Rookie looking for chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to the site and this is my very first post. :) I have a very gerneral question.

I will shorty be coming into some wood courtesy of the local tree-man, I have never cut or split wood in my life (yes I'm a city boy) in any case, Can anyone recommend a chainsaw, safety equipment and possibly a splitter for a noob?

BTW, I plan on cutting about 6 cords a year. :chainsaw:

go slow

My advice to you would be to find someone who already does that sort of work and offer to help him to learn about what you are getting into, before you make an investment into something you may or may NOT want to continue doing. You can learn about the work and equipment necessary on the job. It would be dangerous to just jump into wood cutting without any experiience whatsoever. However, I do admire your eagerness and initiative. :clap:

Good luck

Red: You did not say how big or what type of wood, but living in NY. I will assume it's about the same as OH. and you won't be cutting anything huge. that being said look at a Stihl 026 or a Husky 346xp with 16" to 18" bar they will cover just about anything you encounter A Stihl 361 is another excellent choice but may be over kill.There are many other saws that will work for what you want to do but you asked!!!! Buy the best saw that you can afford . Talk to your dealer and explain to him your new at this.
I have found most dealers will be very helpful, talk about protective gear also Chaps,gloves eye protection and see if you can put together a package deal. Just like the saw don't skimp on the PPE. Now let the games begin.......

Last edited:
My advice to you would be to find someone who already does that sort of work and offer to help him to learn about what you are getting into, before you make an investment into something you may or may NOT want to continue doing. You can learn about the work and equipment necessary on the job. It would be dangerous to just jump into wood cutting without any experiience whatsoever. However, I do admire your eagerness and initiative. :clap:

Good luck

+1. Have the "local tree man" spend the first day with you and/or consider taking a beginners chain saw safety class at a community college or whoever else might offer one. You're focus should be on learning safe technique more then brand name of the equipment.

I would recommend picking the best local dealer you can find and buy the lines of equipment that they offer. (Dolmar, Stihl or Husky - it really doesn't matter that much despite the endless "what saw is better" debates on AS). You'll likely be dependent on that dealer for service and support as you get started.

There are also plenty of excellent online sources of info. One of them is the OSHA Logging Advisor which is actually quite good. There's also one from NZ but I don't have the link. Try the search button.

Last edited:
Hello all, I am new to the site and this is my very first post. :) I have a very gerneral question.

I will shorty be coming into some wood courtesy of the local tree-man, I have never cut or split wood in my life (yes I'm a city boy) in any case, Can anyone recommend a chainsaw, safety equipment and possibly a splitter for a noob?

BTW, I plan on cutting about 6 cords a year. :chainsaw:

Everyone will tell you to buy a 361 or a 359. My suggestion, buy a piece of crap saw and some good safety gear (chaps, gloves, goggles). After you learn how to maintain it and keep it in one piece, find a good saw that will meet you needs, then you will have a good saw and a backup.:cheers:

Good luck

I think that's good advice, as long as that "someone" doesn't teach him bad habits...but how will he know? Two things: 1) Protect yourself 2) Take care of your gear. Protect yourself from being gashed by the saw, getting chips in your eyes, losing your hearing, having limbs fall on your head and being crushed by a tree by wearing chaps, gloves, face shield, hearing protection, helmet and by learning and using safe procedures. Take care of your gear by running proper mix ratios, keeping the bar oil reservoir topped off, properly tension the chain, and keep the bar out of the dirt when you're cutting. It'll ruin the chain. Cuttting with a sharp chain is safer than cutting with a dull chain. There's a lot more that others will add.

I'm fairly new to this also, only 3 seasons cutting, I agree that working with someone even for a short period of time is the most important thing. I don't think there is anything about cutting wood that I would want to learn "the hard way". I cut with my father inlaw the first season, I'm glad I did. Also, until you cut a bit and get the feel of using a saw you may not now how big or small of a saw you prefer to use.

Hopefully you have time to read as much as possible on this forum, there is a load of information about anything you want to know.

Safety...I allready had good boots and gloves. This year I will have some chaps and face protection. I work for an insurance company, this year I paid two claims for chainsaw accidents. No loss of limbs or anything, but injuries that some safety equipment probably would have minimized or prevented altogether.

Cutting wood is fun, saves money, is good exercise (split by hand), and tinkering with the saws is addictive. (this forum will get you hooked).

Good luck

Where abouts in NYS

I am a dealer that handles Dolmar saws and Timberwolf firewood splitters maybe I can be of assistance.

Scott

Last edited:
Hey there, I'm new to the forum too but have done some cutting throughout the years. I think what the guy said about getting a crappy saw at first and learning about how to take care of it is good advice but I also think if you get a good saw and ask questions on this forum on how to care for it you will be more happy. Cutting with a good saw makes it so much more enjoyable. I bought a stihl 025 back in 2001 and am very happy with that saw and it's not to expensive. I think I payed $290.00 maybe less w/ an 18'' bar. They call it an 18'' but it's more or less a 16'' w/ a 325 chain. That 025 or now ms250 is plenty of saw for you and you'll enjoy cutting.

Yes

Good luck

+1...Very sound advice!

I would look into a pro (mag case, not plastic) model in the 50-60cc range. Dolmar, Stihl, Husqvarna and Jonsered are all good choices. Check out a dealer that is close (The Cutting Edge?). Get chaps, and ear/eye protection at least. Learn to file the chain and keep the air filter clean. Cutting 6 cords a year with proper care a good saw should last 20 years easy.

Wow, some sound advise! Thank you all for the imput.

My cousins husband used to do tree work for years, so I guess the plan will be:

1- Buy a cheap husky chainsaw for 2-300 and chaps/eye/head/and boots ppd's FROM A LOCAL DEALER

2- Bring a case of beer to cousin for chainsaw lessons

3- Read http://www.tiltonequipment.com/ChainSawOperatorsSafetyManual.pdf

4- Start cutting wood

Thanks all

Last edited:
If your looking at Husky, go for the 350. Yea its a plastic saw, yea its cheap, but they are darn good machines. I have a Jonsered 2150 [almost the same saw] and it has never let me down.

Do yourself a favor and spend the few extra $ and get it from a dealer and not from Lowes or Tractor supply. It will pay for itself in the long run.

I feel that you don't have to always go for the pro saws, like your going to hear from the A. S. guys. Take care of it, learn to sharpen the chain, clean the filter, and it will last you a good long time. I still have my first Crafstmen 358..... that I bought back in the 80's and other than carb work, chains and spark plugs it still runs pretty good. Its about ready for a good going over, buts its ran 100's of hours, and you being a firewood cutter, thats about what you'll be looking at. Besides, once you're on this site, you'll start looking for bigger trees and bigger saws.

Be safe

Like you Red, im new to this AS, and now im addicted. The guys here know what they're talking about (for the most part). I've been cutting wood for some 30 years, and though I knew a lot, but on this site, there is so very much more to learn. I have a 260 PRO, (amoungst many others), and it is a wonderful saw, and will do just about anything that you would want to do. But most of all Stay Safe. That is of most importance. You will get a lot of information on this site. Good luck.

Since you are new to saws... remember that no amount of safety equipment will save you from receiving a nasty wound.

Saws are not something to be taken lightly. It's not like you are buyin' a new ratchet set at Sears. Saws are dangerous. An $80 dollar Walmart Poulan is just as dangerous as a $800 Pro Stihl.

Saws are not forgiving. They tear flesh. Just keep that in mind while you are using your new saw. Whichever one you choose. If you want to see how not to use a saw... there are 1,000's of retards using saws on Youtube doing stupid stuff.

Just try not to be like those idiots. Their days are numbered to when they will get seriously hurt.

Stay safe, keep your chains sharp. Sharp chains are like sharp knives... they cut easier so you don't have to "force" the saw. Dull chains are dangerous.

Yes... some may tend to be a little hard on guys new to cuttin' with a saw. Ask smart questions and you will receive smart answers. Don't hesitate to ask. If you are not familiar with a process... please ask. Like I said earlier... saws don't care if you know how to use them. But if you don't they will bite you hard. Even the smallest mistake can be catastrophic or fatal.

Not trying to scare you or anything... but it would suck to read that a new saw guy got hurt.

Go slow... think things through... and ask questions.

Good luck... :)

Gary

Well was only thinking of a couple of things i've read over the last 3 or 4 months that I don't completely agree with, but there is so much to learn here on AS. It is a wonderful site. (and just because i don't agree with something, doesn't mean im right either. LOL

If your looking at Husky, go for the 350. Yea its a plastic saw, yea its cheap, but they are darn good machines. I have a Jonsered 2150 [almost the same saw] and it has never let me down. ....
Be safe

Yes, those are a good starting point, and the cheapest Husky/Jred that you should consider, unless the wood is really small.

If you don't mind some extra weight, take a look at the Dolmar 510 as well.
Just a tad more power, quite a bit more weight - but a sturdier design with metal case.....

Avoid the high dollar options for your first saw - let a relatively cheap one take the mistakes that you are almost bound to do........:greenchainsaw:

Edit;
If your trees usually are more than 15-16", even take a look at the Stihl MS290 or 310. They are larger and heavier, but also has more power, at a reasonable price - but plastic case and lots of vibes....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back