that 361 my diagnosis is that you have a very advanced stage of CAD, you've reached at least the 3rd stage, you have the desire to attain saws although you might not even run them that much, just gotta have one. The 4th stage is much worse, when you buy them knowing that you might not even run them, acquiring them just to sit on a shelf, maybe starting them every once in a while just to hear the sound of a two stroke.

Latest posts

Back