Safety gear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw18x

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We moved into a new property and I'll be graduating from scrounging to doing some more serious cutting in the woods this fall. What kind of buying advice can you give me on chaps, possibly helmet in terms of brands, online suppliers, etc? Thanks.

Labonville makes some nice chaps. Husqvarna makes a nice all in one helmet with earmuffs and protective screen. Any certified helmet will work, I prefer one with a full brim.

When I was looking, I didin't see a huge difference in the helmets with the flip up screens and ear pro built in, it seems like everything else.....one company makes them and they are branded by diffrent company's and sold to brand loyal people. I thought I wanted one of the helmets with the flip up screen as I hated how my safety glasses always fogged up when cutting in the winter, I thought the screen would be better but it seemed like enough stuff got around it I had to wear glasses anyways. I ditched that helmet and I bought a regular hardhat. My chaps are cheap ones from Menards, they seem as good as any I guess. A lot of Menards,Home Depot, Lowes type stores sell a kit where you can get a helmet and chaps for less than a hunert bucks

The best advice is to buy stuff that is certified (ANSI, UL, etc.), and that you will wear. If it is too heavy, too hot, or uncomfortable, and you don't wear it, it cannot help to protect you.

'Apron' chaps (cover front of legs only) are lighter and less expensive. 'Wrap' chaps, cover the back of your legs as well, but are heavier and hotter. I actually have both styles and wear the apron chaps for basic protection on hot days, but switch to the wrap chaps when working around really tangled messes. Labonville (site sponsor) is popular around here. Basic Husqvarna branded chaps available from vendors here (Baileys. etc.) as well as some home centers at a reasonable price ($60). STIHL chaps only at STIHL dealers. Suspenders help with any chaps.

Here is a thread I stated on a new style which may be more convenient: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/zip-up-chainsaw-chaps.279654/

Branded helmet systems are available from STIHL, Husqvarna, ECHO dealers, etc., as well as by companies like Peltor. These are usually lighter in weight. Many of these (except STIHL) are available on line from vendors. Note that replacement/repair parts (ear muffs, face screens, suspensions, etc.) will be available for name brand helmets, unlike some others, which lowers the total cost of ownership. Safety glasses (protect eye) should still be worn under a face screen (protects face). I like helmets with a ratchet suspension, which makes it easier to adjust if I need a haircut, or trying to wear a liner on a cold day, or just need it more secure due to wind, etc.

MSA also sells a heavier duty version, available from places like Grainger, which I like: http://us.msasafety.com/Face-Protec...d®-Accessory-System-Kits/p/000060007000001400

Philbert

The best advice is to buy stuff that is certified (ANSI, UL, etc.), and that you will wear. If it is too heavy, too hot, or uncomfortable, and you don't wear it, it cannot help to protect you.

'Apron' chaps (cover front of legs only) are lighter and less expensive. 'Wrap' chaps, cover the back of your legs as well, but are heavier and hotter. I actually have both styles and wear the apron chaps for basic protection on hot days, but switch to the wrap chaps when working around really tangled messes. Labonville (site sponsor) is popular around here. Basic Husqvarna branded chaps available from vendors here (Baileys. etc.) as well as some home centers at a reasonable price ($60). STIHL chaps only at STIHL dealers. Suspenders help with any chaps.

Here is a thread I stated on a new style which may be more convenient: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/zip-up-chainsaw-chaps.279654/

Branded helmet systems are available from STIHL, Husqvarna, ECHO dealers, etc., as well as by companies like Peltor. These are usually lighter in weight. Many of these (except STIHL) are available on line from vendors. Note that replacement/repair parts (ear muffs, face screens, suspensions, etc.) will be available for name brand helmets, unlike some others, which lowers the total cost of ownership. Safety glasses (protect eye) should still be worn under a face screen (protects face). I like helmets with a ratchet suspension, which makes it easier to adjust if I need a haircut, or trying to wear a liner on a cold day, or just need it more secure due to wind, etc.

MSA also sells a heavier duty version, available from places like Grainger, which I like: http://us.msasafety.com/Face-Protec...d®-Accessory-System-Kits/p/000060007000001400

Philbert

I've found that wire suspension for muffs are really easy to destroy in "normal" use. Won't buy another.

With muffs in place with my Husqy combo helmet, I need to be able to lip-read- very difficult to hear loud speech. (No can do.) OTOH, when I speak to bud with stihl combo helmet, 5 ft away, he can hear me without me yelling. Indicates substantial diff in noise-reduction. Anyway, he's shopping for a Husqy one.

You can also buy chainsaw pants..i use stihl pants with the suspenders as i hate wearing chaps..they get hung up on everything

Just don't rely on the safety gear to keep you safe, practice safe saw handling and work ethic. Keep your escape routes open, etc. I bought a pair of Labonville full wrap chaps and like them.

Look to see if the muffs have a db reduction rating. The higher the better, but the worse for hearing anybody. I prefer to keep my hearing, so I look for the highest db reduction possible.

If you want to hear without having to remove the muffs all the time, look into a pair that goes behind the head so you can wear a hard hat that are electronic. I think they'll work with a chainsaw, I know they work for shooting.

Back