Sappy bar question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbow388

Off The Air BEEEEEEEEP
Reaction score
After 1 cord of oak and 3 cords of hickory under the belt of my new saw, I have a sappy bar and chain. Chain is going to get sharpened tomorrow.

What does everyone do to get the bar nice and clean from the sap?

Most all the stuff that forms deposits on my chains (bars, none yet) results from cutting really dry wood, like white ash, with chain that needs a touch of the file.
Using Granberg guide, I give each cutter a stroke or two whenever that happens. Usually coincides with saw spitting dust, not chips. Regardless, using same tooling, I give each cutter a stroke at every second fill-up, even if it doesn't need it.
Except for a mess of eastern white pine that had been severely traumatized by the '11 tornado in Monson MA, I've never experienced any sort of sappy stuff on a bar. That includes multiple species of hickory.
Easiest way to clean a chain, that I've found, is to fire up the engine, and cut some green wood.
Honest. You can over-think this. Bars & chains are meant to play in the "dirt". Woody dirt, only, of course.

I have never had sap on my bar. Everything I cut is dead and pretty dry before it even gets a saw put to it.

old mix, diesel, mineral spirits, various simple colored cleaners, etc. Some will eat the paint if you care.

I cut the same as you mostly ya get some sappy buildup. Not terrible though.

Pretty much anything petroleum based will cut the sap off the bar. Old gas mix, brake cleaner, diesel, carb cleaner, engine degreaser...

If you have sapped up bars keep in mind it's easier to remove when warm/hot. I've taken some bars and put on or near the stove to heat them up and the sap comes off easier then.

Read Philbert's thread!!!

Never tried it on a bar or chain, but on saw blades, router bits, shaper cutters, etc in my wood shop I use oven cleaner. Takes off the baked-on gunk like you wouldn't believe.

Lot's of choices,

I like carb cleaner, or brake cleaner whichever is handy, followed by working the area with an old toothbrush if needed. Follow up with a blast of compressed air while the gunk is loose.

Be sure to clean out the bar groove at the same time. I like dental picks as they're stiff but small enough to dig all the crap out of the bottom of the channel and the bar's oil hole.

Take care

Never tried it on a bar or chain, but on saw blades, router bits, shaper cutters, etc in my wood shop I use oven cleaner. Takes off the baked-on gunk like you wouldn't believe.

Most oven cleaners have the same active ingredient (sodium hydroxide = lye) that the stuff I mentioned does. Some other liquid cleaners also have it. Gotta read the labels, though.

Make sure you don't splash it in eyes or on the skin, and rinse it well, then re-lube so the chain/sprocket don't rust.

Philbert

For removing sticky sap - for instance - pine sap WD-40 works real well. It removes that sticky gum from your hands too.

Run synthetic bar oil...it should take care of that problem. It's all I run and have had real good luck on it

After 1 cord of oak and 3 cords of hickory under the belt of my new saw, I have a sappy bar and chain. Chain is going to get sharpened tomorrow.

What does everyone do to get the bar nice and clean from the sap?

I get no "sappy bar & chain" when cutting hard woods here? WD-40 is my saw cleaner of choice.

You cut 4 cords without sharpening the chain? I'd recommend a touch up with a file every one or two cords, or so...

l use a product made by solo called 'universal reigner' which means l think just cleaner in english. l'm pretty sure its caustic based as its harsh on nostrils & it has danger warnings about getting it on skin/eyes. This stuff is pure magic, just spray on and rinse/wipe off. It desolves everything and leaves chains gleaming! l gotta send a bottle of this stuff to philbert so he can 'lab test' it. lol.

Latest posts

Back