Saw For Lefties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I crank with my left hand but run a saw just like a righty. It's really not difficult to do.

Ordered this one straight from Makita. I think it was a demo or something?

184099d1305466939-img_2594-jpg

I guess nobody realized it was a joke. The photo is reversed/taken with a mirror? I mean, comeon, the bar cover says 'atikam' for cryssakes. Not to mention the starter cover being bassackwards spelling too. I like the stanley 03 tape on the wall too.

Are there any lefty saws that are a little more modern? Thanks for all the pics guys, very cool. I'm sure those old bones are total workhorses but I need a daily user saw :D. I urge some righties to try holding their saw left handed and see how bad it feels though lol (not cutting of course as I have recently dicovered its unsafe :D)

Some of the vintage saws had their mufflers on the right side. When holding the saw at a normal resting position you would get very warm air directly on your playing cards if used left-handedly. Titan 30 was left handed but had the muffler on the left side 'o dee West Bend.
Igpoe:cheers:

I probably did a third of my sawing lefthanded, not just falling and bucking.
A chainsaw with full wrap front bars is made for off hand use. Some chainsaws even had dual oiler levers/buttons for use with either hand.
As always, do what you feel is right for you, but blanket negative statements are almost always wrong.

:agree2: You will note in Randy's picture that he is cutting left handed and standing clear of the saw (including the chain). On the other hand (no pun intended), I have an older left-handed friend who holds his non-chain brake saw with his right forearm perpendicular to, and straight in the middle of, the bar's path if a kickback were to occur - I can't stand to be around him when he cuts. He isn't going to change his ways and I have tried in vane to find him a left-handed saw. Ron

Photo0072.jpg

The best saw for south paws is a good ole right hand start gear drive.

Believe it or not I have no problem at all starting the saw with the starter on the left. Got good at that through necessity on the first day, now I'm pro at it lol.

Back