Returned the 5100, brought home a 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the 359!

I love mine. I think they're great firewood saws stock etech/nonetech whatever. They're slimmer and little less bulky than the 455/460 and they are rebuildable. I don't agree with Steve because mine (stock non etech)pulls an 18"x 3/8" with no problems. But it's really fun with a 16" x 3/8".
Darl, just be patient because it will gain power as it breaks in. You'll notice a difference after a few tanks but I swear, mine was still gaining speed after the 10th tank! Keep your chain sharp!

The dealer wanted to move the 570's!!!!

I've handled the 570 and 575, no thanks!!!! On "paper" the 570 is lighter, it may be, but it balanced like crap and the MS390 I bought instead, felt about three pounds lighter and balanced a LOT better with a 20" on it.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I have to disagree about the muffler mod to pull an 18" bar. We run 24's 80% of the time here in ohio and thats in oak and maple.

This makes no sense to me. If you do as much firewood as you claim, the extra $200 for a 372XP would pay for itself in two days of increased production.

You must take your coffee breaks while waiting for those 359's to cut through a 24"+ oak over and over.

The whole availability of parts for dealers around here strikes me as weird, too, but the three closest dealers all said the same thing; one of them is small-time, but the other two are larger, well-established businesses that carry quite a few different lines of equipment. I asked the guy yesterday, and he opined that it was because Husky and Stihl were so entrenched around here that Dolmar didn't feel inclined to compete.

I was skeptical of this, for it seems to me that if a business wants to compete it should do as well as it can wherever it can instead of letting areas suffer poor service. Anyway, the consensus with these three guys is that parts are scarce.

This wouldn't be a big deal if I had much mechanical inclination, but working on engines is something I've never really done.

I am also confused (and yeah, let down a little bit) by the whole Dolmar thing because one local distributor is in Charlotte (2.5 hours away) and the other is in North Georgia (4ish hours away).

Oh well. I believe I would have enjoyed owning and running the 5100. But I now have some peace of mind and what might be the minivan of saws: comfortable, reliable, not too sexy or headturning, fairly versatile.

Of course, I may do some mods down the road...:)

I want to set the record strait. Parts are not a problem here from that distributor. I can personally go to their site and view their current inventory of parts. THEY HAVE PARTS. Sometimes it's the dealers fault. As in a case of myself, I had a customer wanting an oil seal that was not in stock in Charlotte and all I had to do was say, get it from another dist., which they did pronto. It was me that waited a week to ship it out.

Sometimes things are not what they seem. These three guys you refer to need to get their facts strait or call me when they have a problem as they may not be dialing the right phone number. It's the only thing I can think of as being the problem. By the way we have Dolmar parts available online direct from our store, and we stock them all and many more.

I want to set the record strait. Parts are not a problem here from that distributor. I can personally go to their site and view their current inventory of parts. THEY HAVE PARTS. Sometimes it's the dealers fault. As in a case of myself, I had a customer wanting an oil seal that was not in stock in Charlotte and all I had to do was say, get it from another dist., which they did pronto. It was me that waited a week to ship it out.

Sometimes things are not what they seem. These three guys you refer to need to get their facts strait or call me when they have a problem as they may not be dialing the right phone number. It's the only thing I can think of as being the problem. By the way we have Dolmar parts available online direct from our store, and we stock them all and many more.

Yeah, man, knowing you guys down the road a ways could get whatever you needed frustrated me and caused me to doubt the caliber of dealer I was talking to. Do you stock the noncat muffler for the 359? I know I can get it at Baileys, but I didn't see it on your website.

Also, you need to open up a Western North Carolina Amick's Outpost...:clap:

My daughter will be attending college at Boone. I love those mountains and we'd love to open a store up there. We could expand on our outdoor living offerings. Our outdoor grills have been selling good lately and we've just added a outdoor TV and we're looking at outdoor kitchens. Who knows it may be around the corner. I love those mountains ( I already said that) , it's a beautiful place and the temps are great. I live halfway between the beaches and the mountains and I always pick the mountains if I have a say. Take Care, Tony

This makes no sense to me. If you do as much firewood as you claim, the extra $200 for a 372XP would pay for itself in two days of increased production.

You must take your coffee breaks while waiting for those 359's to cut through a 24"+ oak over and over.
I agree with HUSKYMAN
As you all know I'm as big of a 359 fan as anybody, but there are limitations.
I wouldn't expect to cut that size hardwood on a production scale with a 359, just not enough saw. I have a friend that puts a 24" bar on a 359 occasionally & it does cut the bigger wood ok, but slow & is harder on the saw.
That's why I own a husky 371 & I'm thinking about a Dolmar 7900.

We have bigger saws. But back when we started the business money was tight and these were what my dad was using for his ground guys and had proven to be reliable. I added a couple of seasonal helpers and a couple more saws and the 359's were the hired help saws. I completely agree that there is more productive tools, but at this point it is almost like the old pickup that wont die but it looks so bad you wish it would. Believe me if I am cutting I have the 44 with a 24 in my hand but the 359's were pretty darn good for a couple of poor guys starting a business.

I understand that, but for most uses the 5100 will be a nicer saw than the 359......

The MS361 is lighter than the 359, and will beat both with a solid margin in the cut though......:)

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawinredneck
The dealer wanted to move the 570's!!!!

I've handled the 570 and 575, no thanks!!!! On "paper" the 570 is lighter, it may be, but it balanced like crap and the MS390 I bought instead, felt about three pounds lighter and balanced a LOT better with a 20" on it.

Not at all, actually the NE575 with 5.8hp is lighter than the 570 - and the old one weighted the same. :greenchainsaw:

LMAO!

361? we dont need no stinkin' 361!

:buttkick:

If you ever use a 361, you will not find a need for the 346 or 455........try it sometime. Maybe sell both of yours for $300, you might get $300 for both of them, big might! Then save up your lunch money for a few months and buy a real saw.

If you ever use a 361, you will not find a need for the 346 or 455........try it sometime. Maybe sell both of yours for $300, you might get $300 for both of them, big might! Then save up your lunch money for a few months and buy a real saw.

You forgot he has a Redmax 620 or whatever it is, the 361 Killer! The most badass saw ever made

I own a 359 with a 20 in bar would not trade it for any saw in that size class. Balanced well, plenty of power. just thought i would add my 2 cents. thanks

LMAO!

all the 361 did was make me think it was overpriced compared to the Huskies.

try again?

maybe if you used a 346,455,361 in the same piece of wood you would know what i was talking about.

:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back