Saw sound solved

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Saw chain sound solved

This morning a guy I know showed me his new big saw, and naturally I had to stick it into some wood. Was making a whirring, chain related sound, that sounded like too tight a chain and bone dry. I took the cover off, verified the saw was oiling okay, and that the chain wasn't too tight. It still made the sound, so I took the cover off again. I noticed the bar was really hot too, which was weird.

I asked him about the sprocket, and he told me it was 3/8. I checked and Voila, it was .404 and he had put a 3/8 chain on it. Swapped sprocket and all was fine.

Thought I'd share the experience as the symptoms/cause were out of my experience and now I know. The sound it made was not quite what I would have expected....

Even with double hearing protection (plugs and muffs, which I always use)I could hear the weird sound better than him. I think it is one of those cases that by knocking out the loud exhaust note, the more mechanical sound from the chain is clearer.

Last edited:
Even with double hearing protection (plugs and muffs, which I always use)I could hear the weird sound better than him. I think it is one of those cases that by knocking out the loud exhaust note, the more mechanical sound from the chain is clearer.

Know what you mean........I have a John Deere 4030 (82hp diesel tractor)
I can hear more engine noise with hearing protection on, with out hearing protection all I hear is exhaust noise.

Back