Saw shop requirements

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They found about 90K worth of various pills and other drugs hidden away in the car, but for whatever reason the dog didnt hit on it.
90K, was it Tony Montana? You sure the kid didn't just stay in the car and say....[Wielding a grenade launcher] Come and say hello to my little friend! :D

The other thread discussing resume`s brings a valid question to mind.
How many saw/mower shops require resume`s, job apps, drug tests? Just curious if any of the northern shops have any of these hiring practices.

I just read through this thread and for my first post all I got to say....

The only thing I ever saw a pot head attack was a cheese burger:deadhorse:

Peace :popcorn:

If the police want to come into my home every month and search it, with dogs even, in an attempt to uncover contraband, that would be fine by me, as long as they put things back where they found them. More than likely after a dozen clean searches with not so much as a hint of contraband, they would give up.

People who dont do wrong have nothing to worry about.

Police NEVER put anything back when they search any property. Some seem to enjoy trashing personal property. I speak from experience. I used to smoke pot, but I outgrew the fun it gave me. But I still have a problem with my personal space being invaded. I understand the need for homeland security. Problem is, thats another excuse for law enforcement to rape and pillage our rights. Many of my family served and some died to protect our rights as Americans, and it REALLY PISSES ME OFF when Im asked to piss in a cup because liability and lawyers are so out of control in this country. Its a sue-happy country. If I (WE, You) cant tell whether an employee is functioning properly or not, maybe I (WE,You) need to pay better attention to our employees.

i now what you mean

This is a good post. Some of the laziest, most useless culls I have ever worked with are so clean they have never even got a speeding ticket. Some of the hardest working guys I have ever worked with, and I mean balls to the wall hardworkers have criminal records for all kinds of stuff. Fact is, here anyways, if you kicked everyone with a record off the job this province would grind to a halt, at least in construction, logging that kind of thing, you know where "those" kind of people work. Also, there are people out there that work for insurance companies who screw injured people over daily, part of thier job. Lots of cons couldn't do that job for moral reasons, think about it.
i know what you mean. i agree insurance agents are a bunch of vultures:laugh:

Red, you have described and illustrated in impeccable form the mentality that allows the rise of dictatorships and fascist states better than I could have ever hoped to convey myself.

Next time you look at Nazi Germany, or North Korea, and you wonder how the people allowed that to happen to them, reread this post.

In 1776 in Philidelphia Pa a group of hard drinking,rabble rousing rebels gathered to draw out a document to outline what this new nation would stand for.That document those deep thinking individuals came up with the constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of rights securing those individuals freedoms.

Those documents are still in effect and mean exactly what they did so long ago.Now why in the world anybody would voluntarily cede those rights that countless ones died defending ,so long ago,amazes me.

Now yes,the law is the law,I can't deny that as fact.You however that would roll over just to be a goody two shoes I really don't understand at all.These personal rights are given by law to us,just for being citizens of this country.I can't in my mind understand why someone would want to be treated as if they lved in the USSR for heavens sake.

The land of the free and home of the brave only remains free if we demand our rights.They are plenty who would like to take those rights away,don't help them do so by being complacent .

I'll leave this alone for a while but I'll get on my soapbox any time on this subject as I feel very strongly about it.

wow..I protect myself and my business by being extra careful with my hiring practices....and that makes my mentality the same as Nazi Germany, North Korea etc?

I guess I should go out and stand in front of a Prison, and as cons are released, hand them a application which basically asks them their name? I guess asking for anything more than a name is an invasion of their Rights as americans?

Ironically, As EX-CONS, they dont get to have any say in Local or National politics..

I also suppose that I could write in a notation that they dont have to give me their full name or even a legit name.

In 1776 in Philidelphia Pa a group of hard drinking,rabble rousing rebels gathered to draw out a document to outline what this new nation would stand for.That document those deep thinking individuals came up with the constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of rights securing those individuals freedoms.

Those documents are still in effect and mean exactly what they did so long ago.Now why in the world anybody would voluntarily cede those rights that countless ones died defending ,so long ago,amazes me.

Now yes,the law is the law,I can't deny that as fact.You however that would roll over just to be a goody two shoes I really don't understand at all.These personal rights are given by law to us,just for being citizens of this country.I can't in my mind understand why someone would want to be treated as if they lved in the USSR for heavens sake.

The land of the free and home of the brave only remains free if we demand our rights.They are plenty who would like to take those rights away,don't help them do so by being complacent .

I'll leave this alone for a while but I'll get on my soapbox any time on this subject as I feel very strongly about it.

So not wanting to Hire a Felon is Anti-American?

Me Felon Cousin told me that he had a terrible time getting work when he got out of Prison. He said that he would qualify here, there...but when it came down to FELON- (Y/N), he would have to circle Y. He would of course never get the job, as a non-felon applicant is (in the minds of a business owner) more desirable.

Think of this.

If I have a dog that was content, then out of nowhere attacked a child and bit the child, would you feel perfectly comfortable letting YOUR child be near that dog again?

Probably not, the dog now has a "history" that makes the dog less desirable, even though the dog may never ever do it again, there is always that chance of a relapse.

If I were a young kid, 16-17 years old, and I worked at a hardware store, and it got out that I was stealing money and goods from the store, I was arrested and convicted of stealing goods and money.

4-5 years pass

If you owned a hardware store, and I applied for a job there...KNOWING MY HISTORY, would you hire me???

If I have someone apply for a job, and they take a Drug test, and it comes back "positive" for cocaine use, Im sorry, Im NOT going to hire that person. Im not even going to consider them. IF it comes back positive for Marijuana use, that means that at some point in time, they puffed ol mary Jane, more than likely it WASNT a one time deal, and it will progress.

Im limited as am employer as to how I cna go about finding out as much as I can about possible employees...otherwise its "hire them all, and cull the catch as the bad ones make themselves known"

Well Red old buddy,you took it the wrong way.I don't give a hill of beans what you do in your business.You could require all you hire to be dressed in button down shirts and penny loafers for all I care.You can pay them what you can get by with also,which I somehow doubt is very much.

In context I was talking about unreasonable search and siezure.The powers to be have to have a bonafide reason to search your person,property etc not just because they can or they don't like the way you look.

drug test

drug tests are okay for high risk jobs, long haul trucking, heavy machinery operating , timber work. my last boss did a full crew drug test, my second in command foreman failed,not because of illegal drugs but a prescription drug.the company insurance got hold of the info and tripled insurance. you can not guarantee your drug test will not be used against your company for insurance company's risk assessment.drugs can be removed from the world and something else is always there to take the place. people on drugs sometimes need a need a little help in getting clean.
cheers mate's

Well Red old buddy,you took it the wrong way.I don't give a hill of beans what you do in your business.You could require all you hire to be dressed in button down shirts and penny loafers for all I care.You can pay them what you can get by with also,which I somehow doubt is very much.

In context I was talking about unreasonable search and siezure.The powers to be have to have a bonafide reason to search your person,property etc not just because they can or they don't like the way you look.

I know if you go to work at any NEW car lot, just about anywhere, as a salesman you are required to wear a Starched White button down shirt, Slacks, a Tie and the option to wear a coat. I nthe summer months, yo uare required to purchase a "dealer" shirt, some franchises require the more formal dress year round, while a rare few are slighlty more lax.

Some people appreciate cleanliness and uniformity...

I know at my freinds shop, ALL repairmen are required to wear matching buttondown shirts with the company name, and their name on the front. Even the owner wears them.

As a customer you walk in, you know right off who works there, Thats nice.

Im not saying to root through their cars or homes looking for drugs or anything, Im just asking them to confirm to me that they havent used in at least the last month...which is about as far back as a blood or urine test can go. Now, a HAIR sample goes back much further, assuming you get a long one.

If you went to a local STIHL dealer, and the guy behind the counter was trippin out on his latest speedball concoction...you would think poorly of this dealer...yes/no?

drug tests are okay for high risk jobs, long haul trucking, heavy machinery operating , timber work. my last boss did a full crew drug test, my second in command foreman failed,not because of illegal drugs but a prescription drug.the company insurance got hold of the info and tripled insurance. you can not guarantee your drug test will not be used against your company for insurance company's risk assessment.drugs can be removed from the world and something else is always there to take the place. people on drugs sometimes need a need a little help in getting clean.
cheers mate's

Id much rather pay a higher premium because of a Insurance misunderstanding, than have to replace my shop because johnny Speedballer decided to use the torch while I was out for the morning, and set the whole place ablaze, customers equipment, my equipment, tools, records, parts inventory...

Id rather have to say "I didnt hire him because he failed a drug test" than "I knew he failed his grug test, yet I hired him anyways, I regret that in hindsite"

Well Red,that's all fine with me.You could require all your hirlings have flat top or crew cut hair cuts if you so choose,no facial hair or tatoos for all I care.

If you want to go through life always judging a book by it's cover that is your business not mine.You might however be missing out on some very interesting highly productive people though if you have this narrow minded attitude but that is your choosing.Bear in mind though,they could become some of your competiton which is poetic justice.

Then on the other hand,you might be among the crowd that likes to argue just for arguments sake and this is meerly for show.I really don't know,now do I.

Screw it...I give up.

How I became the bad guy here is beyond my comprehension.

Drug testing is the norm now, there is a reason for that. It helps protect the Employer.

I know cons, some are good, some are bad. If I as an employer cant be allowed to learn as much about my "book" as I can, then all I have to go by is the cover.

Id love to find a 25-30 year old person, clean cut, never convicted of a felony, preferably a VERY clean record otherwise, that has good refs, and passes a drug test with flying colors.

Id pay quite a bit to keep this person working for me.

I dont car about Race, or religion...I do care about illegal activities.

If not wanting to hire a known drug user makes me a bad person, and a bad business owner, then so be it. Let the drug users flip burgers and stock shelves at walmart...oops, Walmart requires standard drug testing too...:bang:

Best freind works as a Rural carrier for the USPS. When he was hired 1.5 years ago he underwent rigorous testing and background checks. If he is EVER seen doing any drugs, or comes ot work intoxicated to any degree, the USPS has a 0 tolerance rule. 1 strike and you're out. Its not appealable, you cant question it... if they have evidence you are using drugs, or drinking while deliverign mail...you're gone.

How I became the bad guy here is beyond my comprehension.

You made my list as soon as you said "Come on down", "Tread all over my rights and freedoms", "I have nothing to hide, I'll gladly bend and spread em".

King George is abusing laws written to protect the populace in the name of security using the same illogic, if you have nothing to hide what should it matter?

I spent over 20 years of life in part to guarantee your rights were protected. Then you reply "I have nothing to hide, rape and pillage my freedoms". Really cheapens my contribution, and worse threatens rights I'll die trying to protect.

Franklin said those willing to sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither, GO BEN! This government is so out of touch with the people governed the time for revolt is near! Your attitude hastens that time!!!

I think RED, that it is not the principle of drug testing in theory, or an assault on you.
I am sure that you are a very decent and well intentioned person.
I also believe that rights exist in case, not because.
If you and too many others come to believe that exercising your rights is only for instances where YOU PERSONALLY will benefit, than they will slowly but surely slip away.

I do not intend to insult your intelligence, but I strongly encourage you to read more history. People gave up their rights in exchange for stuff.
That stuff was safety (which you advocate), because it did not affect them personally, (which you also advocated) and because they were promised financial gain. (not sure where you are on that one.)
My point is, little by little, our rights are being eroded, and when it reaches a tipping point, there is no redress of government. The government has total control. We need to exercise our rights to keep the government, and everyone else honest.
Your example of the postal employee, a federal employee, is a sad one. It really shows how the federal government views its "subjects". Do I need to remind you that we are a government of for and by the people?

In my view, if you are trusting with people, they will be trustworthy.
People can rise (and fall) to the level of expectation applied to them.

Also, regarding a comment in which you mentioned customer satisfaction,
I would assume that if an employee was so stoned that it left a bad impression on a customer, you as EMPLOYER might see that as well, and deal with them accordingly.

I am not trying to be an advocate for those that would abuse drugs on the job, nor am I saying that you shouldn't have the right to run your own business as you see fit.
Its just that in my opinion, if you required a drug screening pre-employment, and no one showed up, you might have to revise your position.
Unfortunately, more and more people have been forced due to economic circumstances, to cave in, and pi$$ away their civil rights.

Fail a drug test because you do a little herb, insurance companies are why we have so many BS laws.

Ban drug testing .... this is after all America.

Latest posts

Back