Saw recommendation for a rookie?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MS 260=026
MS 290=029
MS361=036 and 034
MS440=044
MS460=046
for the most part they just moved the zero with the exception of the 036 that turned into the 361

034 (57cc?) was "supered" with a bigger piston (61cc)
eventually the "super" was dropped and the saw renamed 036. Instead of marketing the 034 and 034 super they went to the 034 and 036. As for the 361, someone else will have to fill us in.

The MS361, is the newer version of the 036, but with some things revamped, like spring antivibe.

I cant tell you the full story on the 361, if you run a search on it you will see some of the differences, the 361 is just a bit smaller on cc's but showing the same power as the 036, People that have them say they cut great (361) I dont know as I haven't run one, but being someone that has an 036 I think it is a great saw and would be in the range you are looking for, if you get a chance to run one I believe you would be happy with it for a firewood saw.

the 036 became the 360, then Stihl replaced it with a new updated model designated the 361. It is the same class of saw, but entirely different from the 036/360 except for minor parts and similar model numbers.

Well, this is weird. I posted last night that I picked up an 039 for $274 on eBay, but the post is not here this morning!

Maybe the forum has termites? :dizzy:

Anyway, when I get the saw I'll let you know if I got a good one or not. Never know with eBay...

I thought I had an 034 sowed up at $200, but with about 4 seconds to go somebody else nailed it! :angry:

Oh well.... That's the way the eBall bounces! :D

BlueRidgeMark said:
Well, this is weird. I posted last night that I picked up an 039 for $274 on eBay, but the post is not here this morning!
Maybe the forum has termites? :dizzy:
...or maybe you forgot to press the "submit" button - it has happened to me... :eek:

I asked much the same question. I was advised not to buy too small. I am glad I took that advice. I bought a 50cc saw. Good decision. Buy 50 cc of whatever quality brand you prefer.

Back