Replacement Engine For Older Huskee 22 Ton Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 6.5 horsepower rating on the Predator motor from Harbor Freight under rated. The Predator 6.5 is easily making 7-7.5 horsepower . Harbor Freight and the Chinese are good honest people. They don't falsely inflate the horsepower ratings of their engines like Briggs and Stratton and Tecumseh does/did to rip off the American Consumer.
You ever heard the old phrase "In God We Trust"? Well substitute "China" and "Harbor Freight" for "God".
Buy China with pride! ! ! Quiet.... smooth running.... Fuel efficient.....ball bearings....actual steel internal parts. . . true quality and craftsmanship.

That's the first time I've ever heard anyone praise a China product lol. Picking my engine up today and doing the swap Sunday afternoon. I'll report back.

I have had several Briggs motors and they generally are pretty solid. For the amount that I use this splitter and the cost-benefit analysis, it just does not make sense. Besides, the parts are from China and I believe it is assembled somewhere in the US. Don't hold me to that. That's just what the dude from HF said.

Briggs and Stratton is an absolute and total disgrace of a company. . . they have sold over priced substandard crap engines along with Tecumseh for way too long.
Buy anything from Harbor Freight. . .at least they sell excellent quality engines at reasonable prices...

Briggs parts for sure are $$. If you built a 5hp engine from parts it'd probably cost $2000.

Yes I have to agree that my Briggs served it purpose and served it well. I split and stack 14 cords annually not to mention the other couple of cords I do for the elderly neighbor as a favor. That's a lot of hours for that little residential engine. If I could buy the exact engine again I probably would but since they discontinued it they'll probably lose my business. Not out of spite but out of options.

So here is my last stupid question for today. How do I know if my engine is a vertical or horizontal shaft? Just looking at it I think it's obvious that the shaft is a vertical shaft but I'm not square on the difference. I'll take a few pics in a bit.

That's actually not very good. 14 cords a year, 8 years, that's only maybe 200-250hrs. Should easily get 3-4x that out of a Briggs.

Gxparts.com for all the aftermarket Honda parts you will need. Cheap.

I got the same short life out of the Bs vertical on my huskee too. Same vintage. They just sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's actually not very good. 14 cords a year, 8 years, that's only maybe 200-250hrs. Should easily get 3-4x that out of a Briggs.
briggs is ecstatic if you get 200 hours adding 1 oz of oil every hour(considered "normal" consumption). tecumseh L-heads used on 2-stage snowblowers will spit a rod in the first season. . . lmao

briggs is ecstatic if you get 200 hours adding 1 oz of oil every hour(considered "normal" consumption). tecumseh L-heads used on 2-stage snowblowers will spit a rod in the first season. . . lmao

Nah. We do small engine repairs and generally only see engine issues from neglect or over 1000 hrs. I've seen some Briggs engines on ZTRs with over 3000hrs

Yeah my huskee circa 2000 is still going with the original B/S engine. If I had to guess it has over 3000 hours on it. Basic maintenance running rotella 5w-40 in it.

Once the B/S finally dies it's getting a single cylinder diesel :rock:

The larger vanguard engines are made by another company like Mitsubishi or Daihatsu.
With Briggs rating oil consumption at 1oz per hour min normal consumption it is very easy to run low on oil. Once they run low they are D O N E. . . rod metal transfer to the crankshaft eats away one stroke at a time. . cylinder scoring takes a little more effort, but not much. . . next thing you know it'S all over. . . LOL
"Buy Junk Get Junk" . . .

Yeah my huskee circa 2000 is still going with the original B/S engine. If I had to guess it has over 3000 hours on it. Basic maintenance running rotella 5w-40 in it.
I am sorry, but I have to call Bullspit on 3000 hours on an off the shelf splash lubricated Briggs & Stratton aluminum engine B&S pos engine. They are rated for 100-200 running hours. Many people are doing well if they get 3000 hours out of a commercial Kawasaki full pressure oiling and oil filter with super duty air filtration. . . perhaps could you be off by 2300-2500 hours?
I had an 11hp "cast iron" briggs on my first splitter with an hour meter. It did not make 1000 hours with regular oil changes. . . started smoking like a chimney. . . briggs wanted $200-$300 for rebuild parts. . .lol

The Big Block Briggs are a different motor. Hand built. Better quality there.

And pressure lube, but still, 200ish hrs on any engine isn't good.
I have an 11hp Briggs on my splitter, I don't use it much still getting a processor, but I put well over 400hrs in the first year
The Big Block Briggs are a different motor. Hand built. Better quality there.

Shot at 200 hrs.Are you kidding?I have one on a riding mower thats coming up on 240 hrs.The only time I had to add oil was during the first 25 hr. breakin period.About 2 oz!
As to Tecumseh on snowblowers throwing a rod in the first season--pure B S and that ain't Briggs and Stratton!

I am sorry, but I have to call Bullspit on 3000 hours on an off the shelf splash lubricated Briggs & Stratton aluminum engine B&S pos engine. They are rated for 100-200 running hours. Many people are doing well if they get 3000 hours out of a commercial Kawasaki full pressure oiling and oil filter with super duty air filtration. . . perhaps could you be off by 2300-2500 hours?
I had an 11hp "cast iron" briggs on my first splitter with an hour meter. It did not make 1000 hours with regular oil changes. . . started smoking like a chimney. . . briggs wanted $200-$300 for rebuild parts. . .lol

"If I had to guess" is what I stated. The B/S engine on my splitter that is 16+ years old is still going and uses no oil. Between my own wood and lending it out to friends and family I'd say it does at least 100 cords per year. How long does it take to split a cord? An hour? So 1600 hours? There is no hour meter so we'll never know.

FWIW I worked at a golf course with an ancient triplex mower. Single cylinder (forget the brand) splash lubricated engine. Rolled the hour meter over.....10,000 hours!

"If I had to guess" is what I stated. The B/S engine on my splitter that is 16+ years old is still going and uses no oil. Between my own wood and lending it out to friends and family I'd say it does at least 100 cords per year. How long does it take to split a cord? An hour? So 1600 hours? There is no hour meter so we'll never know.

FWIW I worked at a golf course with an ancient triplex mower. Single cylinder (forget the brand) splash lubricated engine. Rolled the hour meter over.....10,000 hours!
Very possibly a Wisconsin.One tough old engine!Even with poor care they still carried on.The were used on many hay balers and combines ,2 and V4 cylinder engines.The balers really had it rough.With those it was load-unload-load-unload all day and into the night.You had to keep the cooling fan and head/block fins opened up or they'd get hot.They kept running but if shutdown they'd be hard starting until cooled down.

God this isn't going well. I bought two engines today and neither worked from Harbor. The first one I didn't look over close enough and it ended up being a dang lawn mower engine with the tension throttle and the other I bought on advise and it ended up being a lever throttle but a horizontal shaft which does the work for me lol. I shoulda looked closer both times. Guess I got too excited being a rookie at this. I looked at their site and don't see many vertical 6.5 HP. I'll have to look closer and slow the heck down this time. More to follow.

I think the Throttle levers for the Honda vertical gxv160 or gxv200 same as the predator vertical are under $10 on eBay

Need a pump mounting collar for the horizontal engine, and maybe a little redo of the hoses, but that is the way I went rather than futzing with the vertical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God this isn't going well. I bought two engines today and neither worked from Harbor. The first one I didn't look over close enough and it ended up being a dang lawn mower engine with the tension throttle and the other I bought on advise and it ended up being a lever throttle but a horizontal shaft which does the work for me lol. I shoulda looked closer both times. Guess I got too excited being a rookie at this. I looked at their site and don't see many vertical 6.5 HP. I'll have to look closer and slow the heck down this time. More to follow.

The vertical shaft engine should work just fine. If I'm not mistaken the throttle and safety stop are two different things. The safety stop can be defeated. It is a band around the flywheel that loosens when you pull the lever.

Latest posts

Back