Replacement Engine For Older Huskee 22 Ton Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh you may be right. I'll have to go back down there tomorrow and really really look over the throttle. Not sure how to bypass the safety stop. I didnt see a throttle lever that you could turn up and down but I might have missed it.

That's the motor I purchased early that I could figure out the throttle on.

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/69000-69999/Q69731.pdf

This quick start guide shows the difference between the safety stop and the throttle. This engine was designed to work on a lawnmower with a "presence lever" safety stop and a remote throttle. The safety stop can be removed or just wired open. The throttle was made to work with a cable operated remote that probably uses friction to hold throttle position. I think somebody mentioned a throttle option available for Honda engines that would work or you could adapt a remote mower throttle control.

Not quite a direct bolt on, but for the price I don't think you can beat these engines.

You can order all kinds of LiFan engines at Home Depot website. They deliver them to the store and you can pick them up. See if they have something that fits your needs

I've really looked things over and I'm going to just keep the motor that you recommended, the 6.5 predator horizontal shaft and just convert this thing to a horizontal operating splitter. It's less of a pain in the arse to just go through this and get it done than it is to go through the hassle of altering the 5.5 vertical to work. That engine is far from perfect even though it's vertical. The throttle in tight on the bean side of the splitter which would be really annoying and if I'm gonna do this I may as well not settle 'easy'. I've got access to a misc metal shop that I'll have bend me up a few 1/4" steel plates to bolt to my existing motor mount. I'll drill them out to accept the new motor and cover the giant hole that is there now for the old vertical motor. I'll drill the 2" hole for the pump and have another bend above that to protect the pump from falling peices of wood. Rework the hoses and that's that. Of course this is taking WAAAAY longer than I'd hoped it would and I've lose a ton of valuable time. Annoying. Engines should last forever and ever.

Question. When I disconnect the pump to move it I'm goin to introduce air into the system. When I hook up all the hoses on the new config how do you handle the air situation or does it just purge itself. I'll fill the new hoses with hydraulic oil before final hookups but should I be concerned with the little amount of air left behind? My hydraulic fluid tank does have a bleeder hole on the cap.

Also, I figured while I'm here I'd comment on the Briggs as I see some are surprised that it's failed after hundreds of hours. It wasn't the maintenance which is pretty simple like engine oil ECT. The damn thing vibrated itself to peices. First the throttle fell apart from vibration and then the muffler bolts vibrated out stripping the threads in the process so I drilled and tapped new bolts and installed locktite there. Next the pop rivets that held the cover over the pull string vibrated loose and that came flying off. That I couldnt figure out really as the rivet holes were way larger now as the pops that were there widened the holes like a river flowing down a canyon. Finally the pull string assembly just broke out one day. Not the pull string its self but the whole assembly. So to start it I just wrapped rope around the wheel and gave her a pull. There were also a bunch of other things jiggling around that I have no clue what they do. The thing just fell apart and I did the best I could with the limited knowledge I have to keep it together. I'm not an engine guy. I'm a home guy that heats his place with wood lol. I learn as I go here. The thing literally fell apart. I'm not complaining either.

Don't bother trying to fill the hoses , that would be a mess, hoses are changed on equipment all the time no harm done from empty hose, might take a couple cycles to get it worked out but far better than screwing around trying to fill a hose. Quit mind screwing this thing to death and just get it done !!!!!!!!

Here is my gx340 with the 16gpm pump.
Move it forward for a little more room by the lever and weight on the front leg.

cb7dbe7d98502958acfde5666f13c78e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my gx340 with the 16gpm pump.
Move it forward for a little more room by the lever and weight on the front leg.

This would be the route I would go if my motor took a dump on my hydraulic splitter that I never use because it is slow. I would get the 8hp or 13hp Predator along with a 13gpm or 16gpm pump and speed that baby up a little!!

Exactly the decisions I took. Cycles quicker now around 8 sec instead of 12 sec. doesn't seem like a lot but it was mentally satisfying

Exactly the decisions I took. Cycles quicker now around 8 sec instead of 12 sec. doesn't seem like a lot but it was mentally satisfying

In a 6 hr. day of splitting total that 4 sec. for that time and it will be more than mentally satisfying!

It'll be close I think.
I turned up the bypass with the larger engine to keep it in high speed as long as possible

I'm just gonna keep the pump for now. Honestly, for safety reasons, I'm not sure I really trust myself with a faster cycle. When I get into the zone I have definitely pinched a glove tip or two over the years. Never a finger though thank god I dont split enough wood to really worry about it anyhow.

NJ fish. Where'd you get the pump mount collar? I've got a better idea for this while I wait for my bent steel plates.

Northern tool or eBay for the 11gpm and 6.5hp should be about $30
Share the idea so we can either steal shamelessly or save you from yourself

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back