Saw case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mntman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been lurking for sometime on this site. Lots of good info and entertainment.
This past June I purchased an MS460, Its a great saw. Recently I installed some bigger
dogs and now it doesn't fit in my Stihl case. This got me wondering, what do other
people do with thier large saws for storage and transportation. I really didn't
see too many options online.

So guys, what do you do?

My Huskies go on a wooden shelf on the back wall... Just so I can look at them really, I wouldn't lock the poor things in a case, they need to breath :D

I have mine with a sleeve riding shotgun. Carrie and the kids can sit in the back seat.:D

Ever been in a roll over accident with a saw in the cab of a truck? I have and strongly suggest never doing this.......

Some saws cases are double walled, any chance you can just do some trimming?

I also had this problem after i put the bigger dogs on my 460. I took a small wood and metal hacksaw to it and cut out slots for the dogs. Its a little crude but it fits! not really noticable anyways.

good luck!
--Kyle

Ever been in a roll over accident with a saw in the cab of a truck? I have and strongly suggest never doing this.......

Thats exactly what I did, I still need to clean up my cuts some, but it will work.

All kidding aside, I usually have my bars covered but they are thrown in the back of my Tahoe. The Tahoe has no backseats just a six foot piece of 3/4 plywood as a bed. I never thought of how I could be seriously hurt if I were to experience a roll over and my 440 or one of those heavy Homies cracked me in the uncken. Thought provoking.

ive been thinking about making some sheetmetal cases for some of my bigger saws. somthing i can chain up in the back of the truck so if i stop somewhere i dont hafta worry about them gettin took

Maybe try the black Stihl case if you can still find it. It's a big black square box similar to the husky powerbox. Maybe that'll work?

I just finished building a plywood case for my new saw, since I didn't like any of the plastic cases available nowadays:

attachment.php

I wanted to be able to have the saw and spare bars in one place. Bonus is that there's enough room for my small toolbox with chainsaw accesories, a jug of bar oil, chaps, gloves, chains, and a few other doodads. Could even fit my small 1 gal gas tank in there if I took the chaps out.

I used scrap plywood, and the only real expense was for the hardware (hinges, handles, and latches; about $12) and the small piece of rubber mat I got at the hardware store to line the bottom (about $4).

This new case is mainly used to help keep all my sawing gear together in my garage and make it easy to throw everything in my truck in one shot. Once on a cutting site, I tend to carry around just the saw (with scabbord) and the toolbox, so the big case will likely stay in my truck. If we were tossing gear in a tractor bucket or on an ATV trailer, I'd just take along the whole deal in the case. It's marginally bigger than all that crap piled together, so it doesn't really take up more space.

Last edited:
I just finished building a plywood case for my new saw, since I didn't like any of the plastic cases available nowadays:

attachment.php

I wanted to be able to have the saw and spare bars in one place. Bonus is that there's enough room for my small toolbox with chainsaw accesories, a jug of bar oil, chaps, gloves, chains, and a few other doodads. Could even fit my small 1 gal gas tank in there if I took the chaps out.

I used scrap plywood, and the only real expense was for the hardware (hinges, handles, and latches; about $12) and the small piece of rubber mat I got at the hardware store to line the bottom (about $4).

This new case is mainly to help keep all my sawing gear together in my garage and make it easy to throw everything in my truck in one shot. Once on a cutting site, I tend to carry around just the saw (with scabbord) and the toolbox, so the big case will likely stay in my truck unless we were tossing gear in a tractor bucket or on an ATV trailer, in which case I'd just take along the whole deal in the case. It's marginally bigger than all that crap piled together, so it doesn't really take up more space.

Nice!, I was thinking about doing something simular this winter. I mainly just want the case for transportation.
I really don't want my saws riding shotgun in my truck, i have too much stuff in there already.

That's a pretty neat saw box there man.

If ya'll would stop putting them goofy looking big dogs on the saws you wouldn't have this problem. Before ya crawl my butt I have a son that says Full rap and big dogs need to go on all our work saws. I don't like um and would trade all them bigguns off my work saws for smaller ones in a heart beat.

I'm old as dirt and I ain't never seen a tree i couldn't cut with regular dogs or no dogs at all. I even made slick plates to go on some of ours about 1" long just enough to protect the front of these high dollar saws. I no my 2cents ain't worth a flip but that's how much I like dogs on a saw.

Why doesn't it fit. Do the dogs hang down too far? Could you place a piece of wood under the saw, to keep the dogs from hitting. Or does it simply not fit in the case.

I have alwasy wondered why nice expensive saws don't come with cases and cheap homeowner saws do. I guess pros jsut look for performance and homeowners need a place to store their saws since it doesn't get used too much.

When I was a sawyer, I always hated the fact that the saws were exposed and bounched around in the back of the trucks. I would alwasy wrap my chaps around the chain so they did not get bumped. It also made a nice shoulder pad for humping the saw down the trail. You have to make sure the dogs were wrapped up good so they didn't dig into your back.

Now I have a silly plastic case for my saw and love it. Dirty saw goes in the case. I can throw the case in the cab and not worry about getting bar oil and wood paste all over my truck. I can throw it in the bed and not worry about a round rolling over it and busting my hand guard.

Why doesn't it fit. Do the dogs hang down too far? Could you place a piece of wood under the saw, to keep the dogs from hitting. Or does it simply not fit in the case.

I have alwasy wondered why nice expensive saws don't come with cases and cheap homeowner saws do. I guess pros jsut look for performance and homeowners need a place to store their saws since it doesn't get used too much.

When I was a sawyer, I always hated the fact that the saws were exposed and bounched around in the back of the trucks. I would alwasy wrap my chaps around the chain so they did not get bumped. It also made a nice shoulder pad for humping the saw down the trail. You have to make sure the dogs were wrapped up good so they didn't dig into your back.

Now I have a silly plastic case for my saw and love it. Dirty saw goes in the case. I can throw the case in the cab and not worry about getting bar oil and wood paste all over my truck. I can throw it in the bed and not worry about a round rolling over it and busting my hand guard.

Yes the dogs extend too far down and up, I trimmed my case and the saw fits now. I like the case for the same reasons.

Back