Rope Info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shandrum

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Pelican 1/2" 16 strand. I haven't seen it before and just ran across a great deal on a 150' hank. Looking for some feedback before I make a purchase.

Has anyone ever used Pelican 1/2" 16 strand. I haven't seen it before and just ran across a great deal on a 150' hank. Looking for some feedback before I make a purchase.

I like to stick to the tried and true stuff personally. Never heard of it myself but that doesn't mean anything. Just keep in mind that you usually get what you pay for. Oh yeah, and your life also may depend on it.

Ok. I researched the Pelican rope a little more and went ahead and Purchased it. 16 strand 12 mm rope, looks just like HiVee, steam set to prevent milking and has a 8260lb rating. Seems a little stiff and slick, but, needs to be broke in. I think i did ok. 150' hank for $95 from a local supplier. If nothing else, it will make a good light rigging line or tag line.

Is it brand new or new to you?. I purchased some rope from army surplus store about 11 years ago. The inner core had tags that rated it at 6000lbs. I made a lanyard out of a pieace of it. Years later I found it and took it to work for a big elm removal. We had been storm chasing for a couple of months and my confidence was on a all time high(usually happens b4 an accident). I put a small face in the really out stretched, overweighted limb. Needles to say it split down the middle. The only thing that stopped me from getting smashed was that rope is crap. It ripped right away. I've since pulled on it with machinery and it fails quick.

Arborist rope is pickey not to stiff but must be tough. You have to be able to tie a knot and have it stay dressed. The new friction savers with rings, have terrible bend ratios for the rope. Instead os 4or5-1 they are about 1-1. I buy rope off ebay a lot but mostly for rigging. I love the small 6mm. Be careful :D

The rope was brand new. Manufacture date was 10/11. It climbs very good with 10mm bee-line. I always use a sleeve friction saver. So far, so good.

Back