Saw position during idle time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnowdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When leaving my saws [Stihl 260 and 460] sit on the ground while doing other work I have been leaving the with the fill caps pointed up, with the saw on its side. I have done that in case the oil caps weep.

Today the 460 didn't want to start once, after several periods of use, acting almost like it was hydro-locked. It would kick back, pulling the starter rope handle out of my hand, and popping the compression release. It did it repeatedly; about a dozen pulls. Finally it started. That has never happened before. I wondered if laying it on its side was a problem. As an aside, I am sure glad it has a compression release.

How do you lay your saws down in the field when not in use?

When leaving my saws [Stihl 260 and 460] sit on the ground while doing other work I have been leaving the with the fill caps pointed up, with the saw on its side. I have done that in case the oil caps weep.

Today the 460 didn't want to start once, after several periods of use, acting almost like it was hydro-locked. It would kick back, pulling the starter rope handle out of my hand, and popping the compression release. It did it repeatedly; about a dozen pulls. Finally it started. That has never happened before. I wondered if laying it on its side was a problem. As an aside, I am sure glad it has a compression release.

How do you lay your saws down in the field when not in use?

Fix your oil caps.

I did replace the leaking cap. It's just something I started doing when the bad one was seeping.

With your saw on its side, it sounds like gas is getting into the cylinder somehow.Flooding it causing your hard starting issues.This is what it sounds like to me, Ken

I have had similar issue a couple of times with an MS361 and a 362. Didn't intend for the saw to be on its side, once in the back of the pickup I remember and up in the woods a couple times. Flooded was the case each time I attempted to restart in those few incidents after the saw laying on its side, wouldn't start after typical 3-5 pulls, pulled plug to find it is soaked, dryed and fired right up. This did not always occur as the saws would frequently end up on their side when in the woods but would restart no problem most of the time. I try to keep saws upright as much as possible due to having dealt with this issue a couple times as I said. My oil caps weep a tiny amount of oil but not enough to be concerned with laying the saw on its side. If yours are dripping oil then fix the caps, no work arounds.

Latest posts

Back