Saw is getting harder to start over time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aharris

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a Jonsered saw. I bought it used. When I first got it, it started on like the 2nd or 3rd pull for quite some time. Now it takes from 7 to 9 pulls to get it to fire up. What causes a saw to get harder to start over time?

Thanks!

Rubber diaphragms in the carb are getting stiff, give it a carb kit and new fuel line and filter. The rubber diaphragm acts as the fuel pump and becomes stiff over time. That should take care of it.

I'd try a new plug and fuel filter first before messing with the carb. Start with the easy stuff.

Make sure your fuel hose, and if they have one the rubber between the carborator and the cylinder does not have an hole or some type of air leak. The air leak is bad for the saw too.
Just rebuilt a Stihl 026 and had to replace all the hoses because they were leaking.
Fuel does not like to go up into the carb with small leaks :msp_rolleyes:

Update, the saw eventually wouldn't start at all so I got a rebuild kit and a new plug and fuel filter and even knew fuel line.

Took carb apart, found a metal screen, very fine mesh, plugged up pretty good with what looked like wasabi sauce! Replaced that screen, the gaskets and the fuel diaphragm. Cleaned it all up and put back together. Started but had very high idle so I made adjustments to the H/L screws until I got it running good.

A few days later now and it almost seems to be showing signs of doing the same thing again. Took like 10 pulls to start, and also bogs a bit under acceleration every once in a while when I gun it, under load or not under load makes no difference. Otherwise runs and cuts fine.

What would cause this? Forgot to mention the gas was super fresh, bought that day, tank is clean, etc.

Hello all, I have a Jonsered saw. I bought it used. When I first got it, it started on like the 2nd or 3rd pull for quite some time. Now it takes from 7 to 9 pulls to get it to fire up. What causes a saw to get harder to start over time?

Thanks!

Update, the saw eventually wouldn't start at all so I got a rebuild kit and a new plug and fuel filter and even knew fuel line.

Took carb apart, found a metal screen, very fine mesh, plugged up pretty good with what looked like wasabi sauce! Replaced that screen, the gaskets and the fuel diaphragm. Cleaned it all up and put back together. Started but had very high idle so I made adjustments to the H/L screws until I got it running good.

A few days later now and it almost seems to be showing signs of doing the same thing again. Took like 10 pulls to start, and also bogs a bit under acceleration every once in a while when I gun it, under load or not under load makes no difference. Otherwise runs and cuts fine.

What would cause this? Forgot to mention the gas was super fresh, bought that day, tank is clean, etc.

sounds like wasabi sauce in the fuel tank/lines/filter:msp_confused:

Which Jonsered is this?

Did you pull the carb and check to see if the screen was plugged again?

I wonder if there is some junk in the tank you can't see.....that dissolves over time and gets in the carb.

How does it start when it's warm?

Had the saw been sitting for a while?

Poor acceleration is a sign of running lean.....not getting enough fuel.

When you played around with the H/L to get it running good - hope you didn't lean it out too much. A loss in compression over time will cause hard starts, poor compression, etc. Hopefully there's no piston/cylinder damage.

Do you know what the compression is..??

Have you ever replaced the rings..??

Are you sure the muffler and the screen aren't clogged up,,??
:cheers:
J2F

Best way

The best way to fix that saw is to send it to one of us and go buy yourself a brand new shiny one.

Yep, that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

Did I miss where he stated the age and approx hrs on the saw ? That info would affect how I start the troubleshooting.
Rick

Latest posts

Back