Restoring old saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorcw

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I had a good find on craigslist a 1956 David Bradley 917-60003. I got it running with a little carb work the saw is complete no broken parts. Should a person take it apart and clean and paint it or leave it the way it is? Would it hurt the value of it if I do?

That model David Bradley is a very common one and would not be worth a lot of money even to a collector so if it makes you happier with it to strip and paint it then I say go ahead and do it. Thewre is thousands of them out there and a lot of them are in real good shape.
Pioneerguy600

Just curious if I would destroy any value it had left in it I got the thing for 20 dollars

the best thing to do is put the saw down somewhere, and walk away.... one saw becomes two, then five, then 15.

That doesnt bother me I have the room

That's the attitude we love around here!!:cheers:

If paint makes you happy, I say go for it........I keep heariong how these David Bradleys and old Homelite Zips...and the list goes on, are common, but I can't find any up here!!.....I just love old stuff and even more when it looks and runs good. Have fun and let us know what you get next!!:greenchainsaw:

do with it as you wish. Forget about profit. (how much money has anyone made watching movies?) This is a hobby. Remember, as AS member Banacanin says, they cheaper than cars and safer than motorcycles...

Have fun with it - learn as you go and appreciate pre-computer engineering and manufacturing.

One thought, if you are interested in running the saw at all, it might be a good idea to pull the reed valve assembly and exhaust and check the crankcase - you never know how it's been stored or how it was cared for. If it's full of corrosion or gunk, you might ruin it if not cleaned out.

I already did that it has had a coating of oil in the crankcase for a long time very clean. Id ventur to say not alot of run time on it. Is it really important to run leaded gas and straight 30w non detergent or can I just mix normal 2 stroke at 16:1 in unleaded gas? or any other mix that would work?

Just mix regular grade gasoline with a good name brand mix oil at 40:1 and those old saws will run better than ever. I know this as fact as I have over 150 old vintage saws running on this mix ratio, they run cleaner, cooler and idle + run at WOT better than they did back in the 50`s
Pioneerguy600

Thank YOU I didnt want to go through all that crap with adding lead substitute and dealing with 30wt non detergent

Just mix regular grade gasoline with a good name brand mix oil at 40:1 and those old saws will run better than ever. I know this as fact as I have over 150 old vintage saws running on this mix ratio, they run cleaner, cooler and idle + run at WOT better than they did back in the 50`s
Pioneerguy600

Right on. I'm running synth at 50:1 and 89 in everything from my 361 back to my '56 Mall and Homies - they love it!

The David Bradleys can look nice cleaned and repainted.

cal46.jpg

cal48.jpg

saw607.jpg

saw605.jpg

Just remember to retune the carb for the new fuel mix.
I'm pretty sure this was the cause of the demise of my Homelite XL400.
Didn't know much about 2 strokes when it was given to me years ago.
BUT ONE DAY IT WILL LIVE AGAIN!!!

Back