Sachs Dolmar wont start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Weld

If it aint broke, it aint mine!
Reaction score
I was cutting a couple days ago with my SD116 and it was running great. All of a sudden it quit. It just throttled down and died. It would not start. So I put it up until today.
Today I:
I mixed fresh 50:1 fuel.
Pulled plug - it was not fouled and looked dry.
I am getting spark (see below)
Air filter is brand new
Put it back together and tried to start it....nothing.
(I even dripped a couple drops of 50:1 into the carb)
So after pulling the rope for a while, I figured the plug would be wet.
I pulled it again and it was bone dry.
I looked down into the tank and checked the fuel line it is intact and connected.
That is where I stopped to get some advice here before I went any further.

Three pieces of information:
~ by checking spark, I was doing the old scredriver in the boot and got shocked. I know that is kind of jackleg, but it is all I got...
~ I am using a Marine 2 cycle oil. I dont think this makes a difference, because it has run fine on it in the past.
3oz to 1gal of gas.

What should I do next?
Thanks in advance....

Check compression...
If you shot gas in the carb and got not even a blubber or pop, you either got no spark or no compression..
If you can, pull the muffler and have a gander at the piston...

Sounds good. I am going to go pull the muffler and check the fuel filter...in the garage of repair and despair....:dizzy:

Check the fuel filter and PRAY the marine lube didn't mess things up. Marine lub is for water cooled boats...it may be expensive and good but in boats not saws. Saws produce more heat than water cooled boates and the lube doesn't hold up.

I've seen this claim many saws, weedeaters and blowers. You thing your doing right but your not.

Sure hope I'm wrong. Compression test will tell.

Well, I pulled the muffler......Vertical Stripes!!!! :cry::givebeer:

What do I need to do next? Did I ruin the jug and the piston?

If you're likely going to repair it, I'd suggest a vac/press test on the crankcase first. Good chance, unfortunately, that there's a vac leak there. So then you could deal with that as part of a package, rather than set up a repeat of history.

As Poleman said TC-W oils are NOT, EVER for air-cooled 2-strokes. Could have bound up your ring(s) long-term and even contributed to the damage. Certainly would not help.

Depending on the top-end damage, there's a chance you could get away with a cylinder cleanup and piston kit. Before ordering parts, you'd want to open it up and see if the cyl can be salvaged. If so, should save you major expense. Lots of threads here on restoring cylinders.

Best Wishes, and ignore the ape.

SD116 and it was running great. All of a sudden it quit. It just throttled down and died. It would not
Today I:
Air filter is brand new

just checked my three Dolmar's all 25:1 fuel mix
i would think you have a fuel problem, wrong oil, wrong mix, unhappy saw

"JB Weld".

You're killin' me.

Yes SIR!,

ol' JB is havin' a heck of a time with that old saw.

Although I have many a Sachs Dolmar, never owned one in that series (113/116).

One thing is for sure, parts for them are getting harder and harder to find.

I would suggest if he likes the saw to be looking for a 'parts saw'.

I have bought several to keep my fleet running, sometimes the 'parts saws' are better than the one I was trying to get going.

Having several of the same series is like having your own parts crib. Be very careful because you may end up getting them all going, then you end up needing more (C.A.D.)

Well, I pulled the muffler......Vertical Stripes!!!! :cry::givebeer:

What do I need to do next? Did I ruin the jug and the piston?
there are always some wear marks as long as there not deep groves, i would look for a fuel problem first, thats concurrent with the way is stopped and a dry plug, you would know if its compression, pulls over like theres nothing there (Dolmar's hang form the pull cord) compression stops them dropping.
collapsed fuel line or blocked carb, diaphragm given up.
most saws with low compression will start you notice uneven running and dies in the cut (hard to get going)
it might be the cool running oil has been overheated and gummed up the carb

I got 26 psi on the compression test (10 pulls). There is no question that piston is scored.
I am ordering the piston on Monday as well as a kit for the carburetor. I am sure the original fuel lines have not been changed in a long time.

I plan on cleaning up the jug using the process in the videos that Mastermind posted.

if the jug is as bad as you say piston or rings will do nothing, You might be better getting hold of a none runner with good compression, make a good one out of the two and sell the remaining for parts

I might do that. At this point, I have very little money in this saw though, so I don't mind investing a bit in it.

to do it properly is about the same price of a new one (saw that is!), once the chrome has worn in the jug its a bye bye job, every time you here talk of this its $200 for re-bore+chrome + new piston n rings +every thing else crank seals bearings carb kit etc etc etc, get a good saw for $300
if lucky get second hand complete jug n piston $40 on fleebay
my advice is sell this for spares and put the money in to one in better condition I.E running would be good!!!

I have plenty of saws that run, and I already have most of my firewood laid in.

This SD was given to me and she has some sentimental value.
Heck, I spent two weeks finding an original air filter.
I am not about to quit now. I am ordering a piston tomorrow. :D
She is worth fixing.

I will update my progress in the Sachs Dolmar sticky.

I was cutting a couple days ago with my SD116 and it was running great. All of a sudden it quit. It just throttled down and died. It would not start. So I put it up until today.
Today I:
Air filter is brand new
So after pulling the rope for a while, I figured the plug would be wet.
I pulled it again and it was bone dry.
I looked down into the tank and checked the fuel line it is intact and connected.
That is where I stopped to get some advice here before I went any further.

Three pieces of information:
~ by checking spark, I was doing the old scredriver in the boot and got shocked. I know that is kind of jackleg, but it is all I got...
~ I am using a Marine 2 cycle oil. I dont think this makes a difference, because it has run fine on it in the past.
3oz to 1gal of gas.

What should I do next?
Thanks in advance....

Marine 2-cycle oil is for WATER COOLED engines which do not get as hot as air-cooled small engines... The oil will burn away partially at higher temperatures leaving much less lubrication (only a tiny amount of the 2-cycle oil in the mix has a chance to condensate on the cylinder walls to start with). I wouldn't use it for chainsaws...

Latest posts

Back