Saw recommendation for a rookie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Greetings, gentlemen and other critters!

Thanks to all who contribute to this site. I’ve learned a lot just by reading the threads. I know the question of “which saw should I buy” has been asked before, and I’ve read those threads, but I’m going to ask it again.

Just because you enjoy answering it! :D

I’m a rookie at chain saws. I’ve had a Craftsman of unknown engine size. 18” bar. With that I felled about 2 dozen trees, mostly alanthus (yech!) with some pine, a mulberry, and an odd hardwood with beautiful, dense, olive colored wood. Wish I could have made some lumber out of that. That was in a city back yard, tight quarters, and most of those trees were 30 to 60 feet (a couple lightly brushed the opposite fence when they went down), maybe 5” to 12” DBH. The hardwood went 14”. All fell where I wanted them, so going slowly and carefully paid off.

Anyway, I bucked all that, trimmed a lot of limbs above ground. I also carved a 36” pine round, about 14” thick, into a planter. That was fun. That’s about my experience level. Not exactly a pro, here, but I know I enjoy cutting wood. :laugh:

I’m now the happy owner of some country land, and I have a woodstove as my primary source of heat, so I’ll be cutting some firewood. Something like 10 to 15 cords per year, I think. I also have about a dozen trees that need to come down soon. Mostly pine, similar in size to what’s described above. I have one that might go 16”. That's about the upper limit for my property, but I may get into bigger stuff elsewhere. I have an offer of a dead oak tree for the taking, and some other land to be cleared of unknown size stuff.

Since I hate cheap tools and I’m broke, I know I probably want a good used pro saw used rather than a new homeowner saw, and I know I probably want Husky, Stihl, or Jonsered. Perhaps an Echo. I’m open to other suggestions. Local dealers are not close – don’t know if any of them are worth a plugged nickel or not, so I’m not sure that dealer support is a deciding factor.

Here’s my biggest question:

How big a saw do I need?

I don’t want to beat a small saw to death – but I don’t have to have a magnum momma just to impress people. What size is appropriate? Something in the 40 cc range? I see the Echo 440s on eBay for good prices all the time, but is it enough saw or do I need to move up into the 353 or 359 class? That Jonsered 2152 sure looks pretty, but it’s not cheap, either.

I just bought an echo 3450 on eBay for next to nothing, so I’m covered for light limbing duty. Assuming it turns out to be functional, of course! :D I haven’t got it yet.

Well, folks, what do you think?

I am incredibly jealous, and in protest I refuse to offer any advise!

Just kidding! You don't want my advice anyway. Welcome aboard, & glad to see that you have a sense of humor (too many serious people around here, ha, ha). I won't pretend to know what saw would be best for you, but the Husky 353 gets a lot of nods of approval around here.

One thing that I would reccomend...once you get a good idea of which saw, or saws, that you might want, educate yourself first, then go talk to some of the dealers in your area. Kinda of feel them out to see who is going be willing help you even if you don't buy a saw from them. Of course it wouldn't hurt to see if they sell used saws.

Aw ra best! Chris J.

Since dealer support is not a concern, then search the web for a price on a new
Shindaiwa 488. Almost all will agree that it is a strong dependable saw, not a
hot performance beast that these guys want, but a very good, quality chainsaw at
a good price.

Knot Whole said:
I am incredibly jealous

About what part? The being broke part? :laugh:

Or was it the oak tree? :D

Welcome aboard, & glad to see that you have a sense of humor

Thanks for the warm welcome. AS for humor, well, my kids often tell me I'm funny. I tell them looks aren't everything. :dizzy:

the Husky 353 gets a lot of nods of approval around here.

Yeah, one of those looks pretty good. And pricey. Anybody got a good used one for sale?

One thing that I would reccomend...once you get a good idea of which saw, or saws, that you might want, educate yourself first, then go talk to some of the dealers in your area. Kinda of feel them out to see who is going be willing help you even if you don't buy a saw from them. Of course it wouldn't hurt to see if they sell used saws.

Good advice, and I'm planning on it. I'm time limited, too, so I want to get as much info as I can from you folks.

It's just a lot quicker than running into town!

Thanks for the input!

Fish said:
Since dealer support is not a concern, then search the web for a price on a new
Shindaiwa 488. Almost all will agree that it is a strong dependable saw, not a
hot performance beast that these guys want, but a very good, quality chainsaw at
a good price.

Hadn't thought of the Shindaiwa. Hot shot I don't need, but the rest sounds good.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Anybody else want to chip in their two cents? Still looking for more comments on size

I would recomend a stihl 029 or the husky 353 I have had a stihl 029 for a long time and it was a great size for firewood duties. I think 50ccs is the smallest size I would get for firewood duties.

Good saw costs $ with that figured out, Used would maybe the way to go. However, I would not likely buy something I could not hear run. Realizing that the average Joe might not know much about mixing the fuel... Plus who knows what else happened in the mean time.

Firewood cutting reccomendations: I speak from some experience. I have used quality (Stihl) and some real off brand junk in the last 20 years or so. Current arsonal is a large Stihl 046 (overkill is a good thing sometimes) and a Jred 2145. small duty goes to a Echo 3400. You have the little stuff covered, and need the major tool.

The Jred at 45cc is functional, easy to use, and light. 18" bar.
The Husky 345 is almost identical.

This is my affordable recomendation. I agree with going with some quality after some of the crap I have done battle with. I would stay with a 18" bar, longer is nice but not needed for what you are going to be doing. :cool:

I know I tend to plug the "old" Stihl 038...but if you got your hands on a second hand unit it woiuld be a tidy number for firewood. 2150 sits at about 50cc and it's another saw I tend to plug because I'm so impressed with the top end torque and the anti-vibration engineering. I personally wouldn't bother with the Solo as I don't believe the engineering is quite what it should be and my brother has had his Solo for about two years with more teething problems than a 2 year old kid...just fiddly problems that I don't believe should exist on a "quality" saw like Solo. Husky 353, of course, but you'll be paying fair dollar. DanManofStihl mentioned 50cc as minimum for firewood...I can't agree more...a tad of overkill beats flogging a smaller saw hands down. Don't forget things like balance, torque, maximum bar length, availability of spare parts etc, all the little things are important, because what feels right in my hands may feel like a sack of spuds in yours! Good luck mate.

I'd go a little bigger, more like 60 cc if you're going to cut that much firewood. My first "good" saw was a used 034 super stihl, 61cc with a 20" bar. You won't be sorry if you go to that size of a saw, especially if the one you get is as good as the one I got! heated with wood only for a few years, can't imagine doing it with anything smaller. Actually went bigger this year when an opportunity presnted itself (064, 153 Dolmar). The Dolmar is overkill, but the price was right! :)

Something a long the lines of an 026-028-029 or equivalent in Jonsered, Makita or Husky should do you fine.

Most important is dealer support and service after the sale.

Choose wisely !

A saw in the 50-60 cc range would work well for you. You might want to consider something on the higher end of that band since you already have the Echo for lighter work. Both Stihl and Husky have models in the 57-59 cc range. You will need to balance that with what you want to spend. I'd also recommend a 20 inch bar on a saw in that range. My opinion is always aim a little higher in capability just to cover yourself for future needs. Thats just me though.

As mentioned by others go and see dealers and ask to see several models. Sometimes something as simple as how the saw feels, balance, ect., can be the deciding factor between 2 similar saws.

Once you narrow your choice to one or 2 models use the search option on this site. That may help with the final decision.

Good luck and let us know what you buy.

If you want it, I've got a Jonsered 70 for sale. see my thread in the used equip forum, for more info.

Is that the 2171 equivalent ?? I.e. 70 odd cc, 4 odd kiloWatt ? That would be a smart buy ! I love how this site never buggers around with under-kill !!

oldsaw-addict said:
If you want it, I've got a Jonsered 70 for sale. see my thread in the used equip forum, for more info.

I've been looking at that on eBay. Your thread on it had me confused for a while - that Homelite got into the discussion and I missed the fact that TWO saws were being talked about. :dizzy:

So, if I understand it correctly, the Jred has the bar & chain, needs some mounts, maybe a carb kit, a sprocket, fits my pocket very nicely, and is serious overkill for my needs? :D

As someone mentioned, overkill can be a GOOD thing! I'll shoot you some questions over on the thread...

Last edited:
rahtreelimbs said:
a Husky 359. You would be hard pressed to find a better saw for the money. Also if and when the money permits the 359 is a great candidate for modification.

Just ask EHP!!!

Oh, you would have to say that - I've been drooling over those! :D

Latest posts

Back