resizing split wood question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My 78 year old dad has a hog house with about 8 pickup loads of split maple in it. The pieces are about 24" long. This wood was cut in the 90's when he had a fireplace. He stopped using the fireplace because of its inefficiency. He recently put an insert into it and wants to burn wood again. The insert will hold a maximum of 18" wood. I am looking for some suggestions on a safe way he can recut the split pieces. I was not too impressed when I pulled into their yard the other day seeing my mom holding the pieces on a sawhorse while he cut them!
Thanks!

Try laying a ratchet strap on the ground and tossing an armload of splits on it, then close the strap. You should then be able to saw the bundle quickly.

+1 on the ratchet strap.

There's an AS member who modified the end of a wooden log rack by installing metal eyes on the bottom rails for attaching the strap to a stack of logs for trimming/cutting with a chainsaw. I saved them on my computer somewhere. Searching for them....

Here it is. (This photo is not mine, it belongs to a clever AS member)

LogStrap.jpg

You probably could modify it with two more verticals (with braces) and not have to use a strap.

Last edited:
I'd burn a few pieces before you do anything else. Wood that's been sitting that long might be not much more than punk. Make sure it's worth bothering with before you spend any effort on cutting it down to size.

If it's still good, take a look at some of the sawbuck designs around here.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1026596&postcount=4

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1036046&postcount=19

There's a thread around here somewhere that showed a picture of a jig that was built to stack short pieces in sort of a double H frame. It lined them all up on one side, and then you just run your saw down the outside of the other side, and they are all cut to length. I did a search, but couldn't find it. I think it would be ideal for your purpose.

He apparently already has a sawbuck. Just put a few nails in the proper spot and bungee cord 3 or more pieces at a time into the sawbuck and cut away.

Harry K

Yep thats my method. I'd use a miter saw if i had one but this way workout ok cause I cut a few ata time. Like Mark said, the 90s is old wood. Of course if it was stored well and still has weight then it's good to go.

Back